DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

D value increases when drone is not moving

bthuss

Reactions
in the DJI GO 4 app, i notice that the D value (distance to home point) will immediately start increasing slowly once my mavic and controller is powered on.

i am on the latest firmware (900).

i tried this inside my house and outside with both my iPhone7 and ipad mini4 (wifi only).

in all cases the same effect. GPS signal is strong and no other warnings. i have calibrated the drone compass and no effect.

i am powering in the controller, then the mavic and then starting DJI app. i let the app go from opti/atti to GPS and get a nice signal. even once this is complete there is "drift". i have also tried re-setting the home point using the menu option for mavic location as home (not the controller) and this does not seem to change it other than zeroing the distance D value for a second and then it starts drifting again.

any thoughts or help is appreciated. not sure if i need to calibrate the IMU or not but it says it is good in the app when i click on the "ready to fly" green banner

I've noticed this myself. I first saw this while updating inside my house but just wrote it off. I've not paid enough attention while flying to see if it happens on mine outside as well.

so this value has always drifted for me. for 95% of my flights, the precision RTH returns the drone within roughly 10 feet +_ in x/y direction of the takeoff point and then i can see that the drone then uses the "images" it takes on takeoff to adjust to the exact takeoff point within a couple of inches or less.

but.. for 5% of the cases, it is off by a larger amount (maybe 20 feet) and it usually tries to land to the side and then aborts at about 5 feet.

in all cases when using precision RTH, i am letting it rise up and hover and then i usually let it sit there for about 10 seconds before flying off.

since the accuracy is close or perfect 100% of the time (even when off 20 feet), i usually just watch it and abort the landing if i think i need to. I haven't had any other issues with GPS location being way off or anything so i chalked it off my list LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev