DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Damaged Mavic

dronerdave

Reactions
I was looking at my buddies Mavic on the ground and thought he had installed his extended landing gear backwards but further inspection revealed a cracked front leg just under the motor. We don't know when or why it happened other than he had flown into a tree last October. The tree hit was very light in nature and the craft never hit the ground. All he had noticed was a cracked prop and I would have thought he would have seen the cracked arm. His quad has been flying great and I guess he'd never noticed the issue. So it's off to a shop for repair.
My questions:
It's only 3 months old, but I expect DJI will not cover this under warranty. I assume after its repaired the warranty will still be in affect. He does have some kind of insurance through what Drone World offers but it has a $150 deductible and I don't think it has anything to do with DJI. What kind of cost should he expect to pay DJI?

Should he use DJI only to do the repair being it's still under the primary warranty?

Places like Drone Nerds offer repair services. Does using aftermarket repair companies kill the DJI warranty?

What is the best place to send it off for repair? DJI or other?

Thanks for any suggestions

20171226_143828.jpg

I was looking at my buddies Mavic on the ground and thought he had installed his extended landing gear backwards but further inspection revealed a cracked front leg just under the motor. We don't know when or why it happened other than he had flown into a tree last October. The tree hit was very light in nature and the craft never hit the ground. All he had noticed was a cracked prop and I would have thought he would have seen the cracked arm. His quad has been flying great and I guess he'd never noticed the issue. So it's off to a shop for repair.
My questions:
It's only 3 months old, but I expect DJI will not cover this under warranty. I assume after its repaired the warranty will still be in affect. He does have some kind of insurance through what Drone World offers but it has a $150 deductible and I don't think it has anything to do with DJI. What kind of cost should he expect to pay DJI?

Should he use DJI only to do the repair being it's still under the primary warranty?

Places like Drone Nerds offer repair services. Does using aftermarket repair companies kill the DJI warranty?

View attachment 27528
FWIW - I have sent in 3 different Mavic's for various minor repairs direct to DJI and each time they sent back a brand new drone! Nobody else can do that. And their repair costs were very reasonable IMHO.

My questions:

View attachment 27528
they make 2 part glue made for plastic called fusor that will repair that make it stronger than the rest of the leg

Reactions: Mavic 57
My questions:

View attachment 27528
BTW - that is the easiest DIY repair on the entire mavic. If you can get the leg/cover replacement, its just 3 screws to replace. Or epoxy like JB Weld will fix it stronger than before.

Drone nerds is a DJI authorized repair center.

Thanks I'll let him know.

they make 2 part glue made for plastic called fusor that will repair that make it stronger than the rest of the leg

BTW - that is the easiest DIY repair on the entire mavic. If you can get the leg/cover replacement, its just 3 screws to replace. Or epoxy like JB Weld will fix it stronger than before.

Cost isn't a factor with him (he already purchased a second Mavic) so I figure gluing it is out. Also he does not want a refurbished replacement from DJI even if it means a quicker turn around.

FWIW - I have sent in 3 different Mavic's for various minor repairs direct to DJI and each time they sent back a brand new drone! Nobody else can do that. And their repair costs were very reasonable IMHO.

I'm assuming when DJI sends back a "new" drone, it's actually a refurbished one or am I wrong about that?

jbweld is good but fuzor is a zillion times better,once bonded,other areas will break first.

Thanks I'll let him know.

Cost isn't a factor with him (he already purchased a second Mavic) so I figure gluing it is out. Also he does not want a refurbished replacement from DJI even if it means a quicker turn around.

I'm assuming when DJI sends back a "new" drone, it's actually a refurbished one or am I wrong about that?

I was personally sent 3 brand new (not refurbished) Mavic's from their service department. And there is no quick turn around with DJI service. Expect 4-6 weeks.

Four to six weeks? Well he won't be too happy about the wait but heck, it's only one of the fleet...another Mavic, a P-3 and a Spark. He's in his mid-80s and although is very talented, isn't willing to attempt a repair. Myself I don't mind a battle scare or two but nothing that would compromise the quad. Maybe I should think about another Mavic as a backup. I'd spring for a cheap refurbished one if the price was right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I crashed my mavic into a tree just before Christmas, I received a quote this morning as follows:

Remark: No warranty. Craft has crashed. Damaged parts: left rear motor arm jaw axis cable cover,
gimbal vibration damping module and camera flexible flat cable.
Item Quantity Unit Price(EUR) Total Nett(EUR)
Rear Left Motor Arm 1 18.18
Yaw-axis Cable Cover 1 0.83
Gimbal Vibration Damping Module 1.65
Camera Flexible Flat Cable 2.48
Repair Service Fee 50.00
Freight: 0.00
Discount: -0.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Sub Total Payment: 73.14
VAT(at 21%): 15.36
Grand Total Payment: 88.50

I think 88.5 Euro is more than reasonable.

Last edited:
I crashed my mavic into a tree just before Christmas, I received a quote this morning as follows:

Remark: No warranty. Craft has crashed. Damaged parts: left rear motor arm jaw axis cable cover,
gimbal vibration damping module and camera flexible flat cable.
Item Quantity Unit Price(EUR) Total Nett(EUR)
Rear Left Motor Arm 1 18.18
Yaw-axis Cable Cover 1 0.83
Gimbal Vibration Damping Module 1.65
Camera Flexible Flat Cable 2.48
Repair Service Fee 50.00
Discount: -0.00
Sub Total Payment: 73.14
VAT(at 21%): 15.36
Grand Total Payment: 88.50

I think 88.5 Euro is more than reasonable.
Is that from DJI? That's really cheap on those parts and labor.

That's quite an unbelievable quote from DJI. Better than using up a Care Refresh.

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Camera Co-axis Cable 1 5.00 5.00
Rear Right Motor Arm 1 19.00 19.00
Upper Cover 1 1.00 1.00
Front Left Motor Arm 1 22.00 22.00
Rear Left Motor Arm 1 19.00 19.00
Camera Flexible Flat Cable 1 3.00 3.00
Repair Service Fee 2 65.00/H 130.00
Total Amount: 199.00
Total Payment: 199.00

I'm the dummy who crashed on my first flight Christmas day, and this is what I got from DJI yesterday. I sent it in Tuesday, they got it Thursday, and I'm surprised they had already inspected it on Friday. Also, I'm surprised the bulk of the repair cost is just service since my bird crashed into a huge water tower and then plummeted to the ground almost 200' below. I was really suspecting DJI would have advised me to purchase a replacement due to how much damage was done, so I was pleasantly surprised I got out the door right at $200.00.

Hoping since they got to it so soon, that I will get it back in less than 4 to 6 weeks. I had my P4 back in about 2 weeks after I sent it in for warranty work for the cracked airframe, but that was an actual replacement instead of a repair. We shall see how this goes.

Reactions: davemorts
Crashed mine too, torn gimbal flat flex cable and rubber on the dampening mounting board. YouTubed the repair fairly easy and parts from eBay. Yes could of sent it away to DJI but felt it was my stupidity so adopted a “fix my own f##k up” mentality all works fine

Reactions: ftttu and Afremont
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman