DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dark Video

stikflote

Premium Pilot
Reactions
HI, flew my Mini 2 around garden this afternoon had it on video ,but my S10 screen was dark.

After playing video,s back it was very dark even tho it was daylight,
advice please

Did you accidentally had the camera on manual exposure settings instead of Auto... or maybe had the EV adjustment on a negative value?

Or could it be the screen on the phone itself was set to dark, I have had that happen a time or two.

Reactions: cris972
TO be honest i dont know what the camera settings were i just put phone on and flew about for a bit
can you tell me what settings i should try out,would grateful

Just sitting here in front PC so i put kit together and looked at camera settings ive hopefully
reset to its default settings

keith

Last edited:
The camera settings might be in the EXIF data, have you looked at that? I can never remember what it records for video.

LOL whats the EXIF data, this flying game is getting very complicated
Look for the file in Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, and select "properties > details" Scroll down and you will see the ISO, shutter speed, etc.

LOL whats the EXIF data, this flying game is getting very complicated
Exif doesn't apply to video.

Set up your drone again and the settings should be what they were when you last flew.
If your video and screen were very dark, that was due to incorrect exposure settings.
If you had manual exposure settings, they were wrong and the shutter speed was too high.
If you were using autoexposure and letting the camera decide what settings to use, you might have accidentally dialled in too much exposure compensation and set the camera to underexpose beyond what it would have chosen.

Here are what the settings look like for Manual (above) and Auto (below).
i-mqqQxrH-M.jpg

Look for the EV value in the lower right of your screen to see what Exposure Compensation has been set to.
It should be a number close to zero.
If it's saying -2.0 or -3.0 that's too much exposure compensation and will make the screen and video too dark.

Look for the file in Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, and select "properties > details" Scroll down and you will see the ISO, shutter speed, etc.
That doesn't apply to video files.

So thats why i cant find an EXIF folder in my explorer., checking camera on my mini2 it did show manual on button
ive set it back to auto will try ang fly it round garden and see what happens

So thats why i cant find an EXIF folder in my explorer., checking camera on my mini2 it did show manual on button
ive set it back to auto will try ang fly it round garden and see what happens
Sorry about that, my mistake.
If you download and install Picture Information Extractor if will show you the EXIF data stored in your photos, quite scary what big brother records lol.

Sorry about that, my mistake.
If you download and install Picture Information Extractor if will show you the EXIF data stored in your photos, quite scary what big brother records lol.
The most "scary" thing is that it records the position and height of the drone.
Otherwise it's just a lot of camera and gimbal settings.

I flew for the first time this year on a sunny day with my P4Pv1, on auto, and my photos came out darker than normal. Using a 16 filter. Maybe I should take the filter off or go down to 8. Video was fine. Time to experiment.

I flew for the first time this year on a sunny day with my P4Pv1, on auto, and my photos came out darker than normal. Using a 16 filter. Maybe I should take the filter off or go down to 8. Video was fine. Time to experiment.
Whether the filter made any difference to the exposure, depends on how you are setting the exposure.
If you are using auto exposure, the camera will adjust for the reduction in light due to the filter and any underexposure would because you have exposure compensation set too far in the negative.

If you used manual exposure settings, you just set exposure incorrectly.
If you are unsure, upload a full-size original jpg to Dropbox or similar and post a link.
I'd be able to work out how you were setting exposure from the metadata.

Hello i ve fixed the the dark screen its now the light screen lol
it was as someone said is on manual it was., ive altered it to auto and that fixed that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078