DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Resolve 14

Peter Ho

Reactions
Had my DJI Mavic Pro for almost half a year by now. Have learnt most of the maneuvers of flying and settings and what they do and what will happen if not set properly. Had a few knocks on the way tho.

However the moment has come to make the choice. Which video editor to use?

I have read and googled on the available ones. As basically a photographer, I have no idea on how to use a video editor tho the video shots I made on my drone were copycats shots... ie monkey see... monkey do. But still the shots were made.

There were so many comments about what I wanted to choose.... slow, crashes...incompatible etc... Anyway I made the choice and downloaded Davinci Resolve 14 the free version (I called up the local reseller to buy the studio but was advised to use the free one).

I am happy with the download and make my first video from the clips I shot tho very amateurish in nature. But what I am trying to put forward is that Davinci Resolve will work fine as long as you have the minimum specs on your hardware to run it....

I use an i7, gtx760 2g asus gpu, z97pro motherboard, 16g ram, 2k monitor.

Well hope to put my 4k monitor which I have in cold storage as it runs real slow on photoshop using the gtx760 to test when I upgrade to gtx1080 real soon.

and for there are dozens of tutorials to help us out. TQ to the gurus and the support on this forum by other member.

I love Resolve 14. It is so logic compared to Premiere Pro. I have a 16GB i7 Dell XPS system with a AMD Radion GX550 4GB and a 4K monitor. Runs like a hot knife through butter, compared with the Radion R9 270 2GB that was originally installed. I don't even have to use proxies or optimised media, I just edit in 4K. With the R9 it was simply undoable to edit 4K without having to reboot every 30 minutes.

The AMD Radion GX 550 4GB is awsome, maybe not for games but for editing in resolve it is pretty good. The next best thing that really makes a difference is costing at least twice as much. And it runs very quite. You can overclock it if you want but the default settings are ok for me.

I use Resolve and am amazed by the capabilities the free version gives you. Save the money you would spend on software and put it into hardware; RAM and powerful video card, and your experience will be better.

I use Resolve and am amazed by the capabilities the free version gives you. Save the money you would spend on software and put it into hardware; RAM and powerful video card, and your experience will be better.
exactly

Had my DJI Mavic Pro for almost half a year by now. Have learnt most of the maneuvers of flying and settings and what they do and what will happen if not set properly. Had a few knocks on the way tho.

However the moment has come to make the choice. Which video editor to use?

I have read and googled on the available ones. As basically a photographer, I have no idea on how to use a video editor tho the video shots I made on my drone were copycats shots... ie monkey see... monkey do. But still the shots were made.

There were so many comments about what I wanted to choose.... slow, crashes...incompatible etc... Anyway I made the choice and downloaded Davinci Resolve 14 the free version (I called up the local reseller to buy the studio but was advised to use the free one).

I am happy with the download and make my first video from the clips I shot tho very amateurish in nature. But what I am trying to put forward is that Davinci Resolve will work fine as long as you have the minimum specs on your hardware to run it....

I use an i7, gtx760 2g asus gpu, z97pro motherboard, 16g ram, 2k monitor.

Well hope to put my 4k monitor which I have in cold storage as it runs real slow on photoshop using the gtx760 to test when I upgrade to gtx1080 real soon.

and for there are dozens of tutorials to help us out. TQ to the gurus and the support on this forum by other member.
with the gtx1080 it will run great.

Hope the GTX1080 will do the job in getting the 4k monitor to run. Just waiting for the currency drop. I live in Malaysia. The exchange rate is over RM4 to a USD

360 degrees
My first video using Davinci Resolve 14
I am a newbie at Resolve but try using a centered Cross Dissolve to merge your clips. It makes a less abrupt transition between clips.

I love Resolve 14. It is so logic compared to Premiere Pro. I have a 16GB i7 Dell XPS system with a AMD Radion GX550 4GB and a 4K monitor. Runs like a hot knife through butter, compared with the Radion R9 270 2GB that was originally installed. I don't even have to use proxies or optimised media, I just edit in 4K. With the R9 it was simply undoable to edit 4K without having to reboot every 30 minutes.

The AMD Radion GX 550 4GB is awsome, maybe not for games but for editing in resolve it is pretty good. The next best thing that really makes a difference is costing at least twice as much. And it runs very quite. You can overclock it if you want but the default settings are ok for me.
hey Lake_flyer.

hey Lake_Flyer. I have a question. I just received my dell inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop for christmas. i7 quad core, 16 gigs ram, 512gig SSD OS drive, 1TB data drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 gig of dedicated graphics memory and 4k monitor. just downloaded davinci resolve 14 and tried to render a couple of clips and the program rendered what I clipped but the rendered video is black without a picture. i'm pretty sure the computer can handle what i'm trying to do, just don't know why my rendered product doesn't have a video. also I'm very new to editing. I've had my mavic pro since oct 2017, so I have many clips to try and edit. number 1. i'm hoping the computer will handle what i'm trying to do and 2. what am I doing wrong? thanks for the help in advance.

There are a lot of Resolve how-to videos on YouTube. I am a Resolve newbie myself and have found a lot of help there.

hey Lake_flyer.

hey Lake_Flyer. I have a question. I just received my dell inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop for christmas. i7 quad core, 16 gigs ram, 512gig SSD OS drive, 1TB data drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 gig of dedicated graphics memory and 4k monitor. just downloaded davinci resolve 14 and tried to render a couple of clips and the program rendered what I clipped but the rendered video is black without a picture. i'm pretty sure the computer can handle what i'm trying to do, just don't know why my rendered product doesn't have a video. also I'm very new to editing. I've had my mavic pro since oct 2017, so I have many clips to try and edit. number 1. i'm hoping the computer will handle what i'm trying to do and 2. what am I doing wrong? thanks for the help in advance.

update. I have finally gotten it to render a video clip I can actually watch. just trying to figure out what I did to get it to work. LOL. I know. i'm sad.

The video I posted was also done with the aid of the tutorials found on Resolve 14... thanks to all the kind souls. Happy New Year!

update. I have finally gotten it to render a video clip I can actually watch. just trying to figure out what I did to get it to work. LOL. I know. i'm sad.

Checking on the output of the clips I made from Resolve 14, there was one clip where it was totally black without any images but with sound and had a whopping size of over 3gb. The others which I had done while fiddling with the settings in the deliver .... I was able to get one as in my posting here as I wanted a small file to post up the net... even then it was 160mb over.

Would be just great to fiddle around the setting and write it down for future reference or check on tutorials and focus on the settings used.
Newbie 2 Newbie.

Attachments

• setting.JPG
    setting.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 17
Checking on the output of the clips I made from Resolve 14, there was one clip where it was totally black without any images but with sound and had a whopping size of over 3gb. The others which I had done while fiddling with the settings in the deliver .... I was able to get one as in my posting here as I wanted a small file to post up the net... even then it was 160mb over.

Would be just great to fiddle around the setting and write it down for future reference or check on tutorials and focus on the settings used.
Newbie 2 Newbie.
Thanks Peter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998