Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Resolve - Question about exporting LUTs

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

Hello all!

I am hoping someone will enlighten me about this. I use a corrective LUT from FilmPoets made for Mavic Air D-Cinelike footage as a starting point for my color grading in Davinci Resolve. The LUT works great and the footage is acceptable as is without me needing to do further tweaks most of the time. But at times, I find myself making a lot of adjustments and tweaks here and there in a process that may take well over half an hour or more for a particular clip. After all that work and once I am satisfied with the look of the clip, I want to save this for future use in similar clips (sunsets over water being a frequent theme in my footage).

So I go to the Color tab, right click on the thumbnail of the clip I have worked on, and click on "Generate 3D LUT" and save the LUT. But when I open a new project and apply that LUT to similar footage, the outcome in now way resembles the look of the clip from which the LUT was generated. For me, it looks like the later clip is missing the initial adjustments made by applying the FilmPoets LUT. So when I am generating the LUT, is it only the adjustments I made after applying the FP LUT that are being saved in the LUT I am exporting? I tried applying the FP LUT first and then the LUT I exported in sequence but that doesn't seem to work either. So I am assuming there is no sequqntial application of multiple LUTs in Davinci Resolve; or am I missing something here? I can't figure this out by myself guys (and gals). I will greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Can not answer your question but i am a member of a facebook group, " How To DaVinci Resolve" where there is a wealth of knowledge on DR available.

Hello all!

I am hoping someone will enlighten me about this. I use a corrective LUT from FilmPoets made for Mavic Air D-Cinelike footage as a starting point for my color grading in Davinci Resolve. The LUT works great and the footage is acceptable as is without me needing to do further tweaks most of the time. But at times, I find myself making a lot of adjustments and tweaks here and there in a process that may take well over half an hour or more for a particular clip. After all that work and once I am satisfied with the look of the clip, I want to save this for future use in similar clips (sunsets over water being a frequent theme in my footage).

So I go to the Color tab, right click on the thumbnail of the clip I have worked on, and click on "Generate 3D LUT" and save the LUT. But when I open a new project and apply that LUT to similar footage, the outcome in now way resembles the look of the clip from which the LUT was generated. For me, it looks like the later clip is missing the initial adjustments made by applying the FilmPoets LUT. So when I am generating the LUT, is it only the adjustments I made after applying the FP LUT that are being saved in the LUT I am exporting? I tried applying the FP LUT first and then the LUT I exported in sequence but that doesn't seem to work either. So I am assuming there is no sequqntial application of multiple LUTs in Davinci Resolve; or am I missing something here? I can't figure this out by myself guys (and gals). I will greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!
Strange. Always worked for me including grades that included LUTs. Are you using a 33 or 65 point cube not Panasonic V-lut? Not sure if that makes a difference or not. You could post your issue on the BMD Resolve forum. I've usually gotten great help with DR issues there.

If you can't get it sorted out, another option would be to create a powergrade. This saves you whole node structure (like a still) and you can easily apply it to other clips across all projects. Just Google "how to create PowerGrades" and you'll find some tutorials.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78