DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with local and state law enforcement (US)

Dannyslam

Reactions
I haven't to date (knock on wood) had to deal with local LEOs or state police while flying. However if I am ever approached I'd like to know my rights. I am part 107 and have heard I don't have to flash my license to anyone but a FAA field agent. Is this true?
If the officer is being unreasonable and pushing his authority beyond it's limits is it best to move on or request a lieutenant? Or do I try to reach out for a FAA field agent for support?

All of this being asked In both capacities recreational and commercial. Following all guidelines. Lets just say the call or complaint originated from annoyance and nothing more. Or something stupider like someone claiming that you are spying on them. So nothing credible other than "oh he's flying a drone and that must be illegal here for no other reason than I think it should be"

Hopefully, the cop is a reasonable guy - most are. Just because he's been sent to investigate doesn't mean he's looking to give you a hard time. Most likely, you can politely and respectfully educate him on the law and show that you have good intentions and he'll leave you alone.

In the rare situation where you get a jerk cop or if he refuses to be reasonable, just say "yes sir" and move on.

In my experience, cops really aren't that scary - just people like you and me.

I have a lot of friends and family that worked in Law enforcement. Most of them have more important things to do but there are a few just want to get it done and move on.
Rule number one..... Ask them to tell what they want and just tell me, then move on.
Rule number two..... If they want to know then talk to them. If they don't then move on.
About the stupidest thing to do is argue with them.
You can ask them if they have time to talk about it, if not then move on.
If you get to know them and talk about it then you might have someone on your side.
Remember their name and it might be possible to have that officer contact them. The more of them you have on your side the better off you will be.
They are just like anyone else. You would not want anyone coming into where you work and messing up your day.
Of course this just my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to show it to any police officers that asks. It used to just be representatives of the Director of the FAA. The latest set of rules (2018 FAA Reauthorization Act) included law enforcement.

But even if it didn't, you should anyway.

When there is an issue with someone asking for our card, and you don't want to show it to them (crazy people notwithstanding), all you'll end up doing it escalating the situation.

If I'm ever asked, I'll ask them to wait until I land, and I'd be more than happy to talk with them. If I'm in the middle of a job, I'll tell them how long I have left to fly, then I'll land and talk to them.

If they insist on my landing it immediately, I'll adjust accordingly. If necessary, I'll explain to them that interfering with a flight is dangerous, as well as a federal offense (18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities), and that I'm more than happy to discuss this once I land.

if they still insist, I'll and and have them call their supervisor to the scene. I don't know if it's universal, but where I live they have to show up.

I'll explain to the supervisor what the situation is.

Below are two links. I suggest everyone (in the U.S.) print these out and keep a copy with them. Maybe even two, so you have one to give away.

LEO guidance: https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf

LEO Card (print out a few of these): https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/Law_Enforcement_Drone_Card.pdf

Best to be respectful and move on..

I see ur from Arkansas, I’m from Searcy...

I live in Little Rock! Nice to see another Arkie on the threads.
Thank you guys for the excellent replies. And clearing up who I have to show my license to.

If the officer is being unreasonable and pushing his authority beyond it's limits is it best to move on or request a lieutenant? Or do I try to reach out for a FAA field agent for support?
All great advice given to you already. Unless you are ready to be questioned or possibly detained, it is always best to just move on and address the situation later. This is of course unless you really are trying to make a statement and fight it in court, which few of us have the time or money to do. Even when you are right and the office is wrong, the office always wins on the scene.

Lastly, a call to the FAA field agent would generally be useless at that point. The FAA's mission is to promote safety. They have no mandate nor desire to defend a RPIC even if you are following all rules and regulations. That is not their job.

Reactions: Dannyslam
Prevention of confrontation is best.
If I’m flying and controlling an aircraft from a legal site where people may wander I wear a bright yellow safety vest. Emblazoned on the back in BIG letters is
“Do not disturb​
FAA Commercial Pilot”​
On the front is a clear license holder with the FAA license on display.
This vest was a $ 25 investment that creates silence and an “official “ presence. Seems to work out fine. No one seems to want to get LEO involved with an official FAA PILOT!

So run the same scenario but in a commercial sense. You're operating on private property, All of your equipment is on the same property, and the flight only takes place in the above airspace. However a neighboring owner or even competing company calls the police due to your presence. You've been hired and are being compensated for your work on private property. Now what? Do you abandon the mission? I'm not saying it's even likely that you'll have an unruly or power hungry officer...But what if you do? And if so and it seems the only peaceful resolution is to quit the mission how do you explain this to the hiring company? Me personally I would leave and seek out a higher authority with whatever enforcement has caused me to leave.

Again these are all hypotheticals to which I'm looking for a general consensus on the best way to handle these situations. I have friends who are police officers who would likely laugh at the call to come handle a drone buzzing around.

Prevention of confrontation is best.
If I’m flying and controlling an aircraft from a legal site where people may wander I wear a bright yellow safety vest. Emblazoned on the back in BIG letters is
“Do not disturb​
FAA Commercial Pilot”​
On the front is a clear license holder with the FAA license on display.
This vest was a $ 25 investment that creates silence and an “official “ presence. Seems to work out fine. No one seems to want to get LEO involved with an official FAA PILOT!

Link please!

Yes, you have to show it to any police officers that asks. It used to just be representatives of the Director of the FAA. The latest set of rules (2018 FAA Reauthorization Act) included law enforcement.

But even if it didn't, you should anyway.

When there is an issue with someone asking for our card, and you don't want to show it to them (crazy people notwithstanding), all you'll end up doing it escalating the situation.

If I'm ever asked, I'll ask them to wait until I land, and I'd be more than happy to talk with them. If I'm in the middle of a job, I'll tell them how long I have left to fly, then I'll land and talk to them.

If they insist on my landing it immediately, I'll adjust accordingly. If necessary, I'll explain to them that interfering with a flight is dangerous, as well as a federal offense (18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities), and that I'm more than happy to discuss this once I land.

if they still insist, I'll and and have them call their supervisor to the scene. I don't know if it's universal, but where I live they have to show up.

I'll explain to the supervisor what the situation is.

Below are two links. I suggest everyone (in the U.S.) print these out and keep a copy with them. Maybe even two, so you have one to give away.

LEO guidance: https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf

LEO Card (print out a few of these): https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/Law_Enforcement_Drone_Card.pdf
Great resources - thanks for providing the links!

I was flying last Sunday throughout the neighborhood. A police officer asked if I was recording him. I said, yes. He laughed and moved on. I'm ex leo so I know what I can do and it's not their business unless a crime is in progress, or has been committed, and I'm on public property. Most cops just wanna be a drone pilot too. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Dannyslam
IMO there are number of things that can help because you never know when you're going to be challenged by law enforcement or someone else. The first thing (IMHO) "Don't throw attitude". If you're in the middle of flying you tell them " I'm happy to discuss this with you but I need to safely land my drone first so we can talk". In the process try to determine if it is a real person of authority or a jackass who just wants to make trouble. If legitimate authority, acknowledge the concerns first then you can address them. I think it is helpful to research the federal, state and local laws and ordinances and have them printed out and with you if possible. Then you can respectfully say "I want to stay fully within the law and have done my research. Here is what it says" showing them the printout. "I want to stay in compliance, so what would you have me do beyond what I'm showing here?". Again, respect, concern, consideration and advance knowledge and documentation can go a long way. It may be your opportunity to educate someone where they themselves are unaware of the laws or conflicts in them.

If on private property try to get written permission, authorization or something in writing. I've called or written ahead a number of times and I think you get a ton of respect and consideration when you take the time to do that. In fact, I sought out a local authority asking what I needed to do to get permission to fly in an area and learned that he was a pilot himself. He said to email him when I intended to fly and he'd send out a message to the police and other authorities notifying them of my inteded presence. Can't hardly do better than that. I did have one instance where I was on private property with written permission. When the security guard approached me (as I was already in the air) I reached in my back pocket, pulled out the printed email, handed it to him and 10 seconds later I got a "thank you very much sir" and he was on his way.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quad Craft
Be cool. Do what they ask and be friendly.

If you are a legal eagle with them you have already escalated the situation and made it adverse.

Your experience at that time may come to nothing but they now know you are problem if you are difficult. It all goes into the computer. Even without your name they have ways of identifying you. There are so many changing and difficult to find laws, regulation, jurisdictions and ordinances that if they want to find something to make an issue of they can.

The easiest answer is: I checked but did not find anything that prohibited me from flying here and I have authorization to fly in this restricted airspace or it is unrestricted. My mistake.

Private security and rental cops are another story. Just don't let things get to a point with them where they actually call real law enforcement.

Reactions: vindibona1
In my case, I was flying near a RR track. Someone called the police. The police officer that was sent dealt with a prior incident where a drone commited an act of terror over a nearby railroad station. I could hear the tension in the officer’s voice as he commanded me to let go of the controls. As it was “rush hour” it would have been a disaster to let the drone fly away and distract local traffic.

That WAS TENSE. I cooperated and went to the police station in a patty wagon to get booked. Had I been accused of terrorism, life as I know it would have changed. I had to pay $4000 to put a lawyer, who knew nothing about drones or FAA law on a retainer. The case was thrown out because my video showed that I was not flying from RR property as accused. But ... the ill will toward drones led the judge to fine me a lessor included offense (similar to if I did not mow my lawn and degraded the neighborhood) of $900. I have never in my life had any issue with the law and my father-in-law was a former justice of the peace in this town. That did not matter. This incident was a total act of mis-justice. We need a national legal support center to turn to.

Now, I only fly in unpopulated country side far from the maddened crowd.

In my case, I was flying near a RR track. Someone called the police. The police officer that was sent dealt with a prior incident where a drone commited an act of terror over a nearby railroad station. I could hear the tension in the officer’s voice as he commanded me to let go of the controls. As it was “rush hour” it would have been a disaster to let the drone fly away and distract local traffic.

That WAS TENSE. I cooperated and went to the police station in a patty wagon to get booked. Had I been accused of terrorism, life as I know it would have changed. I had to pay $4000 to put a lawyer, who knew nothing about drones or FAA law on a retainer. The case was thrown out because my video showed that I was not flying from RR property as accused. But ... the ill will toward drones led the judge to fine me a lessor included offense (similar to if I did not mow my lawn and degraded the neighborhood) of $900. I have never in my life had any issue with the law and my father-in-law was a former justice of the peace in this town. That did not matter. This incident was a total act of mis-justice. We need a national legal support center to turn to.

Now, I only fly in unpopulated country side far from the maddened crowd.
I don't know where you are in the world, but if that was in the U.S., it's a totally bogus charge. Sucks you had to go through all of that.

I don't know where you are in the world, but if that was in the U.S., it's a totally bogus charge. Sucks you had to go through all of that.
Yes, I would appeal that fine and tell them to produce the harmed person, accuser, or damage. No big deal, but no harm no foul. Truly bogus

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser