DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Debating on a drone

Unless I had some specific need with respect to camera features above the Mavic Pro I would go with the Mavic Pro with Ocusync. Captain Drone does a comparison of flying around a wooded area using the Pro (Ocusync) against a Mavic Air (wifi). The transmission with the Pro had no break-ups while the Air experience some break-ups as the distance and density of the woods between the drone and controller increased.

Mavic Pro versus Mavic Air

Reactions: Firefighter90
...I hate for it to just sit on my desk.
...Though i thought about something cheaper.
...I don't want to spend a fortune though
...I want my money to be well spent.

...Im to the point of just going ahead and get the mavic 2...

:D

You are indeed a fast walker!

Thinking that buying the most expensive will make you least disappointed & that you don't need to take a decision ... I'm with you there at least in theory. But the M2:s also have their problems that will piss you off & spending those $$$ will make you even more... dissatisfied so to speak.

As you aren't sure about the drone thing to start with ... go with the cheapest which tick most of your boxes, learn if it's something for you, if the interest grows on you & you miss something, sell then upgrade based on own experience and knowledge.

What will hurt most ... chew bushes with a thingy worth $700-900 or $1500-2000?

:D

You are indeed a fast walker!

Thinking that buying the most expensive will make you least disappointed & that you don't need to take a decision ... I'm with you there at least in theory. But the M2:s also have their problems that will piss you off & spending those $$$ will make you even more... dissatisfied so to speak.

As you aren't sure about the drone thing to start with ... go with the cheapest which tick most of your boxes, learn if it's something for you, if the interest grows on you & you miss something, sell then upgrade based on own experience and knowledge.

What will hurt most ... chew bushes with a thingy worth $700-900 or $1500-2000?

LOL.

I've used a cheap drone before that my buddy had. Thing was uncontrollable..very cheap. Had like video that was the lowest resolution ever created.

I like taking pictures and videos, but I am also a tight wad in some cases...got bills to pay like everyone else.

I don't want to get something and come back later and regret it; though that happens from time to time. Though, I could sell it..may take a little loss. I do rather purchase something that will suit me VS regretting to get it because the image quality sucks.

Then again, I see people can make money with drones and that could be beneficial if I get something that shoots good pictures and videos.

I am wishy washy when it comes to this and spending money for something I potentially don't need. I am thinking, why should I spend my money for something my job should provide to protect their assets? I take pride in my job and hate when people steal. So I figured a drone would easily catch people out in the woods and I could easily navigate the law enforcement to them.

Then, I also have my farm. I like to keep an eye on the boundary and see any potential trespasser. I can also take some pictures and videos of nature, but knowing my luck. I'll upload them to my computer like every other photo/video and forget about them or run out of storage space.

Vacation pictures? I rarely go anywhere unless a wildfire breaks out in different States, but we can't have personal drones there anyways.

I don't know if I am talking myself out of it or trying to justify it. Is it a want or a need? I guess the final decision is up to me.

Seems like everyone enjoys it on here...

I appreciate yall's help.

I may get the drone and just go crazy with it and start taking photography and videos.

But I mainly wanted to get one to use basically as a surveillance. I live in the flatwoods of Georgia, so it is kind of hard to see what is going on unless you are right there with whatever is going on.

My work is supposedly getting a higher end DJI to use for our Forestry work, but it won't be here all the time.

But I looked at the Mini and being in the woods..I'd like something with obstacle avoidance.

I am leaning toward the Mavic Pro especially with what zoom it has.

Then again, I was thinking about the Parrot Anafi.

I need range too
I've had my Mavic Pro out well over a mile and had a great signal. But that is in direct line of sight. I just figure better transmission/reception helps when working at a reasonable distance in heavy a tree area. Depending on the terrain, you might be surprised how visual line of sight can hold you back. Trees block sight and signal so you need to pay close attention even with avoidance sensors. I'd suggest trying to find someone with a good DJI multirotor and see if it will work for you in the environment you're planning to operate in.

Sales are good these days on the Mavic 2 pro or the Mavic 2 zoom but you also might consider researching a refurbished MP setup.

I've had my Mavic Pro out well over a mile and had a great signal. But that is in direct line of sight. I just figure better transmission/reception helps when working at a reasonable distance in heavy a tree area. Depending on the terrain, you might be surprised how visual line of sight can hold you back. Trees block sight and signal so you need to pay close attention even with avoidance sensors. I'd suggest trying to find someone with a good DJI multirotor and see if it will work for you in the environment you're planning to operate in.

Sales are good these days on the Mavic 2 pro or the Mavic 2 zoom but you also might consider researching a refurbished MP setup.

I found a renewed MP1 Standard for $659 and a renewed MP2 for $1,094.00.

So a little price difference, but if the MP2 will pick up better then might as well get it?

I don't know anyone around here with a DJI drone

OP, I would wait until after Christmas, and look on Ebay for a great deal on an Evo or a Mavic 2 Zoom.

With reported January release/announcement dates for Evo 2 and Mavic 3, a lot of people will be selling of their Evo 1 or Mavic 2s.

You could probably find a Mavic 2 Zoom for 900 bucks after Christmas, used on ebay. Or an Autel Evo for 700, used on ebay after Christmas.

The Evo has an occusync-like proprietary transmission system that is better than wifi, and it has up to 8x digital zoom. If you're doing surveillance, 8x digital zoom might be more useful than the Mavic 2 Zoom's 4x lossless zoom, even if the 8x digital zoom on the Evo loses image quality. For surveillance, you want to be able to get the biggest image possible on your smart phone or tablet screen, for real-time information.

No one (except the pros) needs a drone. I buy them because I love new toys. I have a Mini, an Air, and a Mavic2 Pro. Most of my flying is VOLS. I am not a camera tweeker. I just set everything on auto and let it roll. Honestly, I think the most "bang for the buck" is the Mavic Air.

Honestly, I think the most "bang for the buck" is the Mavic Air.
It does have some nice advantages but the range is better with the old Mavic pros occusync and the OP is in a more forested area. I still suggest the OP find someone with most any DJI drone and see if it's what's needed to work with the expected results. The red flag here is surveillance and unless you knew somebody was on your property, setting up, taking off to hope to capture trespassers under heavy cover might be more difficult than thought. Game cameras might be a better choice. Now the Enterprise with infrared camera... the problem is cost was mentioned.

I have made my decision. I'm going to wait. Especially since a new year is about to begin and possibly a newer model drone will be made. Maybe it will have a nice camera with the zoom feature OR the price of the MP2/MPZ will drop. I've done fine without a drone for this long...I can wait some more before I put money out.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Skyflyer129
The Mavic Pro 2 has a better camera than the Mavic Pro, but so what? Unless you really know and understand the differences AND know how to take advantage of them, then buying the more expensive camera only gets you more expensive photos with larger file sizes.

The most important differences between a mediocre photo and a great photo are all about the person taking the photo. The most expensive camera with the best technical features is worthless if the person taking the photo doesn't know how to use them. Regardless of the camera's technical specifications, it's still mostly about choice of subject, composition, lighting, etc..

Nick

Well I don’t want to mess with your head anymore. But maybe look into the platinum. It’s kinda between the mavic 1 and mavic 2 series. Just another one to think about. However if you can wait I agree in the January area would be better to buy something.

Well I don’t want to mess with your head anymore. But maybe look into the platinum. It’s kinda between the mavic 1 and mavic 2 series. Just another one to think about. However if you can wait I agree in the January area would be better to buy something.
The platinum only offers a slightly better flight time and marginally better camera for most.

I saw the Evo and supposedly EVO 2 coming out which supposedly has a good camera plus zooming capabilities. But 8k? I have thought about this after the guy I work with (who uses the Mavic drone) said.....4k and 8k videos require a good computer to modify the video and most people (like some of you have stated in other post I have looked in) can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4k unless they're a professional photographer or videographer. He also said his Mavic Pro can fly 3 miles in our area with our pines.

I have nothing that can use 4K other than my Samsung S10+. 4k videos I've made lags on my Viao computer unless I downgrade to 1080p.

Who knows? I may upgrade to a 4K TV one day and a laptop, but I have no plans right now.

I just want something that has good clarity, good pictures and video, flies for awhile, flies some distance and has good obstacle avoidance to use in the woods.

I have 3 drones now and when people ask me what is a good starter I tell them buy a spark and learn to fly and you can always sell it for what you originally paid which is what I have done twice already. In general the MA is the best all around DJI drone especially if you like compass calibrations :) but it like all DJI products is burdened with the NFZ updates and restrictions. And if you want to use it for work, even to just check your parking lot you will need to be 107 certified same as farmers who use the drone to check crops. I doubt any farmer will be 107 as they would never get caught and it's a dumb rule. My next drone will be the Skydio 2 for many reasons. It's a good idea to start cheap and work your way up rather than make an expensive mistake.

Reactions: Firefighter90

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh