DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DELETING FILES ON DRONE

can anyone tell me how to delete footage on drone without formatting card ,or removing card

What was your intention in asking about a solution where you should not format (or remove) the card?

I always try LongpathTool for deleting files, which is difficult to delete by normal operation.

YES I WILL THANK YOU ITS A LOT EASIER THAN HOOKING UP THE DRONE ON PC THANKS

Ya I'm looking for a way as well. I remember the says over a decade ago when that's what we had to do with digital cameras. Hooking the thing up to a PC seems a bit archaic.

Just a thought, I never fiddle with physically delicate MicroSD cards always opting to connect the device to my PC. I then copy the files to local folder and Format the card using the DJI Go app before I fly. One inconvenience in going with a freshly formatted card is the file numbering sequence will start over. It just something to be aware of. Depending on the way you import photos this may not be an issue at all. Worst case is your PC will report ‘file already exists, choose which files to keep’, choose all.

The micro SD card is fairly durable more so than the USB port the USB port is more likely to wear out from use that the SD card! And probably cheaper the replace than a worn USB port.

The micro SD card is fairly durable more so than the USB port the USB port is more likely to wear out from use that the SD card! And probably cheaper the replace than a worn USB port.

I wish they had a wireless way to transfer the files something just for file transfer

Reactions: Hoobness
Reactions: Hoobness
Options for video are mp4 or mov
Mov is an apple format but there aren't any issues playing it or editing it in Windows or Android, although some players might complain.
If you have Apple playing mp4 is possibly more hassle.
The two options are basically just a different type of compression, there isn't much to choose between them quality wise.
MP4 is probably more widely used in *everything else*
Often times you can just rename the extension. I do this all the time, capturing in .mov in the MP, but then to play back on my 4k smart tv i have to change the extension to .mp4 Works great!

I too remove the SD after each flight, transfer the images to my editor and delete them from the card.

That not only means I have all of the cards capacity available for each flying session, it also doesn't require the use of a drone battery, the RC battery nor the devices battery to be involved. It also means I never need to reformat the card as I think that will cause the file index mode to reset to 000 even if you have selected continuous resulting the possibility of duplicate file names.

I never need to reformat the card as I think that will cause the file index mode to reset to 000 even if you have selected continuous resulting the possibility of duplicate file names.

This doesn't happen, it is still best to format when start up next time after you put the card back in.
Most likely nothing bad will happen but the risk is lessened by formatting and you can do it while it acquires satellites. If you format there's no need to delete files beforehand either so it takes no longer.

This applies to all digital cameras but video is demanding and writes and overwrites vast amounts of data.

I think all the comments on this thread so far apply to removing/deleting files form the externally removable SD card on a Mavic. But here is ALSO an internal SD card that you cannot remove without partially disassembling your drone, and this file holds flight data also. And this SD card is delete-protected so you can't just delete files from it easily.

Other than disassembly of the drone, removal of the card, switching off the delete-protection, deleting or reformatting, and then reversing this process to put it all back together, is there a way to delete the contents of that internal SD card?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J