DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DENIED!

Ebruce

Reactions
Just started a one week vacation! My plans are to simply work around the house and the yard and, to of course fly the Mav Pro at a really scenic park in Davie, FL.
I made sure all hardware was charged and ready to go --- shook my son at 7am as he was also really excited about the plans. We packed lunch and stuffed as many drinks in the cooler as possible.. Car charger-check / extra batteries-check / I-pad-check / etc....etc...
Paid the front gate admission and asked the guard if there were any issues with flying the drone there. He replied I don't believe so. All smiles from there.. 150ft later we were greeted by---->noDrones.jpg

I should have known. .beautiful park but no dice!
What strikes me is the guard did not realize that this sign was a stone throws away! lol
either way we stayed and enjoyed the nature trail's...WIN WIN..
Really cool park to bring the kids too.---->treetops.jpg

Reactions: jointeffort
Did you call the number listed to see what they have to say? Maybe call the tower and talk with them about it.

Looks like that park is at least 6 miles from the outskirts of FLL, and entirely outside of Miamis airspace. so not sure why they are restricting drones. If you go just a little bit west of there, there are a few other parks around the area but those might also be restricted. Looks like anything west of I-75 is not controlled, but then that the Glades.

tree tops.jpg

tree tops_002.jpg

Looks like that park is at least 6 miles from the outskirts of FLL, and entirely outside of Miamis airspace. so not sure why they are restricting drones. If you go just a little bit west of there, there are a few other parks around the area but those might also be restricted. Looks like anything west of I-75 is not controlled, but then that the Glades.

View attachment 10235

View attachment 10242

Outstanding! Appreciate that info.. will have to look into these alternate park's regulation's..

Good luck, and do post the videos you shoot at the park if you are allowed to..

Fly Safe!

Reactions: Ebruce
Looks like the park is by a VFR. The red flag is a hot spot for planes checking their tracking system when flying. That's why I'm guessing it's banned.

Reactions: frankiez
Looking closer at the sectionals. They say for pilots flying around the area that above 600' is safe. So don't fly high if you do attempt it.

Looks like the park is by a VFR. The red flag is a hot spot for planes checking their tracking system when flying. That's why I'm guessing it's banned.

If you mean that flag labeled "Broward County" that's just a visual reporting point to tell ATC where you are located, and doesn't seem to be too close to the park, so that shouldn't have an impact.

However, it looks like the park may be just inside the Class C airspace that extends all the way down to the surface for that area. So technically I believe drones are not allowed within controlled airspace like that, but if you call the airport tower and explain that you are approximately 7 miles to the west, that you know all the FAA rules that drones must comply with, etc, they may allow you to fly. If they still seem hesitant, you could always try the statement that you will stay below the tops of the highest trees in the area and so you should cause no danger to passing aircraft. But if you promise to do that then please actually do it so that you don't cause more of a bad name for drone pilots in general if something goes wrong.

Good luck!

If you mean that flag labeled "Broward County" that's just a visual reporting point to tell ATC where you are located, and doesn't seem to be too close to the park, so that shouldn't have an impact.

However, it looks like the park may be just inside the Class C airspace that extends all the way down to the surface for that area. So technically I believe drones are not allowed within controlled airspace like that, but if you call the airport tower and explain that you are approximately 7 miles to the west, that you know all the FAA rules that drones must comply with, etc, they may allow you to fly. If they still seem hesitant, you could always try the statement that you will stay below the tops of the highest trees in the area and so you should cause no danger to passing aircraft. But if you promise to do that then please actually do it so that you don't cause more of a bad name for drone pilots in general if something goes wrong.

Good luck!
Most likely, the restriction at the park has nothing to do with airspace safety. There are plenty of cities and counties around the country (including the county I live in) that have banned drones at their public parks, probably based on little information other than a feeling that drones might "get out of hand," "invade privacy," or "cause a nuisance."

BTW, it is not true that recreational use of drones is prohibited in Class C airspace. Comercial (Part 107) use is restricted from controlled airspace witnout a waiver or authorization, but recreational use is allowed if all the conditions listed in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft are met (including notification of airports within 5 miles). FAA could still bust you if they deem your flight unsafe, but there is no universal ban of recreational model aircraft flight in controĺled airspace.

These signs are allowed to keep drone operators from taking off of the property, but they really need to be placed more visibly. I wanted to do a great mountain view shot after a snow storm and wanted to fly over a ski resort, on an empty day. Then I discover a sign on the very top of the ski resort. That sign was no where to be seen at the entrance, how the hell am I supposed to know about that sign on the top?

You should use the FAA B4UFLY app. It will give you the first indication of whether you can fly in an area. The FAA posted graphics on their website so that entities could make the sign that you encountered.

Reactions: RobP62
It's crazy to the think that Canada, US and many other countries I've visited don't allow drones to be used in big national parks... it's one thing i can stand up and say the UK has got right. The freedom to fly in all our national parks, I mean what better way to market this beautiful country? If someone has taken the time to get out in the wild, with no person or building in sight... why shouldn't they be allowed to fly a drone? Forget cities and urban flying.. I bought this drone to get up, out and into the wild.. guess the US, messed up in that sense...

It's crazy to the think that Canada, US and many other countries I've visited don't allow drones to be used in big national parks... it's one thing i can stand up and say the UK has got right. The freedom to fly in all our national parks, I mean what better way to market this beautiful country? If someone has taken the time to get out in the wild, with no person or building in sight... why shouldn't they be allowed to fly a drone? Forget cities and urban flying.. I bought this drone to get up, out and into the wild.. guess the US, messed up in that sense...

National parks are NFZ as defined in sectional charts, this includes aircrafts.

Not entirely..... you can't fly in the New Forest National Park, which personally I think is ridiculous, they were pretty quick in canning that!!

Drone Flying (England)

there you go, about as much BS as I can take on a Sunday....

Reactions: sosmaverick
Not entirely..... you can't fly in the New Forest National Park, which personally I think is ridiculous, they were pretty quick in canning that!!

Drone Flying (England)

there you go, about as much BS as I can take on a Sunday....

That I did not know sir.. and that is complete BS. Every national park I've been to north of Birmingham (including Scotland) are quite happy with you flying responsibly. In fact the tourist boards love it.. bummer if you live near that national park though!

Reactions: Hauptmann
The New Forest has always been run as a nanny state!!

If everyone was banned from flying on the off chance that some random visitor maybe strutting around the countryside then there would be no flying in the UK, but then thats probably the final solution to these people...

I think there is a lot of merit in advertising the rules that casual flyers have to adhere to. Most of the general public would be surprised that you can legitimately fly within 50m of them.

Go to Westridge Park. It is right up the street on Nob HIll. I have launched from there. It is essentially a hilltop. Should not have any issues. Only problem is parking as there are no parking spaces. There is a smaller park further up Nob Hill. You can park there and walk down to Westridge.

Just an FYI. I have taken several trips up US 27 from I-75. Some really interesting stuff to film. Also, no signal interference, so you can get really good distance.

Reactions: BigAl KY
Go to Westridge Park. It is right up the street on Nob HIll. I have launched from there. It is essentially a hilltop. Should not have any issues. Only problem is parking as there are no parking spaces. There is a smaller park further up Nob Hill. You can park there and walk down to Westridge.

Just an FYI. I have taken several trips up US 27 from I-75. Some really interesting stuff to film. Also, no signal interference, so you can get really good distance.
Appreciate the info---know exactly where that's at-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111