DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Determining how long since a battery pack was charged

MavicFlyer

Reactions
I understand that my fully charged Mavic Air batteries automatically discharge to about 50% after 10 (?) days of non-use If the battery is going to discharge itself, I'd rather discharge it doing something productive, like maybe fly the simulator.

Is there any way to determine how long it's been since a battery was fully charged? Other than writing it down on paper for each battery.

I understand that my fully charged Mavic Air batteries automatically discharge to about 50% after 10 (?) days of non-use If the battery is going to discharge itself, I'd rather discharge it doing something productive, like maybe fly the simulator.

Is there any way to determine how long it's been since a battery was fully charged? Other than writing it down on paper for each battery.

I numbered each battery (#1 - #6) and write their last charge dates in the maintenance section of my flight log. My logbook has a lot of pieces of paper. ;)

AirData can tell you when it was last used.

Reactions: squashpile
I don't charge until I plan to fly the same day or the next day. Save memory space in my brain keeping track on when I charged my batteries.

Reactions: Rayray
the last time it was charged was the last time you flew,surely you can remember that just look at your flight log .as long as you store the battery at the correct level it does not matter when it was last charged ,but it is good practice to charge /discharge them at least once a month if you are unable to fly during that time and of course as others have said number them so you can tell them apart

the last time it was charged was the last time you flew,surely you can remember that just look at your flight log .as long as you store the battery at the correct level it does not matter when it was last charged ,but it is good practice to charge /discharge them at least once a month if you are unable to fly during that time and of course as others have said number them so you can tell them apart

There have been occasions when I've charged batteries but then not flown, then wondered a week or more later whether they are still fully charged or have gone into self-discharge mode but are still reading full. The best test is just to put them on the charger and see if it starts charging.

I numbered each battery (#1 - #6) and write their last charge dates in the maintenance section of my flight log. My logbook has a lot of pieces of paper. ;)
That makes a lot of sense, especially the part about numbering the batteries (I have 3)...I don't keep a dedicated flight log. I have a list of dates/times of flights in the DJI Go app....maybe I should.

Reactions: Thomas B
Can't argue with anything you're saying, but I'm just trying to figure out how to let the battery capacity go to a productive use - like simulator - before it gets auto drained".

Can't argue with anything you're saying, but I'm just trying to figure out how to let the battery capacity go to a productive use - like simulator - before it gets auto drained".

You can use the adapter to charge your smartphone, or just hover the aircraft - it will be down to 65% or so in about 8 minutes. The longest you want to go without a charge/discharge cycle is 3 months.

It's not great to just let them auto-drain because that means they are sitting at 100% for 10 days at a time. It's especially bad if you live somewhere hot.

Yes - refer to your battery log. A simple pencil and paper log solves the issue.

You can use the adapter to charge your smartphone, or just hover the aircraft - it will be down to 65% or so in about 8 minutes. The longest you want to go without a charge/discharge cycle is 3 months.

It's not great to just let them auto-drain because that means they are sitting at 100% for 10 days at a time. It's especially bad if you live somewhere hot.
I think the best way to go is to wait until the night before you're planning to fly, and NOT to charge them after the flight - maybe about a half charge, if it's been run down to single digits.

As to temperature, they're always in an air conditioned house, unless I'm out flying.

I think the best way to go is to wait until the night before you're planning to fly, and NOT to charge them after the flight - maybe about a half charge, if it's been run down to single digits.

As to temperature, they're always in an air conditioned house, unless I'm out flying.
Seems that DJI recommends storing batteries at about 50-60%. I top of before going flying.

If I am understanding your correctly, you definitely do not want to run them down and leave the batteries low rather than charging them back up to 40-60%.

If you want to only fly to 50%, then that would be fine I suppose, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to ~8 minute flights all the time.

Ideally, the batteries are sitting around 40-60% until immediately before use, at which point they are freshly charged to 100%. After the flight, once they have been given the proper amount of time to cool off, you would want to charge them back up to 40-60% ASAP unless you were going to use them again right away, in which case you would charge to 100% again.

I stored my Mavic Air batteries as per DJI's recommendations for about 8 months, cycling them as required per DJI's literature, and I did not even lose 1 minute of flight time when I used them again - worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67