DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detour mode

Gbower

Reactions
My Air 2 has been running in Detour Mode most of the time since the last couple of updates and wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I've searched all the information on line already with nothing that makes sense. I have all the latest updates done. My Mini 2 in the same area for flights does not show this so I'm thinking it could be something with the latest firmware on the Air 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This just started on Feb. 4th when I flew a couple of flights with the Air 2 and 1 with the Mini 2 and Mini 2 was fine in the same air.

My Air 2 has been running in Detour Mode most of the time since the last couple of updates and wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I've searched all the information on line already with nothing that makes sense. I have all the latest updates done. My Mini 2 in the same area for flights does not show this so I'm thinking it could be something with the latest firmware on the Air 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This just started on Feb. 4th when I flew a couple of flights with the Air 2 and 1 with the Mini 2 and Mini 2 was fine in the same air.
I just went out and did another short flight where I turned obstacle avoidance off and didn't get the detour mode message. So I'm thinking that there is an issue with the latest update as there are no obstacles around where I've been flying it and getting the message

I thought the detour message in the flight log indicated the Safety Assistance overrode the operator's input in order to avoid an obstacle. Safety Assistance and Bypass would have to be enabled for this to happen.

Reactions: boblui
I thought the detour message in the flight log indicated the Safety Assistance overrode the operator's input in order to avoid an obstacle. Safety Assistance and Bypass would have to be enabled for this to happen.
I thought that would be the case too and will try again tomorrow changing a few things. There were no obstacles to be in the way where I was flying. Some people are saying it's the sun affecting it but the other day it was cloudy and still gave me the message.

If you get a chance, try the RTH function when you are out a couple of hundred meters and set your RTH height to say 35 meters and see if it rises to the set altitude and on its return, stops and rises again a few times and if it continues to rise above the set altitude of 35 meters before it gets back. Try it in the same area you were getting the "Detour Mode".
If so then this is an issue that DJI should be looking at a little closer

If you get a chance, try the RTH function when you are out a couple of hundred meters and set your RTH height to say 35 meters and see if it rises to the set altitude and on its return, stops and rises again a few times and if it continues to rise above the set altitude of 35 meters before it gets back. Try it in the same area you were getting the "Detour Mode".
If so then this is an issue that DJI should be looking at a little closer
I just got back from another test and went out a ways and then RTH and the Air @ rose up to the set RTH height and came back fine. I did another one from a longer distance from above the RTH height and it looked good for a while and then stopped and climbed a bit and then started back again and then stopped and climbed until maximum height reached. It returns to the Home location but it shouldn't be climbing the way it does. I'm not sure what to try next. I checked my logged flights and this started after updating to Version 1.2.4 and continued after going to 1.2.5. Version 1.2.2 and older I never had this issue so I'm thinking I can wait until the next update and see what happens then. I may also give DJI a call. The Mini 2 with a different controller doesn't do this so I may pair the Air 2 to that controller and see what happens.

I just got back from another test and went out a ways and then RTH and the Air @ rose up to the set RTH height and came back fine. I did another one from a longer distance from above the RTH height and it looked good for a while and then stopped and climbed a bit and then started back again and then stopped and climbed until maximum height reached. It returns to the Home location but it shouldn't be climbing the way it does. I'm not sure what to try next. I checked my logged flights and this started after updating to Version 1.2.4 and continued after going to 1.2.5. Version 1.2.2 and older I never had this issue so I'm thinking I can wait until the next update and see what happens then. I may also give DJI a call. The Mini 2 with a different controller doesn't do this so I may pair the Air 2 to that controller and see what happens.
somehow related to obstacle avoidance and I know it only does it with RTH...same here. But was curious if this happened over snow covered fields.
Please keep us updated on this one because I feel it is important and never did know why from my own MA2 which has since been returned and got another one but weather has been the problem of allowing me to try this one out fully.

somehow related to obstacle avoidance and I know it only does it with RTH...same here. But was curious if this happened over snow covered fields.
Please keep us updated on this one because I feel it is important and never did know why from my own MA2 which has since been returned and got another one but weather has been the problem of allowing me to try this one out fully.
Every time it's happened it has been flying over snow covered areas and you might have hit on something. It will be a while before there's no snow on the ground here. I just got off a chat with DJI and they don't think there is anything out of the ordinary happening. The good thing is that the Air 2 does always come back. When I had the obstacle avoidance off it didn't go into detour mode today. I'm going to go outside my house now and do a short flight with the obstacle avoidance off for the whole flight and see what happens. I'll post back here shortly regarding that one.

I just got back in from another test with the obstacle avoidance off and the only thing that it changed was I don't see it going into detour mode so I'm not going to worry about that any more. When I'm below my RTH height it will rise to the proper height and return but when I'm above it the Air 2 will occasionally stop and climb about 25' or so and then continue on. I does this until the maximum height is reached. Not sure why but I guess I'll have to live with it and try playing with it when the snow is gone in a couple of months. I think that the snow with the glare is an issue although it doesn't affect it when the drone is lower than RTH height. DJI didn't seem to be too concerned. I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue when flying over snow covered areas.

There seems to be a number of others also having the same issue and there could even be more not really paying attention to what their MA2 is doing when RTH is initiated. One other thought is I noticed when it is not snowing, I noticed flashes of snow flakes in the MA2s path that are carried in the updrafts and maybe this could trigger an OA.
Maybe wrong but just a thought.

There seems to be a number of others also having the same issue and there could even be more not really paying attention to what their MA2 is doing when RTH is initiated. One other thought is I noticed when it is not snowing, I noticed flashes of snow flakes in the MA2s path that are carried in the updrafts and maybe this could trigger an OA.
Maybe wrong but just a thought.
The snow in the updrafts could probably cause some issues for sure and even when I did turn the obstacle avoidance off the downward sensors are still active, I think, and that could very well be the problem with it wanting to climb the 25' or so or seeing the snow reflecting could also cause it. Can't wait to try in a couple of months with no snow on the ground. Since I know how the Air 2 is reacting I can live with it. It's interesting that the Mini 2 doesn't do this and it has the downward sensors but maybe it doesn't have the same sensitivity.

Reactions: coboconk
Yes, It won't be long and the snow will be gone. Keep us posted on what happens when no snow is present.
Had a flight with both Mini 2 and Air 2 today with zero issues when using RTH. Had to try it again and was surprised from both below and above the RTH set height. Don't know what the difference was as it was a place that caused the climbing issue. Maybe it wasn't quite as bright out.

Reactions: coboconk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest