DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DEVELOPERS: how to extract info from videos

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
Hi developers / programmers / coders:

I would like to create a tool that grabs metadata from a video file. Currently, my personal thoughts are to write a spreadsheet, but the tool could have other outputs (text file, possibly delimited for importing into a database).

My goal is to be able to better track the huge hoard of drone video I've taken over the years. It would be more easily managed if I could extract the following:
  • Telemetry (mainly coordinates, altitude)
  • Video specs (dimensions, length, FPS, shutter speed and aperture, video recording mode / bit-depth)
I'm on a Windows machine using Visual Studio and can code in C# or Basic.

In the past, I went looking for libraries or video standards specifications to be able to open a video file and find this info, but I've always been disappointed in what I've found.

So please let me know if you've found code or libraries (hopefully free) that would make this fairly straightforward. I'm not so strong a dev that I could create all of this from low-level scratch.

Thanks, Chris

PS: if there's already such a tool (something like EXIFTOOL for still photography), I could use that. I'm pretty handy with batch files. Or I could create the above REPORTING tool from the text output from some other metadata extraction tool.

There is no meta data in videofiles like there is in EXIF.

Thats why you can enable srt-file in the app, but if you havn't you're out of luck I would say.

You might get som meta data from ffmpeg, but thats only resolution, bitdepth, bit rate.

In srt-files you get:

00:00:00,016 --> 00:00:00,033
<font size="36">SrtCnt : 2, DiffTime : 17ms
2020-09-06 14:52:51,630,104
[iso : 100] [shutter : 1/640.0] [fnum : 280] [ev : 0] [ct : 5456] [color_md : default] [focal_len : 240] [latitude: 58.855515] [longitude: 11.159656] [altitude: 17.400000] </font>

Thanks surfbird, I know about the SRT files, but didn't save them for years old legacy video files.

Mike, thanks, but I no longer have the older log files.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato