DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DFW, Texas here

Yes there are a lot of civilian retail UAS now that can fly REALLY far away.
But there is also VLOS requirements. And a lot of people who push back on anyone flying BVLOS. Rightly so. You see it on this forum.
My Mavic 3 can easily fly well over 6 miles away from home point. Yes it is built to do that. But it is not legal to do that under FAA for both recreational and 107 pilots.
I do fly very long distance flights. But they are in loops back and forth or out and back or in full circles multiple times from home point. Am still waiting for a challenger for my record long distance MA2 flight. No one else has done it I can find. You can and are welcome to fly far. Just not far away beyond VLOS. Not yet.
FAA is watching Youtube and they have already busted people. Mainly the flagrant violators who ignored their first FAA warnings.

Safe flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: pati0furniture
Yes there are a lot of civilian retail UAS now that can fly REALLY far away.
But there is also VLOS requirements. And a lot of people who push back on anyone flying BVLOS. Rightly so. You see it on this forum.
My Mavic 3 can easily fly well over 6 miles away from home point. Yes it is built to do that. But it is not legal to do that under FAA for both recreational and 107 pilots.
I do fly very long distance flights. But they are in loops back and forth or out and back or in full circles multiple times from home point. Am still waiting for a challenger for my record long distance MA2 flight. No one else has done it I can find. You can and are welcome to fly far. Just not far away beyond VLOS. Not yet.
FAA is watching Youtube and they have already busted people. Mainly the flagrant violators who ignored their first FAA warnings.

Safe flying,
KI5RLL
Oh yeah definitely. I've read up pretty well on the laws/regs and plan on getting my part 107. My boss is a pilot (PPL) and said he'd help because he wants to get his 107 done as well.

Originally, I was wanting to build a quad but goggles/FPV, racing, freestyle, etc. didn't really appeal to me. I'd much rather have longer flight times for cruising, exploring and the like. How far out did you go with that MA2?

Last edited:
Oh yeah definitely. I've read up pretty well on the laws/regs and plan on getting my part 107. My boss is a pilot and said he'd help because he wants to get his 107 as well.

Originally, I was wanting to build a quad but goggles/FPV, racing, freestyle, etc. didn't really appeal to me. I'd much rather have longer flight times for cruising, exploring and the like. How far out did you go with that MA2?
I hear the MA2 as claimed by DJI can go several miles out on its radio range. But I don’t know how far in normal conditions is to be expected. They use controlled optimal conditions. I could start losing sight of it in normal day conditions at about 300ft AGL and about 2000ft out. So I turn around plenty before then. Everyone is different.
Miles away? To think of it “that far” away makes me worried even to think of it and wonder WTH would happen if X or Y or X happened that far off. Certainly loss of craft. And worse. Aside the violation.
Yes Mavic crafts have very long advertised (and really possible) range. But we do not have to use that. Like a car speedometer. The extra tx and rx power (I tell myself) allows the occasional interference and occlusions so you can still keep your signal. Really no “open” areas in the US to just fly as far off as you want legally. Without a LOS waiver. And I don’t see myself every applying for one.

Safe flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: pati0furniture
Welcome to the forum! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb