DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Difference between RC-N2/RC-N3

OldGuy

Reactions
I am trying to find out the difference between the above controllers. The RC-N2 specs are readily available but I can find very little info on the RC-N3. The RC-N2 has O4 but does the RC-N3? As there is a big difference in price between the two controllers I imagine that the RC-N3 is inferior to the RC-N2?

Regarding the signal, from what I understand the difference between O2 (RC-N2), O3 (RC-N3), and O4 (RC-N4) is you can get further with the drone without losing signal, but this is of no value when it comes to objects blocking your signal. There's a guy on YouTube testing with all of the three technologies and the results are the same: loss of signal in a congested area.

Regarding the signal, from what I understand the difference between O2 (RC-N2), O3 (RC-N3), and O4 (RC-N4) is you can get further with the drone without losing signal, but this is of no value when it comes to objects blocking your signal. There's a guy on YouTube testing with all of the three technologies and the results are the same: loss of signal in a congested area.

There is no RC-N4.

The RC-N1 uses O2. RC-N2 uses O3 and O4, RC-N3 O4 only.

As for obstacles between the RC and aircraft, they attenuated the signal to varying degrees. Modulation, encoding, and error correction techniques can improve successful acquisition of a digital signal from a radio carrier without changing anything else about the transmission system.

As such, simply updating firmware to a more robust communication protocol can result in better penetration through obstacles, resulting in, for example, staying connected while passing behind a building with O4 that caused a disconnect with O3 on exactly the same equipment.

As an aside, there is an inverse relationship between time and power transmitting information over RF (or any wave-based medium). As power gets weaker, a signal can still be extracted given more time. In the extreme, a signal well below the noise threshold can be recovered through a mathematical process called convolution.

You can extract it, but you can't hear it 😁

They both have O4. From what I have read the N3 has a smaller battery otherwise they are basically the same.

Chris
If they are basically the same apart from a smaller battery then why the difference in price. Here in Europe the RC-N2 is €159 ($177) and the RC-N3 is €119 ($133)? A difference of €40 or $44!?

I'll use it for certain flights and my other 2 drones for other flights. Depending on the situation and area. It is something to keep in mind though for sure.

There is no RC-N4.

The RC-N1 uses O2. RC-N2 uses O3 and O4, RC-N3 O4 only.

As for obstacles between the RC and aircraft, they attenuated the signal to varying degrees. Modulation, encoding, and error correction techniques can improve successful acquisition of a digital signal from a radio carrier without changing anything else about the transmission system.

As such, simply updating firmware to a more robust communication protocol can result in better penetration through obstacles, resulting in, for example, staying connected while passing behind a building with O4 that caused a disconnect with O3 on exactly the same equipment.

As an aside, there is an inverse relationship between time and power transmitting information over RF (or any wave-based medium). As power gets weaker, a signal can still be extracted given more time. In the extreme, a signal well below the noise threshold can be recovered through a mathematical process called convolution.

You can extract it, but you can't hear it 😁
You must have worked with RF before. Good explanation. I used to design sonar systems; pretty much similar principles. The only difference is the medium.

The N3 is basically a downgrade.

Fair, but I'd point out only in how long you can use it before recharging. Otherwise, it's functionally identical.

Watch the forum... won't be long until some pops it open and mods those missing batteries back in. Probably 18650s.

Fair, but I'd point out only in how long you can use it before recharging. Otherwise, it's functionally identical.

Watch the forum... won't be long until some pops it open and mods those missing batteries back in. Probably 18650s.
So why is it so much cheaper just because of a smaller battery?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr