DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Difficult Update Mini-2 22-03-26

Chaosrider

Reactions
I had a bit of a grueling experience with the firmware update today for my Mini-2. DJI Fly told me it would be a long update, about 8 minutes, and it was. Which would have been OK, if it had given me some kind or progress indication on the update, which it didn't.

I also had to re-start the aircraft and the controller and the phone several times before it would "catch". The normally automatic update process, didn't work, and I had to go into Profile--Settings to manually tell it to go get the update which, to be fair, Fly told me I needed to do.

Has anyone else had this problem this time around? This is the roughest update I've seen since I got these birds...and I have two more Mini-2s to update!

Thx,

TCS

I rarely update but when I do I use the appropriate Assistant 2 and a USB cable connection and the computer connected to the www cable rather than wifi. It seems far less prone to problems than multiple radio connections and quicker too.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
I rarely update but when I do I use the appropriate Assistant 2 and a USB cable connection and the computer connected to the www cable rather than wifi. It seems far less prone to problems than multiple radio connections and quicker too.
I can see where that would be a more stable connection, but this is the first time I've had any trouble with the normal WiFi update technique.

Just out of curiosity, why do you rarely update?

Thx,

TCS

Too many "I updated and now have a problem" threads, stems for Phantom era updates lol

I'm holding off on the update. The new update doesnt allow Dronehacks certificate to be used. While I'm not currently using DH, I may in the future.
DJI and there no fly zone nanny type lock is a bit much.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
I can see where that would be a more stable connection, but this is the first time I've had any trouble with the normal WiFi update technique.

Just out of curiosity, why do you rarely update?

Thx,

TCS
DJI is well known for breaking things in new firmwares.

Reactions: Yaros
I'm holding off on the update. The new update doesnt allow Dronehacks certificate to be used. While I'm not currently using DH, I may in the future.
DJI and there no fly zone nanny type lock is a bit much.
Does Dronehacks disable the DJI nannyisms?

That would be surprising if true, but interesting.

No American company will ever be able to compete with DJI on price or quality. But, at some cost, they might be able to compete with an absence of nannyism.

I'd at least take a look at such a drone.

TCS

No American company will ever be able to compete with DJI on price or quality. But, at some cost, they might be able to compete with an absence of nannyism.

TCS
From my brief reading of DH in the other sub forum, it doesnt disable it. DH provides a substitute certificate of approval that you would apply for thru dji. Plus the DH cert expiration date is much longer, like years.

When I get some decent weather I'm going to the other side of the farm I fly at. Theres a dji lock zone around a small rural airport, I'll see if I can fly there. If it doesnt, then I'll look at DH more.
The other option is an Autel evo nano drone. No nanny in them. Cost 1/3 more though.
But, if i knew then what i know now, I'd just bought the Autel.
I dont need a company from the other side of the globe to tell me where i can fly.
That's what the FAA is for.

Reactions: Faster
From my brief reading of DH in the other sub forum, it doesnt disable it. DH provides a substitute certificate of approval that you would apply for thru dji. Plus the DH cert expiration date is much longer, like years.

When I get some decent weather I'm going to the other side of the farm I fly at. Theres a dji lock zone around a small rural airport, I'll see if I can fly there. If it doesnt, then I'll look at DH more.
The other option is an Autel evo nano drone. No nanny in them. Cost 1/3 more though.
But, if i knew then what i know now, I'd just bought the Autel.
I dont need a company from the other side of the globe to tell me where i can fly.
That's what the FAA is for.
Well, I agree with you in spirit, but my understanding is that to get a DJI "unlock" is pretty quick and painless. I only tried it once, and I was caught by surprise, but I went through the process it seemed to work. If I can do that a day ahead of time, that will be fine.

When we get some warmer weather, I'll do the test...

:cool:

TCS

American company (we have priced that out of the market) will ever be able to compete with DJI on price or quality. But, at some cost, they might be able to compete with an absence of nannyism.

TCS

Autel

They're not made in the U.S. because the US as a country has priced themselves out of that market. However; NO Nanny, No Geolocking or arbitrarily locking an area even when the FAA says its safe. I know the dji fanboys might not agree but they make a great drone and they are the only other drone company that can force (thru competition) dji to make a better product.

Autel

They're not made in the U.S. because the US as a country has priced themselves out of that market. However; NO Nanny, No Geolocking or arbitrarily locking an area even when the FAA says its safe. I know the dji fanboys might not agree but they make a great drone and they are the only other drone company that can force (thru competition) dji to make a better product.
Worth a look.

Do they have a Mini-2-class drone that has fixed rather than folding legs? I find the whole folding legs thing to be nothing buy an annoyance.

Thx,

TCS

Worth a look.

Do they have a Mini-2-class drone that has fixed rather than folding legs? I find the whole folding legs thing to be nothing buy an annoyance.

Thx,

TCS
I don't believe anyone makes a quality (not a toy) 249g class drone with 4K capabilities that doesn't fold. I think most people who want a small lightweight drone also want it small to pack.
If you prefer it as a non folder why do you fold it up?(it's not mandatory😄).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom