DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Digital zoom

Toni-14

Reactions
Hi everyone, i just purchased the M2Z and waiting for delivery. I wonder if there is a digital zoom ? Or only the optical?

Reactions: DanMan32
IN 1920 X1080 at 25 fps it starts with the optical zoom and continues right on with the digital zoom

well I had it set on 1080 50 fps and the zooming stopped at 48 . When I switched to 25 fps the zoom continued to 96 seamlessly

Why should the frame rate matter at all if it is 1080p? Can the pro do this too?

It has to be set at 1080p with a lower frame rate. If I remember correctly, 30 fps will also allow digital zoom but it does not work at 50 or 60 fps.

Reactions: kenny d
Yes 30 fps (USA) or 25 fps (UK) will both work with the Zoom. Whether the old reasoning about electrical cycles still plays a part in the digital age I am not sure.

They should just call digital zoom "cropping" to make it easier to understand!

Reactions: Kilrah
I just tested it today, it does have to be 30fps or less. My mistake. I guess I thought 48mm was digital. 2x zoom is quite good.

I just tested it today, it does have to be 30fps or less. My mistake. I guess I thought 48mm was digital. 2x zoom is quite good.

I wonder why. Hopefully DJI will relax that restriction later. I don't see any reason why digital zoom cannot be applied at higher than 30fps 1080p if it works at 30fps 1080p. It seems that the software for the Mavic 2 series isn't full baked. There are still a bunch of features missing (e.g precision landing) and some limitations that seems not necessary (e.g. digital zoom >30fps on M2Z or any digital zoom at all on M2P).

I don't see a reason to limit zoom to 1080p 30fps or less. 1080p I get, since it has to effectively crop the original 4K picture from the camera, but frame rate shouldn't matter. There may be a reason we hadn't thought of though.

well I had it set on 1080 50 fps and the zooming stopped at 48 . When I switched to 25 fps the zoom continued to 96 seamlessly

I use the 1080 all the time because I get jerky videos otherwise. I don’t think that the monitors and TVs that are available do justice to the true 4K. Is the zoom the superior model? I don’t quite understand the breakdown yet. I’m trying not to spend a fortune. I’ve had a refurbished Mavic Pro for 2 yrs and never had a minute of trouble. Even when it hit a tree branch 65 ft up and came bouncing thru the branches. Tough machine. I know I won’t find a refurbished #2 for awhile.

Any idea what settings you need to take x4 stills or is that so easy to do in post they didn't bother?:)

HELP.. just got the mavic 2 zoom,
all updated ok, but i cant get the zoom to pass 48...it starts at 24, then goes up to 48..but theres no more..
i have set it onto 1080p and tried all the fps settings..but it wont budge.
I am using android phone..everything else works...just the digital zoom not working..any advice please..?

Digital zoom only works with 1080p 30fps or lower. You mentioned trying all frame rates but double-check your settings.
Not sure about still shots.

thanks danman32
I have tried everything i can think of..ie 1080p even 24fps.
i have just re installed the go 4 app....but still not working on digital zoom.
my next procedure is to update the mavic 2 and the controller using the dji assistant 2 for mavic, on my laptop...see if that does it....

yes yes yes! that did it.
I updated the drone and the controller through the laptop and hey..i now have stonking good zoom 24 to 96.
hope this may help someone else.

im not sure what the version before was (as supplied)..but this new version that works is v01.00.0100
i was worried that i may need to buy an apple product, but its all good with android so far.
tomorrow its calibrations..then first flight etc....
im so confident now that ive ordered the flymore...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54