DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disabling sideways flight Mini 4 Pro

Last edited:
@mavicairjim why would it need it ,it now has side facing sensors, unlike the air 2 ,or its predisessor the Mini 3 pro
While that was the reason for the feature, I can see it being useful regardless of whether or not there is lateral OA.

The feature was already implemented... they should have just left it in.

While that was the reason for the feature, I can see it being useful regardless of whether or not there is lateral OA.

The feature was already implemented... they should have just left it in.
while that may be true ,the feature was drone specific ,not part of the App

I may be talking out of my neck here (and stand ready to be corrected !) but (on my Mini3Pro) spotted the sidewards-disabling option on a YT tips-clip I have saved - under obstacle-avoidance ? Attached is screenshot / author / time for reference. Hope that helps ? But then again (as OMM said), could well be model-specific....

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: old man mavic
I may be talking out of my neck here (and stand ready to be corrected !) but (on my Mini3Pro) spotted the sidewards-disabling option on a YT tips-clip I have saved - under obstacle-avoidance ? Attached is screenshot / author / time for reference. Hope that helps ? But then again (as OMM said), could well be model-specific....
Yes - it's implemented on the Mini3P but doesn't appear to be available now on the 4 since it has 360 degree sensors.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes - it's implemented on the Mini3P but doesn't appear to be available now on the 4 since it has 360 degree sensors.

And in my product development / software engineering experience, they had to spend engineering resources to disable this feature in the Mini4P code branch. It would have been cheaper to leave it alone.

And in my product development / software engineering experience, they had to spend engineering resources to disable this feature in the Mini4P code branch. It would have been cheaper to leave it alone.
It's likely they are following the increased automation and dumbing down of control options in technical goods but, while good enough for the casual user, frustrates advanced amateurs and professionals who actually know what they're doing.

@WanderLost the model specific control options are ,as i said before ,based on what OA is available on a specific drone model
the Air 3 for instance does not have disable sideways movement ,in bypass ,just like the Mini 4 pro ,it was only present in the Mini 3 pro Apps settings, to compensate for the lack of sideways OA sensors ,when manually flying along narrow areas ,and openings with the OA enabled ,to prevent the operator from trying to move the drone from side to side ,which could have resulted in the drone making contact with obstacles either side of it, as far as frustrating advanced users, then the issue of flying through narrow areas ,would not be a problem ,and for that reason they would not need to make use of the disable sideways option ,DJI whether rightly or wrongly ,with all their advances in battery management ,and drone control capabilities , have tried to make these things as simple as possible, mainly for those people ,just begining in the hobby ,those of us who have been able to master flying ,useing multiple stick inputs simultainiously to control the drone ,have the option of whether or not, we use the auto features that the drone has ,but at the end of the day, it is nice to have manual /auto flight options for different scenarios,its called giving people a choice