DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discharge batteries to storage condition

Looks good, but does the 65% mode discharge a fully charged battery to get there? Or does it only charge up a discharged battery to 65%?

Mike S: Here's another one to add to your list:

RCGeeks Charger

I picked one up and charge to storage level works as advertised. A much better solution than watching each battery charge and stopping at "around" 65 percent.

The IRC battery discharger is great! Only $21.00 on Amazon! The Angel is $110. I bought the Angel for MP . If anybody wants it for $50, it’s urs. DM me

Reactions: raylo32
I have the IRC one coming. Plus I bought the cheap dual car charger and will make a couple of cables for my Prodigy. That should cover me.

The IRC battery discharger is great! Only $21.00 on Amazon! The Angel is $110. I bought the Angel for MP . If anybody wants it for $50, it’s urs. DM me

Here is the charger: Amazon.com: ISDT Q6 Pro Charger BattGo 300W 14A Smart Pocket Lipo Battery Balance Charger for/Life/Lilon/LiPo/LiHv/NiMH/Cd/Pb RC Models DIY Q6 Plus Upgraded Version: Gateway

Here is the Parallel Board:

..but does the 65% mode discharge a fully charged battery to get there? Or does it only charge up a discharged battery to 65%?

Ray: The RCGeeks charger has a switch for 100 and 65 so no, it won't DIScharge down to storage level, it will only charge up to it.

That's what I suspected from the photo. Looks like a good charger that will work great as long as you always fly all your batteries down. My RC Prodigy charger will be a good option for me to at least perform the discharge function... and will likely provide a faster charge as well. I wonder what the C rating is on the Mavic 2 batteries? That would be helpful in deciding how fast to charge.

Ray: The RCGeeks charger has a switch for 100 and 65 so no, it won't DIScharge down to storage level, it will only charge up to it.

Well, good news and bad news. I made up a connector with bullet plugs to jack into my Protek 610 charger. It works fine for charging the M2 batteries in bulk mode, i.e. no balance connector, and the battery's BMS worries about balance. But in Storage or Discharge mode I get "cell connect error" which means the charger is looking for a balance connector and not finding it. So it looks like it does not have a straight bulk discharge mode. What a PITA.

Meanwhile my el-cheapo Amazon discharger came and it works, but at 1.5A it is very slow... and gets very hot. Converting chemical energy to heat is how these things work but this unit is small and I wonder how long it will last before it cooks. Oh well, there are more expensive dischargers available but it's too bad my existing charger won't work.

I might pick up one of these: https://www.amainhobbies.com/gforce...JSyvanC_ZjkNEyYug2Ouh4uJ16Y5twFhoCoYsQAvD_BwE

Yep. You can get an OEM DJI charger used for less than $20. just snip off the end, and youre good to go.

Alot of the drone modders, including me, use XT60's to connect external saddle packs. I personally prefer to sue Deans connectors, but XT60 are ok too.

Would this work? $4.73 with free shipping:

TLDR; I'm Cheap, use short-charging method.

Given the price of these batteries and in general being frugal or wanting to extract maximum value for money, my preference is to never be in a position of having to discharge the batteries in the first place. So my setup is simple,

1) Keep the batteries at storage most of the time, unless I intend to fly.
2) Use a parallel charger to charge all 3 up
3) Connect parallel charger to remote timer (can be triggered remotely or programmed to turn on) -
4) Charge batteries fully as close to the time I intend on using them
5) Fly them down to ~20-30%
6) Let each battery cool to room temperature.
7) Connect all 3 to parallel charger and charge back up to storage charge
8) Program the timer for a 15min charge and then switch off

Rinse Repeat

The time it takes depends on charger but on the RCGeeks 5A, I can get back to storage levels with ~15min charge, that way it only takes ~40mins to charge back to full when I intend on using them. This way I dont waste cycles on trivial items such as charging my phone/tablet, wasting money on dischargers from Amazon etc.

If they were cheap $40 hobby grade LiPos I probably wouldnt care so much but Mavic 2 batteries here retail $239AUD each. Works out to ~$1/flight assuming it even lasts 240cycles - thats not cheap. My oldest and most used LiPo had done 110 cycles so probably closer to $2/flight for me.

Reactions: ff22 and Ynksfan27

Given the price of these batteries and in general being frugal or wanting to extract maximum value for money, my preference is to never be in a position of having to discharge the batteries in the first place. So my setup is simple,

3) Connect parallel charger to remote timer (can be triggered remotely or programmed to turn on) -

Rinse Repeat

The time it takes depends on charger but on the RCGeeks 5A, I can get back to storage levels with ~15min charge, that way it only takes ~40mins to charge back to full when I intend on using them. This way I dont waste cycles on trivial items such as charging my phone/tablet, wasting money on dischargers from Amazon etc.

If they were cheap $40 hobby grade LiPos I probably wouldnt care so much but Mavic 2 batteries here retail $239AUD each. Works out to ~$1/flight assuming it even lasts 240cycles - thats not cheap. My oldest and most used LiPo had done 110 cycles so probably closer to $2/flight for me.
Good news..... if your flying down to 25% average that runs to 75 cents a flight. A charge cycle is 100% if the recorded pack capacity.

Would this work? $4.73 with free shipping:

Thats Mavic Pro, you want the Mavic 2 cable instead if thats the drone you fly. I ordered some back in December and the idiot sends me cables for the Mavic Air instead - Got a refund (I already had Mavic Air cables). Ended up finding a seller slightly more expensive who knew the difference and sent me the proper cables.

Good news..... if your flying down to 25% average that runs to 75 cents a flight. A charge cycle is 100% if the recorded pack capacity.

Good to know.

Reactions: WithTheBirds

I don’t get the math, are you saying at $130 per battery, the battery life is only good for about 100 flights?

Since the battery has a safe and effective onboard slow discharge it's a shame that can't somehow be activated manually since DJI took away the option to trigger it sooner.

I don’t get the math, are you saying at $130 per battery, the battery life is only good for about 100 flights?
No. I was simply saying that a charge cycle is determined with reference to the capacity. If you fly from 100% down to 25% and recharge that counts as 75% of a cycle as reported by the battery. With reasonable treatment you should get significantly more than 100 cycles from a battery.

That's pretty much how I operate. I even do that with the larger hobby grade LiPos for my Iris+. But there are times when you unexpectedly get cut short and just can't fly every battery that is charged up hence the need for a discharger. It's easy with my standard XT60 batteries since the Prodigy puts them in storage at the touch of a button by automatically charging OR discharging as necessary. Too bad we have to do this manually with these Mavic batteries.

I have sent an inquiry to Prodigy as to whether any of their models have a bulk discharge feature so a smart battery that doesn't have a balance connector can be discharged. Does anyone here have another brand that will do this? My model 610 has the ability to create a user defined profile and I will see if I can make it work that way.

No. I was simply saying that a charge cycle is determined with reference to the capacity. If you fly from 100% down to 25% and recharge that counts as 75% of a cycle as reported by the battery. With reasonable treatment you should get significantly more than 100 cycles from a battery.

Your spell check messed up, that post or yours above said it was “75 cents per flight”! :p

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev