DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnect SOLVED!!!!!

Wayne4chun

Reactions
I'm having a bunch of disconnects for the first time in a year! All of a sudden. Probably Operator Error, but I am clueless. Where do I start? Is it the regular controller going bad? Is it a cable going bad? The controller Disconnects from the drone which causes complete loss of control,(OR SO I THOUGHT)
the phone screen goes black and white, and the drone hovers and then reconnects. For no apparent reason or distance. I've been close because I'm afraid to fly over 100 feet away!!!

Last edited:
What is disconnecting from what? i.e. contoller from the drone or 'phone' from controller etc.

Edit: never mind, it can't be the cable if the drone disconnects (after the screen goes black, you cannot operate the drone). It sounds like Ocysync problems.

Do you use the side USB port, or the bottom USB port to connect your device? Because there have been plenty of reports of problems using the side port. Usually though, it means a failure with the port, which means disconnect from the device, but still can fly the drone.

I hope someone else has an idea, because it sound like it needs a trip to service.

Chris

Solved: It was the cable from the controller to the phone. When it disconnected, I didn't realize the controller still worked. I'm so use to using the phone. It's the cable guys!!!! No matter how good it looks, it's probably the reason for the disconnect. Thanks for your help.

Solved: It was the cable from the controller to the phone. When it disconnected, I didn't realize the controller still worked. I'm so use to using the phone. It's the cable guys!!!! No matter how good it looks, it's probably the reason for the disconnect. Thanks for your help.
I have had that issue also (mentioned in other threads)...I found that if you rotate the lighting end 180 * it seems to come good..
Having said that I have new leads now.

Just to be sure, now that it's working: are you still using the side-port on the controller? Because it's been known to go back with continual use (search these forums for more). I use only the bottom USB port for flying and save the side port for charging only.

I am having a problem with disconnects. Often it just says "disconnected" (black and white screen). It often is followed by controller disconnect. Then I shut off the controller and restart it. Usually by the time I restart the controller, the controller connects and its returning to home. When the disconnects happen I still have a solid (all bars) connection. It's even done it 100 ft directly above me. Its bizzare though. I get most issues flying in a large valley on private property. No problem with line of sight. Other places I fly I have no problems. One thing about the valley is that there is no cell phone/data service. Sometimes I can't even connect. The go fly button doesn't show.

The other thing is, I have hade multiple messages within a coue of days stating I need to update my firmware. So I keep doing as it wants.

It's extremely frustrating as you can imagine.

Any ideas? Can a log show "why" the disconnects are happening?

Screenshot_20200725-211618_Video Player.jpg

It's the cable from the controller to the phone.
A cable that only has problems in certain areas and is reproducable. Other places can fly through 3 batteries with no trouble. Your statement without data doesn't appear logical. If you don't mind me asking, what do you base your statment on?

Last edited:
When the phone is not connected to the controller my Go4 app says "Disconnected". When the phone is connected to the controller but the controller is not connected to the drone the Go4 app says "Aircraft Disconnected"
Likewise and respectively the fly app says "RC not connected to m...." & "Aircraft not connected t'.."

Could that be Wayne4chun's reasoning?

Last edited by a moderator:
When the phone is not connected to the controller my Go4 app says "Disconnected". When the phone is connected to the controller but the controller is not connected to the drone the Go4 app says "Aircraft Disconnected"
Likewise and respectively the fly app says "RC not connected to m...." & "Aircraft not connected t'.."

Could that be Wayne4chun's reasoning?
I understand the premise of the errors and realize the implications, and if the issue was uniform, providing similar results in all flight locations I might concur. However, I have been to the valley 4 times over 2 days and not yet been able to fly due to constant disconnects.
Between flights, as I travel back and forth between the valley and the office my M2P flew without incident at the office. We are moving out of the office and hauling everything to the valley for storage

It just seems strange to conclude its a cable when the cable and phone remained connected between locations, worked at one place and not at another.

Ok, here's a few of examples. The bird was hovering and I switched from video to still camera and the controller disconnected from the phone. Possibly a coincidence but this has happened to me before. OK, more coincidences.

Up in the mountains I had disconnects and reconnects. One after another on the same flight. Temporary loss of connection and then the link would come back until it didnt! Other times in the same location I'd have no issue all day.

Another time at the "Mysterious Valley", I lost the app and then the controller, freeing my M2P to do whatever a freebird does. At this point I entered "Spirit mode" and began to pray. Actually, I did just as I always do; restart the controller and everything usually comes alive again (usually). This occasion was scary though. Normally, when disconnected from the controller, the drone should stop, hover and then enter RTH. Not so this time. It slowly rotated (like beginning RTH) and started to fly away, in the wrong direction! I had no control and my investment was turning to a speck in the distance. I shut off the controller and the drone kept going! Eventually it stopped, hovered, then turned towards me and came home. Before landing I was able to reconnect but it took a while. What "appears" to have happened is that during the disconnect and me moving the sticks around, there was a momentary link that triggered the fly away. Just a guess... I'm glad it had a change of heart and came back.

I thought perhaps I was flying near a tribal burial ground in the valley and the the spirits of fallen Indian warriors were screwing with me. I of course jest, but it makes as much sense as a controller disconnecting from the drone because the cable between the controller and phone has a problem and the issue being generally localized and reproducable.

Here's something interesting, I notice that sometimes my phone, an Android S10+, shows the battery level big and bold on screen at the time of a disconnect of the app.

A thought... is there something built into the programming on the M2P that would stop a flight or prevent a flight in the absence of WiFi (data) feed. You know, "Big Brother" stuff. When at the Valley and in the mountains there is little or no cell service. Only thing makes me doubt this is that it should "prevent" take off and warn you, not disconnect in mid flight.

You said " it just says "disconnected" (blac......."
Disconnected" is the error message displayed by the Go4 app when the phone is disconnected from the controller. As shown in the attached, though I think you get a black and version of what was on the screen prior to the disconnection.
There are several possible mechanical reasons for a intermittent disconnections that come to mind, all of which come down to intermittent connections somewhere,
1) the actual connecting cable is broken and, depending on your movements, making and breaking contact at the break
2) the connection in either the socket in the controller and or the socket in the phone could be breaking, worn out or damaged, and again, depending on your movements, making and breaking contact.

With regards to any other queries, you need to post the relevant flight logs for one of the CSI guys to investigate. Speculation is unlikely to produce the solution.
If you have an RC1A controller you are likely to have both .txt and DAT files logs on your phone in
DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord (for the .txt files)
and
DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord\MCDatFlightRecords (for the .DAT files ) , post both.

If you have an RC1B controller you are unlikely to have the DAT logs.

Attachments

• Phone disconnected from controller.png
    Phone disconnected from controller.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnected" is the error message displayed by the Go4 app when the phone is disconnected from the controller. As shown in the attached, though I think you get a black and version of what was on the screen prior to the disconnection.
There are several possible mechanical reasons for a intermittent disconnections that come to mind, all of which come down to intermittent connections somewhere,
1) the actual connecting cable is broken and, depending on your movements, making and breaking contact at the break
2) the connection in either the socket in the controller and or the socket in the phone could be breaking, worn out or damaged, and again, depending on your movements, making and breaking contact.

With regards to any other queries, you need to post the relevant flight logs for one of the CSI guys to investigate. Speculation is unlikely to produce the solution.
If you have an RC1A controller you are likely to have both .txt and DAT files logs on your phone in
and
DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord\MCDatFlightRecords (for the .DAT files ) , post both.

and

Here is a log from a flight in the valley when I lost connection and my M2P Initiated a RTH.
I had LOS with the drone and suffered sudden signal loss..

This is the flight where I experienced the "fly away". Nothing I did on the controls was changing course. I show a signal strength between the controller and M2P that went from 100% to 0%. There is a period in the log from 02m 08.9s to 02m 55.4s that there is no data. During that time I struggled to gain control but failed. This 47 seconds was the time I watched helplessly as my UAS appeared to be piloted by Gremlins.

I apologize to those I doubted when told it was an issue with the cord. I don't understand the reasoning behind the significance of location and the occurrence of the disconnects but when I switched from the micro USB port to using USB, the problem went away.

Thank you for your support and advice. Again, my apologies for coming across resistant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan