DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnection

warlock 31

Reactions
Went flying this weekend with my mavic Pro and a friend with a phantom 3. Both took off at the same time lost signal at the same time. Mine went to return home. The Phantom flu into a big tree. We used the flight log map to find his Phantom. As soon as his hit the tree mine regained signal and was just fine. It would have returned home anyway. I thought you could fly these things together and there was no issue or maybe just coincidence. The Phantom lost a prop broke the landing gear kicked out the battery and the SD card.

Dang. I've flown with a buddy who had a Phantom 3 while my Mavic was in the air and we didn't have issues. Granted it was for less than 5 minutes so it wasn't too long.

Odd. Something to note. Every time I fire up my mavic for some settings adjustment or gumball Speed adjustments it knocks out all wi fi in the far end of my house. My wife always knows when I'm tinkering and getting the bird set up to fly the following day because I kill her connection. Wonder if there is a control overlap?

That should not have been the issue, they have a very robust comm system. My friends and I have flown 5 mavics side by side and a phantom too with absolutely no issue. At an RC flying event with 100 planes in the air I've had video dropouts on my phantom 3s but never lost control. The link is made to work in busy radio freq (RF) environments. The fact that both of you had a drop like that simultaneously, you both where hit with a strong radio freq interference from something close by. What where the surroundings? (Neighborhood, nothing for miles, cell tower?). Some suggest a strong solar flare (Kp) can do this (the closer to the equator the stronger the effect), but that usually only effects GPS reception momentarily.

Odd. Something to note. Every time I fire up my mavic for some settings adjustment or gumball Speed adjustments it knocks out all wi fi in the far end of my house. My wife always knows when I'm tinkering and getting the bird set up to fly the following day because I kill her connection. Wonder if there is a control overlap?

Ya, my mavic stomps on the wifi sometimes too. That aside, only the video transmission comes back on wifi like signal. The control signal is transmitted more traditional with a very robust freq hopping signal to avoid being stomped on (colliding) with other signals using the same frequencies. Cell phones use similar techniques. Only a complete flood of the freqs with a device like a jammer can stop comm between devices 100%.

Went flying this weekend with my mavic Pro and a friend with a phantom 3. Both took off at the same time lost signal at the same time. Mine went to return home. The Phantom flu into a big tree. We used the flight log map to find his Phantom. As soon as his hit the tree mine regained signal and was just fine. It would have returned home anyway. I thought you could fly these things together and there was no issue or maybe just coincidence. The Phantom lost a prop broke the landing gear kicked out the battery and the SD card.

Was his phantom not set to RTH or the return height not properly set, or his phantom was already below the tree that grabbed it? That seams more strange a response than the connection drop.

He said that he had his settings set to return home but I didn't look. And yes I believe he was flying below the tree line. It was flying away when it hit the tree cuz it was on our side of the tree that it hit

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason