DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Disobedient drone

Droffarc

Reactions
A funny thing happened to me the other day:
I was flying my mini 2 focussing on obtaining footage of a coastal cliff cave. I was flying merrily when my eye caught sight of my drone where it should not be!
Momentarily, surprised I lost sight of where the mini was and my attention was on this drone - in my mind I was trying to figure out how the hell my drone had gotten THERE! It was completely in the wrong place and the more I pressed the left stick forward to increase height, the more the drone behaved like a bad brat, headed toward a bad place and a semblance of panic rose in me (which may have included some frantic fumes)!
Fortunately my logic prevaled - by comparing what I saw on my screen and the inputs I was giving it, it was not possible for my drone to be where I saw it!
After regaining composure and control (of my sphincter) I landed safely, still puzzled.What had I seen?
By and by a man stolled up to my precarious position as I sat fondly folding my mini 2 for storage - as I concealed my drone all was revealed.
He too was flying his Mavic about 50 yards from my spot. No wonder the drone would not respond to my inputs! it was not my drone!
We chatted a bit - he had recently aquired the Mavic and was new to flying. I tried to capture him flying using my Osmo Mobile 3, not too successfuly.
As an even bigger surprise - he was riding the same motorcycle as I was and was resident near where I used to live AND was married to someone in the teaching profession, as my ex spouse was! Talk about Coinsidence!

He too was flying his Mavic about 50 yards from my spot. No wonder the drone would not respond to my inputs! it was not my drone!
The chances of that are astronomical!
The fact that someone else could control your drone from a different controller would require that person to first know your controllers control prefix number somehow ( its not written anywhere.) and because no 2 controllers have the same prefix number- you would have to go thru gosh knows how many number combinations. then the person would have to program a new controller with your prefix number and- Then that person would have to pair that controller- Making yours useless.
However their is always the possibility of interference but such events do not show as "commands" rather they will seem like "hiccups" or lags

Reactions: Droffarc
The chances of that are astronomical!
The fact that someone else could control your drone from a different controller would require that person to first know your controllers control prefix number somehow ( its not written anywhere.) and because no 2 controllers have the same prefix number- you would have to go thru gosh knows how many number combinations. then the person would have to program a new controller with your prefix number and- Then that person would have to pair that controller- Making yours useless.
However their is always the possibility of interference but such events do not show as "commands" rather they will seem like "hiccups" or lags
I think were both talking about getting confused with whose drone were looking at in the air as were flying , nothing to do with the controller just being faked out my someone else drone thinking that it is ours.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I think were both talking about getting confused with whose drone were looking at in the air as were flying , nothing to do with the controller just being faked out my someone else drone thinking that it is ours.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Thats What it was all about - confusion!

Your brain had a workout! Your inputs, your screen shows that's happening, but you're eyes are seeing...no it's not. I can only imagine the relief you felt when the gentleman showed up with his drone.

"Whew....I'm not crazy!!!" 🤣😂🤣😂

I can see how that can freak you out. One to remember, when in doubt, press pause until you sort things out. One can easily crash moving the controls and not seeing what you think is your drone react.

I can see how that can freak you out. One to remember, when in doubt, press pause until you sort things out. One can easily crash moving the controls and not seeing what you think is your drone react.
The PAUSE button! Good advice!

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas