DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance range in built up areas

Nomadprince

Reactions
Hi

So new Mavic owner here. I have never managed to get the Mavic past about 550 - 600 metres. This is when i the video cuts out and loose all bars on the RC. Thats just 0.5km way below the max range. I have flow in 2 different directions and the range is about the same.

Aware that range is reduced in urban areas. But by this much. Normal? Im flying over gardens and parks mostly, not fully urban, not flying over roads.

Has anyone had better range over urban areas? Or is this about right?

A few tips for you to maximize your range
Cellphone on airplane mood
Pilot position in a clear of obstacles
Area
Rc antenna in L position (only the tip of the antenna is really transmitting)
Phone app cache memory free
You can help the rc by lifting it
And
If your location is Europe so you can find on line guide to forced fcc mood

Reactions: NortiRascal
New mavic owner as well and great tips as I'm having similar issues. Can you clarify what position the left antenna should be in? I have both angled forward per the user guide. Thanks!

I fly in suburbs with lots of trees, where most of the homes are on 1/2 to 1 acre and once you get up over 100 feet all you see is trees in every direction. I typically launch from a yard at the top of a hill and fly out over lower-lying land, and find even with all the trees in the way I can get around 1.5 km away from home before I start to get pixellation of the video and quickly-decreasing radio signal.

I always keep my antennas at 45° up and out, and try to keep myself pointed towards the Mavic. Once I hit 3 bars of radio signal I stop heading outward and start to make a big looping circle back towards my home point. Random spots seem to generate a lot of interference, I guess probably houses with a large WiFi network footprint, and I'll randomly get choppy or pixellated video on my screen although the saved video always looks perfect.

When flying in such areas make sure you have your RTH height set high enough for your Mavic to clear any trees or other obstacles, and don't panic if you lose video connection; the RC itself provides all the information needed to get back home, and when all else fails RTH can be a lifesaver as long as you have the height set correctly. Good luck!

-Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: NortiRascal
Thank you for the info. Live in similar areas but lots are smaller. Going to try your suggestions and to connect with lightning usb cable rather than the supplied micro cable as the four times or so I've flown the camera feed disconnected every time. Also having issues with active track where it follows my son one way but when he turns and comes straight back it stops in place where he turned around on hover board. Any tips on that would be appreciated:) thanks!

Thank you for the info. Live in similar areas but lots are smaller. Going to try your suggestions and to connect with lightning usb cable rather than the supplied micro cable as the four times or so I've flown the camera feed disconnected every time. Also having issues with active track where it follows my son one way but when he turns and comes straight back it stops in place where he turned around on hover board. Any tips on that would be appreciated:) thanks!
1. You have to enable Backward Flying in the Visual Navigation Settings.

2. Connecting from micro USB or USB port won't have any effect on max distance.

3. Flying with wifi off also have little to no effect on max distance (unless maybe if your wifi router is next/very close to you, I've never tested it that way, so can't be sure).

4. As for antenna orientation, best is perpendicular to the Mavic, not 45 deg. In other words, the wide part of the antenna should be facing the Mavic. The tip of the antenna has very short range. The further you fly, the lower the degree of the antenna orientation. Let say if the Mavic is 100m away and 100m high, the antenna shaft should be pointing upward at about 45 deg angle (at this close distance, you could point the antenna anywhere, actually). As you fly further and further away, you should lower the degree of upward pointing.

Last edited:
The key is making sure there is a clear line between your controller and the Mavic. Usually this mean flying up higher. You may also want to look at one of those boosters to help cut through.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead