DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY repair; don't over tighten the screws.

Former Member

Reactions
So many of us Mavic owners love to tinker, and thats fine. The problem with some DJI materials, is that the screw heads will strip very easily and so will the screw holes on the other side. Here are some examples:

• Most of the top body screws go in to plastic holes, and one turn of the screwdriver too much could strip the hole in the frame or body forever. It's not good to have a loose screw that could get into the inside of your drone or in the propwash and get shot like a bullet.
  • Most of the gimbal motor assembly screws are loctited in to metal, so it will take a good strong first twist to get it free.If you use the wrong size driver (I use Ph00), the screw will strip really easily, the the part you are trying to get off will have to be broken just to get the screw out.
  • Worst of all are the 2 long, side screws that hold the camera barrel to the gimbal motor assembly. These strip more easily than any other screw on the Mavic because they are loctities in, turned excessively tight at the factory, and some of the insulation putty that is behind the camera barrel PCB holds the screw in as well. If you strip eitehr of these 2 screws, say goodbye to your beautiful camera barrel, and you will probably have to dremel a screw slot in the top of the screw just to get it out. Then you have the screw on the other side to worry about!
  • One last place to be careful of are the gimbal motor covers. There are 5 covers that screw on to the motor assembly, and if you turn the screw too many times, the cover will crack at the screw hole. Also, the screw might punch all the way through the cover, then it wont hold on any more. The perfect depth is flush with the cover surface, they dont need to be too tight.

Hope youre all doing well, and having a great fall.

Best,

Rob

Don’t know whether DJI uses blue or red loctite. Blue is supposed to be removable and red is supposed to be permanent. Even with red if you heat the screw with a soldering iron you can get it out. 500 degrees for two minutes breaks down the loctite. Need to make sure that the part that the screw/bolt is in won’t be hurt by the heat.

Don’t know whether DJI uses blue or red loctite. Blue is supposed to be removable and red is supposed to be permanent. Even with red if you heat the screw with a soldering iron you can get it out. 500 degrees for two minutes breaks down the loctite. Need to make sure that the part that the screw/bolt is in won’t be hurt by the heat.

Have you used this method on a drone? How did it work for you?

DJI uses blue loctite, but keeping a soldering iron on the camera barrel screw for 2 minutes might cause unwanted heat transfer to the camera circuit board. If it works, its great. If not, theres a whole new part to have to troubleshoot.

Likewise, using a soldering iron to heat the gimbal cover screws will likely melt the plastic covers themselves.

[QUOTE="Thunderdrones, post: Have you used this method on a drone? How did it work for you?

DJI uses blue loctite, but keeping a soldering iron on the camera barrel screw for 2 minutes might cause unwanted heat transfer to the camera circuit board. If it works, its great. If not, theres a whole new part to have to troubleshoot.

Likewise, using a soldering iron to heat the gimbal cover screws will likely melt the plastic covers themselves.[/QUOTE]
I should have been more clear. I was speaking in general about Loctite. I have not tried it on an drones though I have on other of my radio control aircraft. I tried to emphasize that you must be cautious when heating a stuck screw to make sure you don't inadvertently damage something else.

Reactions: Former Member
[QUOTE="Thunderdrones, post: Have you used this method on a drone? How did it work for you?

Likewise, using a soldering iron to heat the gimbal cover screws will likely melt the plastic covers themselves.
I should have been more clear. I was speaking in general about Loctite. I have not tried it on an drones though I have on other of my radio control aircraft. I tried to emphasize that you must be cautious when heating a stuck screw to make sure you don't inadvertently damage something else.[/QUOTE]

I think the colors are probably the same. They use blue but it's still a pain to get the cheapo DJI screws loose sometimes.

Just a comment on units. “Degrees” have been mentioned and this is where an international site causes problems. Most of the world use the metric system of measurement and the quoted “500 degrees” if centigrade would be enough to melt even some of the alloys used let alone the plastic. 500 degrees Fahrenheit as used by the USA is only about half as hot. So please, give us a clue on the measurement system being used!
Yes, I know I live in a country that buys fuel in litres, measures distances in miles and fuel economy in miles per gallon. I’m also of the generation that uses both feet and inches and centimetres and metres but at least we specify the unit and measuring system. By the way, we also spell things differently too!!

Has this actually been a problem? I have disassembled over 15 (mavics) now and not seen even a hint of trouble.. Thunder should know as he has done a zillion//

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic