DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 2S - Panorama mode

izometric

Reactions
I purchased recently an Air2S expecting the 360 Panorama mode to work just like on the Mini 2 which I previously (and still) own.

Mini 2 behavior in 360 Panorama mode:

The drone will shot 26 photos, the movement of the gimbal can be seen on the screen moving smoothly from one shot to the other. Progress indicator is following the progress real time. When it shows 100% it is done and the drone can be piloted to a different location. Photos are saved jpeg + dng in a dedicated folder for each panorama.

Air 2S behavior:

The drone will stitch all photos in a single file, no dedicated folder on the card.

I finally managed to get it to save individual DNG files in a dedicated folder, but no JPEG.

The follow up of the shots on the screen is choppy. No smooth progress from one frame to the other, there is a jump from one shot to the other. Progress indicator lags (way) behind. The drone is done with the 26 shots and the progress in below 50%. And then you have to wait another 1 minute for the progress indicator to catch up.

DNG files are saved in 960 x 630 pixels resolution. => useless.

What am I doing wrong? Do you also experience the crappy behavior?

I checked side by side Mini2 and Air 2S, same phone, same Fly app even the same controller. Air 2S sucks at panorama mode. Why is it that Mini 2 required zero settings and adjustments and it just worked out of the box and the Air 2S still not working as expected after 2 full batteries used for settings (ah, yes, no 360 panorama settings available unless the drone is in flight).

One of my main activities with a drone are 360x180 panoramas. That's why I invested in a superior drone with a superior sensor.

Any useful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
...DNG files are saved in 960 x 630 pixels resolution. => useless.
Can't help you with the behavior ... but you're mistaken about the DNG resolution though.

What you see as the resolution when for instance hovering over the file with the mouse ... is the resolution of the embedded thumbnail in the DNG file. Open the DNG in a converter & you will see that it's in high resolution.

If I for instance look at one of my own DNG files from my older Mavic Air 1 with ExifTool ... both the full & low res. pics are revealed.

Exif.jpg

I purchased recently an Air2S expecting the 360 Panorama mode to work just like on the Mini 2 which I previously (and still) own.

Mini 2 behavior in 360 Panorama mode:

The drone will shot 26 photos, the movement of the gimbal can be seen on the screen moving smoothly from one shot to the other. Progress indicator is following the progress real time. When it shows 100% it is done and the drone can be piloted to a different location. Photos are saved jpeg + dng in a dedicated folder for each panorama.

Air 2S behavior:

The drone will stitch all photos in a single file, no dedicated folder on the card.

I finally managed to get it to save individual DNG files in a dedicated folder, but no JPEG.

The follow up of the shots on the screen is choppy. No smooth progress from one frame to the other, there is a jump from one shot to the other. Progress indicator lags (way) behind. The drone is done with the 26 shots and the progress in below 50%. And then you have to wait another 1 minute for the progress indicator to catch up.

DNG files are saved in 960 x 630 pixels resolution. => useless.

What am I doing wrong? Do you also experience the crappy behavior?

I checked side by side Mini2 and Air 2S, same phone, same Fly app even the same controller. Air 2S sucks at panorama mode. Why is it that Mini 2 required zero settings and adjustments and it just worked out of the box and the Air 2S still not working as expected after 2 full batteries used for settings (ah, yes, no 360 panorama settings available unless the drone is in flight).

One of my main activities with a drone are 360x180 panoramas. That's why I invested in a superior drone with a superior sensor.

Any useful advice will be greatly appreciated.
Did you ever get this figured out? My first pano attempt with the Air 2S returned similar results to yours.

Reactions: Aairon
Hi, my Air2s only saves the panoramas as JPEG even when I select raw to memory card. Am I not doing something right?
If the software stitches the raw files for you, it is supposed to save as jpg.
This can be handy if you don’t want to stitch 29 files manually in Lightroom or other.
Personally. I take 9 photos in dng. Stitch. Create a jpg pano. Never understood the extreme pano that DJI makes

I managed to get my Air2S to save the individual DNGs in a separate photo. I don’t recall how, but I learned it from this site. Anyway, once I copy the DNGs to my Windows PC, I use a free Microsoft program called ICE to stitch them into a panorama. ICE has several projection methods that let you choose how your final image looks. It’s easy to use, and offers more flexibility than Lightroom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR