DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 3 Charging Question

That's NOT correct !

You HAVE to take the voltage in consideration and convert the capacity to Wh.
Air 3: 4241mAh at 14,76V equals 62.6Wh
Powerbank: 40.000mAh at 3.7V equals 148Wh
Number of charges: 2, NOT 9

Besides that, the powerbank you mentioned before is only 20.000mAh at most.

FACT:
The energy density of LiPo batteries ranges from 140 - 200 Wh/kg in terms of weight and 250 - 350 Wh/l for volume.

Your powerbank weigh 0.43kg, it's volume is 1.46x0.73x0.31=0.33l
Assuming it contains the most dense (and most expensive) LiPo, it's capacity is at most:
Weight: 0.43x200=86Wh (23.000mAh)
Volume: 0.33x350=115Wh (31.000mAh)
Maybe you can share the formula for the setup I’m trying (just ordered this powerbank, and new hub). Hoping to be able to recharge a battery at least 4 or maybe 5 times (worst case 3x). With 3 batteries, that will keep me flying for more time than I’ll ever want to spend in the air in a day. I’m sure a power station has more capacity, but this 50KmAH power bank weighs just 2.6lbs and offers 100w output via USB-C and cost me around $40. Amazon.com

Attachments

• IMG_1448.png
    IMG_1448.png
    736.3 KB · Views: 5
Maybe you can share the formula for the setup I’m trying
200W 2x fast charging Air 3 battery charger.
The hub can only charge 2 batteries at once when both (2) inputs are used.
The mentioned powerbank only has 1 USB-C PD output.
It clearly states: Maximum charging power per battery: 80W
That's the same as the standard DJI Hub.

ZKpilse 100W Portable charger power bank
50Ah x 3.7V x 75% (efficiency) = 140Wh
Air 3 battery depleted to 10%: 63Wh x 0.9 = 57Wh
140 / 57 = 2.4
You can charge an Air 3 battery with 10% charge left 2.4 times.

Reactions: Heckmaniac's Drone
200W 2x fast charging Air 3 battery charger.
The hub can only charge 2 batteries at once when both (2) inputs are used.
The mentioned powerbank only has 1 USB-C PD output.
It clearly states: Maximum charging power per battery: 80W
That's the same as the standard DJI Hub.

ZKpilse 100W Portable charger power bank
50Ah x 3.7V x 75% (efficiency) = 140Wh
Air 3 battery depleted to 10%: 63Wh x 0.9 = 57Wh
140 / 57 = 2.4
You can charge an Air 3 battery with 10% charge left 2.4 times.
Thanks - only actually would want to charge 1 battery at time with power bank - thinking could re-charge one up while flying with one of other two charged batts. Since I rarely fly beyond 20% remaining I should be able to squeeze 3 charge ups from this setup. Worth it for a $40 power bank. The new charge hub was needed since the standard DJI hub would take charge from air3 battery and dump into power bank rather than from power bank to air3 battery.

The new charge hub was needed since the standard DJI hub would take charge from air3 battery and dump into power bank rather than from power bank to air3 battery.
I don't think that is due to the DJI Hub, but rather due to the power bank or user error.
You have to force the DJI hub into power bank mode by pressing the function button.
(User Guide: DJI Air 3 - Downloads - DJI)

I would like to hear the outcome if you could test this with the new power bank.

Last edited:
I don't think that is due to the DJI Hub, but rather due to the power bank or user error.
You have to force the DJI hub into power bank mode by pressing the function button.
(User Guide: DJI Air 3 - Downloads - DJI)

I would like to hear the outcome if you could test this with the new power bank.
Don’t believe user error - other strings in the forum with no clear answer why the Air3 hub won’t prevent charge from reversing direction. I’ll look at link you sent, but have been searching for answer the last year, without success (maybe this has changed - if so I’ll return the new hub).

Thanks - only actually would want to charge 1 battery at time with power bank - thinking could re-charge one up while flying with one of other two charged batts. Since I rarely fly beyond 20% remaining I should be able to squeeze 3 charge ups from this setup. Worth it for a $40 power bank. The new charge hub was needed since the standard DJI hub would take charge from air3 battery and dump into power bank rather than from power bank to air3 battery.
I looked up your power bank and it's not clear whether it truly supports the PD fast charging standard. The information on the item is ambiguous which is common on lower cost banks from China. If this is not a PD power bank then it will not be practical in the field because the charge times would be tremendously long. Let us know how this set up works for you.

I looked up your power bank and it's not clear whether it truly supports the PD fast charging standard. The information on the item is ambiguous which is common on lower cost banks from China. If this is not a PD power bank then it will not be practical in the field because the charge times would be tremendously long. Let us know how this set up works for you.
PD marked on box and documents inside. Also seems to be charging Air3 battery at 85w (see pics), A3 battery jumped from 61% to 75% in just a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: tribar
Don’t believe user error - other strings in the forum with no clear answer why the Air3 hub won’t prevent charge from reversing direction. I’ll look at link you sent, but have been searching for answer the last year, without success (maybe this has changed - if so I’ll return the new hub).
Got new power bank (PB) and new hub today. Tested using the PB 1st with DJI hub and same result as before - A3 batteries were charging the PB, not the PB charging the A3 batts as I wanted. I then used the new hub and wa-la, PB charging the A3 battery at 85w, so charging quickly. Now I can recharge A3 batts when out (multiple times) with the new 50 mah PB.

Got new power bank (PB) and new hub today. Tested using the PB 1st with DJI hub and same result as before - A3 batteries were charging the PB, not the PB charging the A3 batts as I wanted. I then used the new hub and wa-la, PB charging the A3 battery at 85w, so charging quickly. Now I can recharge A3 batts when out (multiple times) with the new 50 mah PB.
I'm also facing the same problem with this weird quirk.

I have AUKEY Sprint X 20.000mAH power bank that has 3 USB-C Outputs.
2 of them capable of delivering 100W of power, and can work as both Input and Output. One of the ports have PD/PPS logo on it, but sadly it doesn't work, the Air 3 hub ends up charging the power bank
1 of the output is Output only, which can charge the Air 3 hub but the port is limited to 30Watt, I know, better than nothing. I have searched around and this powerbank is a safe buy since it has dedicated Output port.

Now i'm curious about your new hub, does it look the same physically as your old hub? It sounds like DJI silently made a hardware revision of the Battery Hub. Can you post photos? preferably of the bottom side of the Hub with the IN/OUT specification.

Also hey everyone! long time reader first time poster here.

2 of them capable of delivering 100W of power, and can work as both Input and Output. One of the ports have PD/PPS logo on it, but sadly it doesn't work, the Air 3 hub ends up charging the power bank
1 of the output is Output only, which can charge the Air 3 hub but the port is limited to 30Watt, I know, better than nothing. I have searched around and this powerbank is a safe buy since it has dedicated Output port.

Now i'm curious about your new hub, does it look the same physically as your old hub? It sounds like DJI silently made a hardware revision of the Battery Hub. Can you post photos? preferably of the bottom side of the Hub with the IN/OUT specification.

Make sure you have a compatible PD cord, not just a regular cell phone charging cord. I've found some cords only work one way if you believe it since the electronics that control the PD power are only in one end. Definitely weird and can cause a lot of grief for users.

Heckmaniac purchased a non-DJI charging hub so there was no change to the DJI hub. I believe it was this hub: Air 3 Hub

Make sure you have a compatible PD cord, not just a regular cell phone charging cord. I've found some cords only work one way if you believe it since the electronics that control the PD power are only in one end. Definitely weird and can cause a lot of grief for users.
Hmmm... that might work, the electronics inside the cable being closer to the powerbank might make it so the powerbank detects there is a device that needs to be charged. Also I noticed the powerbank WANTS to become an output (the powerbank has display that displays output or input mode). The powerbank displays OUT and blinks several times before finally ends up in IN mode.

so I have tried changing the cable and switching the ends still no luck.. the cables I tried were
ESSAGER 100w 90 DegreePD cable
Nobrand 65W cable
AUKEY cable which came with the powerbank
INIU 100W cable

All have been confirmed to work at 65W (I only have 65W power brick).
I really want this to work since that is the main reason I buy the powerbank.

Heckmaniac purchased a non-DJI charging hub so there was no change to the DJI hub. I believe it was this hub: Air 3 Hub
Ahh the ISDT MA331, the aftermarket hub does look nice and able to charge 2 batteries at once. Is it compatible with the Fly More Combo bag?

Hmmm... that might work, the electronics inside the cable being closer to the powerbank might make it so the powerbank detects there is a device that needs to be charged. Also I noticed the powerbank WANTS to become an output (the powerbank has display that displays output or input mode). The powerbank displays OUT and blinks several times before finally ends up in IN mode.

so I have tried changing the cable and switching the ends still no luck.. the cables I tried were
ESSAGER 100w 90 DegreePD cable
Nobrand 65W cable
AUKEY cable which came with the powerbank
INIU 100W cable

All have been confirmed to work at 65W (I only have 65W power brick).
I really want this to work since that is the main reason I buy the powerbank.

Ahh the ISDT MA331, the aftermarket hub does look nice and able to charge 2 batteries at once. Is it compatible with the Fly More Combo bag?
Not sure what you meant by if it’s compatible with the Fly More Combo bag. It’s pretty much the same size as the DJI hub, so if that fits then this will (included pics of both side by side). Included pic of my backpack I use to carry my Air3 and Mini 4 Pro, etc. It works perfectly with my setup. I do notice that one battery is getting more power sent to it than the other (maybe 70w of the 95w) total, so one will charge up quicker than the other, but both are being charged at the same time. When one battery becomes fully charged, the others charge rate begins getting charged at 85w. I also really like that when I return from flying I can set the hub to charge batteries up to 60% and stop at that percentage automatically (perfect storage %) until next time I fly and charge to 100%. I no longer have to watch the charging closely and pull off charger when 2-3 lights are blinking.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
@sugaloy an idea occurred to me... Try connecting the empty hub to the charger, let it initialize (the green light on the hub will come on for a bit, then extinguish).

Now insert a battery and see what happens. Theory is that with no batteries, the hub won't advertise itself as a source in the PD negotiation. Hopefully it will connect as a sink, and inserting the battery won't change that.

Not sure what you meant by if it’s compatible with the Fly More Combo bag. It’s pretty much the same size as the DJI hub, so if that fits then this will (included pics of both side by side). Included pic of my backpack I use to carry my Air3 and Mini 4 Pro, etc. It works perfectly with my setup. I do notice that one battery is getting more power sent to it than the other (maybe 70w of the 95w) total, so one will charge up quicker than the other, but both are being charged at the same time. When one battery becomes fully charged, the others charge rate begins getting charged at 85w. I also really like that when I return from flying I can set the hub to charge batteries up to 60% and stop at that percentage automatically (perfect storage %) until next time I fly and charge to 100%. I no longer have to watch the charging closely and pull off charger when 2-3 lights are blinking.
Ah yes apologies for being vague, I meant can the ISDT hub fit in Fly More Combo bag.

The storage charge limit is indeed very convenient. I just don't want to spend more $$$ for the Air 3 for now... For financial reasons 😀

@sugaloy an idea occurred to me... Try connecting the empty hub to the charger, let it initialize (the green light on the hub will come on for a bit, then extinguish).

Now insert a battery and see what happens. Theory is that with no batteries, the hub won't advertise itself as a source in the PD negotiation. Hopefully it will connect as a sink, and inserting the battery won't change that.
Yes! Good idea will try first thing in the morning ...

And I tried it.
Good news! When the empty hub is connected to a power bank it stays in Yellow Light and and it stays that way even if I waited for a while and the powerbank is in Output mode.

Bad news is.. After a battery is inserted, then the hub began renegotiating with the power bank. This hub is so persistent being a power bank. It was a good try.

I also attached input/output specs for the powerbank.

Attachments

• 17235090328541227635249041265528.jpg
    17235090328541227635249041265528.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 17235091570361255201184854907847.jpg
    17235091570361255201184854907847.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 17235091853551423330303507145718.jpg
    17235091853551423330303507145718.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads