DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 3 Charging Question

TexasStar15

Reactions
Is there something I can buy that would allow me to charge my batteries out in the field away from AC. I was thinking they must make some kind of power bank to charge the batteries, similar to one's you can use to charge cell phones or tablets. I could be way wrong but if they make some kind of animal, can anyone point me to it. Thanks guys!

Is there something I can buy that would allow me to charge my batteries out in the field away from AC. I was thinking they must make some kind of power bank to charge the batteries, similar to one's you can use to charge cell phones or tablets. I could be way wrong but if they make some kind of animal, can anyone point me to it. Thanks guys!
You could try my trick: when I'm out in the arse-end of the back-of-beyond, I use the portable Honda 2.0i pure sine wave genset that gets loaded into the boot along with the rest of my field kit.
Looked into this myself a few years back and the only power bank with enough grunt to charge even one flight battery was almost as expensive as one of my Mav 2's and took over 24 hours to charge. Stumbled across the Honda genset lurking in the back of my shed and decided that the problem was solved: more than enough sparky go-go juice for my chargers and laptop so that during charging down time I could get on with data transfer to hard drives as well as basic editing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
The first link shows this generator "currently unavailable" on Amazon
Have you tried searching Amazon for car charger? I jut purchase one for my Mavic 3 for car trip in Kyrgyzstan where there are days without power. Here is my link

Dale
Miami

I bought of these for all my drones. I had to get one large enough for my Matrice M30 battery station. You could get by with a much smaller one for your Air 3.

if they make some kind of animal
If you are a do-it-yourselfer you can consider this solution (it's what I use when out hiking/cycling:

A standard 6s Lipo in combination with a PD65W USB-C PCB.

Battery Capacities to consider:
-Air 3, 63Wh
-Mini 3/4, 18/24Wh

Choose a big enough 6s Lipo for your needs
(6s_capacity / DJI_capacity = number of charges).
(capacity = Total voltage x Ah (NOT mAh))

Material:

6s 133Wh (6000mAh) Lipo (XT60 plug):

PD65W PCB:

XT60 Male Plug:

Universal 6s Lipo Charger with PD65W USB-C:

Total costs for 266Wh about $210

Last edited:
Power Stations are 100% the way to go. Many affordable options at Amazon.

Both of your links shows these items are "currently unavailable" on Amazon

Dale
Miami
Look for the equivalent on Amazon or Google

Do you mean power banks?

Power banks are use more as a small charging unit with are small and very portable , where as a power station is not something you can carry in a jacket pocket or backpack. Just check Power Station at Amazon and you will see what I'm referring to.

That has a much larger storage capacity and can easily charge multiple drones batteries many time. Some start over $150 and can go up to over $1000 depending on how big and how much power you need.

A small cheap $50 power bank may not charge large drone batteries as well and can basically charge a cell phone about 3 or 4 times. But not designed for large loads.

Something like this would be good. I'm not specifically recommending that one, there are many you can look at, but that one one of the first ones that came up in the search that isn't too expensive and would be sufficient capacity to last you all day.

It has a decent capacity and you can even use solar panel if you need more power and want to charge it.

Last edited:
Depending on the flight situation I have used quite successfully my Honda EU2200. It handles everything I have and then some. I have found that even the Honda 1000 will do the trick. I have 4 extended cap batteries for my Air3 and have found that if I let the battery cool for 10 to 15 minutes then start charging it will be charged before my last one is used. I have gone out where it was a major shoot and difficult wind situations where battery use was heavy and have taken my Air2s and mini 3pro and have had all three chargers working and really never ran out of battery. Frankly my thumbs gave out long before I would have ever ran out of battery. I have some friends that use a Harbor Freight generator 1000w generator and they run two battery chargers with it.

Power banks are use more as a small charging unit with are small and very portable , where as a power station is not something you can carry in a jacket pocket or backpack. Just check Power Station at Amazon and you will see what I'm referring to.

That has a much larger storage capacity and can easily charge multiple drones batteries many time. Some start over $150 and can go up to over $1000 depending on how big and how much power you need.

A small cheap $50 power bank will not charge large drone batteries and can basically charge a cell phone about 3 or 4 times. But not designed for large loads.

Something like this would be good. I'm not specifically recommending that one, there are many you can look at, but that one one of the first ones that came up in the search that isn't too expensive and would be sufficient capacity to last you all day.

It has a decent capacity and you can even use solar panel if you need more power and want to charge it.
Thanks, interesting option but looks too big and heavy to carry around.

Especially if one is traveling overseas or has to take a flight across the country

Reactions: MotoSavy
You should be looking at power banks with at least 20,000mAh capacity and 65W output and supports the PD 3.0 standard. I was looking at power banks such as the one below but I have no experience with any of these and I would anticipate that the stated power outputs are peaks and real world output would be lower based on the power bank temperature and charge levels. In other words I would not expect them to perform as well as an AC based charger but they should provide portable charging for Air 3 batteries.

Amazon.com

Last edited:
Reactions: MotoSavy
Thanks, interesting option but looks too big and heavy to carry around.

Especially if one is traveling overseas or has to take a flight across the country

Yes, the Power Station is good when traveling by auto. But, to carry around, you want the largest Power Bank you you can get.

When on my motorcycle I have this Power bank https://www.amazon.com/LOVELEDI-Pow...f85-8673-75d921b61876&pd_rd_i=B0B916NM1B&th=1 in my backpack, for cellphone, helmet comms system, etc charging.

It's 40,000mAh. I have never tried to charge my drones from it, but it is a very good Power Bank and very portable. Next time I fly, I will try to use it and see how it does.

Both of my drones have the three pack battery charger. The Air 3 specs shows that the intelligent battery is 4241 mAh, so in theory, it could charge a battery about 9 times. So, 20,000-40,000 Power Bank should work well. The Power Bank that I have is small and light and I think may suit your needs.

If I ever do commercial work, I will get a Power Station to ensure that I have more than enough power. Plus, I can also use it for an enclosed motorcycle trailer I plan to get to travel with a couple of motorcycles and have enough power to power lights and fridge on the trailer.

I guess motorcycling is the reason I think big on Power Stations instead of Power Banks. But, as I previously mentioned, I'm really happy with my 40,000 mAh Power Bank.

You should be looking at power banks with at least 20,000mAh capacity and 65W output and supports the PD 3.0 standard. The capacity of the Air 3 battery is a little over 4200mAh so this should be enough to charge 3 batteries. I was looking at power banks such as the ones below but I have no experience with any of these and I would anticipate that the stated power outputs are peaks and real world output would be lower based on the power bank temperature and charge levels. In other words I would not expect them to perform as well as an AC based charger but they should provide portable charging for Air 3 batteries.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Totally agree with a minimum of 20,000 mAh.

Check out the Power Bank I just previously mentioned and which I own and very happy with it. Much cheaper than the options you mention and is 40,000 mAh. Really not comparing brands, but the one I have has 4,500 ratings of 4.4 stars and is on sale for close to $29. A great deal, and really happy with it. I've owned it for a little over a year and it has never failed me.

I've left it months without using it and it has maintained 100% charge. I think it's was a great purchase and very happy with it.

Last edited:
The Air 3 specs shows that the intelligent battery is 4241 mAh, so in theory, it could charge a battery about 9 times.
That's NOT correct !

You HAVE to take the voltage in consideration and convert the capacity to Wh.
Air 3: 4241mAh at 14,76V equals 62.6Wh
Powerbank: 40.000mAh at 3.7V equals 148Wh
Number of charges: 2, NOT 9

Besides that, the powerbank you mentioned before is only 20.000mAh at most.

FACT:
The energy density of LiPo batteries ranges from 140 - 200 Wh/kg in terms of weight and 250 - 350 Wh/l for volume.

Your powerbank weigh 0.43kg, it's volume is 1.46x0.73x0.31=0.33l
Assuming it contains the most dense (and most expensive) LiPo, it's capacity is at most:
Weight: 0.43x200=86Wh (23.000mAh)
Volume: 0.33x350=115Wh (31.000mAh)

Depending on the flight situation I have used quite successfully my Honda EU2200. It handles everything I have and then some. I have found that even the Honda 1000 will do the trick. I have 4 extended cap batteries for my Air3 and have found that if I let the battery cool for 10 to 15 minutes then start charging it will be charged before my last one is used. I have gone out where it was a major shoot and difficult wind situations where battery use was heavy and have taken my Air2s and mini 3pro and have had all three chargers working and really never ran out of battery. Frankly my thumbs gave out long before I would have ever ran out of battery. I have some friends that use a Harbor Freight generator 1000w generator and they run two battery chargers with it.

Now you're talking serious power! I own one of those generator and used it back when I owned a Travel Trailer and powered the whole thing with it. I still own it and start it from time to time, just to make sure that the carb doesn't clog up on me.

A great generator.
That's NOT correct !

You HAVE to take the voltage in consideration and convert the capacity to Wh.
Air 3: 4241mAh at 14,76V equals 62.6Wh
Powerbank: 40.000mAh at 3.7V equals 148Wh
Number of charges: 2, NOT 9

Besides that, the powerbank you mentioned before is only 20.000mAh at most.

FACT:
The energy density of LiPo batteries ranges from 140 - 200 Wh/kg in terms of weight and 250 - 350 Wh/l for volume.

Your powerbank weigh 0.43kg, it's volume is 1.46x0.73x0.31=0.33l
Assuming it contains the most dense (and most expensive) LiPo, it's capacity is at most:
Weight: 0.43x200=86Wh (23.000mAh)
Volume: 0.33x350=115Wh (31.000mAh)

I'm sorry, I am not a scientist or mathematician, why I in the first place mentioned a Power Station as opposed to a Power Bank.

As I said, I have never attempted to charge my drones with a 40,000 mAh Power Bank. But I did an unscientific calculation and figured that maybe it could charge it that many times. And apparently, I may be way off.

My sincere apologies if I confused the facts.

But I still think that if you are not willing to spend the money or have the room for a Power Station, the largest Power Bank would be an alternative.

Give the power bank a try and if as @tribar said it will only do 2 charges, then you have to decide what your options are.

I do believe that a 40,000 mAh will give you more than 2 charges!

I have slept at a Holiday Inn, but I am not a scientist. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne