DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI authorization before flight - GEO ZONE Questions

Bob4131

Reactions
I was on the beach near Atlantic Beach, NC - see map. When I went to take off, DJI GO 4 posted a warning message about a warning zone and I needed to either put in my phone #/ DJI password or hit ignore. Since I normally like to take off quickly to avoid undue public interest, I was frustrated by the interuption. FYI - I fly under the "Special Rule" and I had called the airport.
I have two questions:
1) *** Is there any way to know about these zones that DJI requires a simple unlock/ ignore before actually taking off? My first thought was that it was some type of emergency zone but I understand DJI has many undisclosed warning zones. (From DJI's Geo Zone web page : Warning Zones. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message. ) Maybe it said on the screen why I was getting a warning message but I didn't see it. I was 3.5 miles from the Beaufort airport but I don't believe that was the cause of the warning. I was also very near a NC State Park which prohibits takeoffs and landings.
2) In this case, the Beaufort Airport is marked with DJI's authorization blue zones. Is there a way to understand before flying, what the specific authorization rules are for each space. For example, nearer the airport might be no flying without authorization - period. But the zones further away might only require authorization above a certain height. I like to understand and plan my flight ahead of time. I don't want to be flying and then have to spend time looking at the screen trying to decide why there is a restriction and what it is. ***How can I understand the specifics of a DJI restriction zone before flying?
Thanks I have been flying for a year and use Airmap, B4UFLY and sectionals but only recently have I been frustrated by these DJI surprises. Note I fly with my phone as a screen but before a flight I review maps on my PC or tablet which have much larger displays. Historically I have found DJI Geo Zone map restrictions to make sense ( the zones extending alone the runway for example). I just would like to understand them before flying.

Thanks BobScreenshot_20190310-113032.jpg
Screenshot_20190310-113032.jpg

I think you’re fighting a losing battle as DJI uses their own logic and algorithms, independent of official FAA giuidelines, and it changes all time, dependent on firmware upgrades.

I feel your pain. had a similar experience, I could not unlock using the controller. Finally DJI suggested I do a custom area. but that is interesting also.. when custom area is switched on, you can fly ONLY in the custom area. when you switch it off, you can fly anyplace but the restricted area. My issue is a heliport. I have 3 other heliports in my area, but DJI does not feel they are an issue. I asked for their rational and got........ Then I got an email in Chinese I think asking me to fill in their survey on customer service. DJI needs to do more wtih their customers, or the customers will go someplace else. IMHO.

I was on the beach near Atlantic Beach, NC - see map. When I went to take off, DJI GO 4 posted a warning message about a warning zone and I needed to either put in my phone #/ DJI password or hit ignore. Since I normally like to take off quickly to avoid undue public interest, I was frustrated by the interuption. FYI - I fly under the "Special Rule" and I had called the airport.
I have two questions:
1) *** Is there any way to know about these zones that DJI requires a simple unlock/ ignore before actually taking off? My first thought was that it was some type of emergency zone but I understand DJI has many undisclosed warning zones. (From DJI's Geo Zone web page : Warning Zones. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message. ) Maybe it said on the screen why I was getting a warning message but I didn't see it. I was 3.5 miles from the Beaufort airport but I don't believe that was the cause of the warning. I was also very near a NC State Park which prohibits takeoffs and landings.
2) In this case, the Beaufort Airport is marked with DJI's authorization blue zones. Is there a way to understand before flying, what the specific authorization rules are for each space. For example, nearer the airport might be no flying without authorization - period. But the zones further away might only require authorization above a certain height. I like to understand and plan my flight ahead of time. I don't want to be flying and then have to spend time looking at the screen trying to decide why there is a restriction and what it is. ***How can I understand the specifics of a DJI restriction zone before flying?
Thanks I have been flying for a year and use Airmap, B4UFLY and sectionals but only recently have I been frustrated by these DJI surprises. Note I fly with my phone as a screen but before a flight I review maps on my PC or tablet which have much larger displays. Historically I have found DJI Geo Zone map restrictions to make sense ( the zones extending alone the runway for example). I just would like to understand them before flying.

Thanks BobView attachment 65605
View attachment 65605

I live in that area, approx. 10 miles as the crow flies. I see in your maps that you don't have any warning zones turned on but the area you were flying in is exactly that, a warning zone. Seems to me the app should have given you a warning and that's all. I don't believe it should ask for a phone or email address unless you get to a blue zone. It should just put up a warning and let you go. I do not know if things like TFR's or something like that may cause you to have to unlock a zone, but I wouldn't think so. If I get into that area this week, I'll try it to see what my results are. Were you at the pier or close to it?

what happens when you do enter your phone # or email address? never been in that situation.

what happens when you do enter your phone # or email address? never been in that situation.

I thought you only had to enter your phone number or email or credit card number when a license was required to fly. It will then allow a license to be approved. It is just a way to identify you if you hit a plane or break some rules that are reported.

Take care and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242