DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI ban in USA and impact on Canadian tourists

Herongate

Reactions
Forgive me if that has already been discussed but i am trying to understand if as a Canadian travelling to the US, i can fly my DJI mini4 Pro (less than 250g) in the US? I have passed the TRUST test. The FAA has a FRIA map that I looked at to see where I can fly but I don’t see anything indicating restrictions for a given town, like Colton, NY for example. Am I missing something ?
Here is the link to that map.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Can you share the reference stating DJI has been banned in the USA?

Else no ban means business as usual for now.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Well, the ban hasn't arrived yet, and may never do - a video I saw this morning said the Senate had kicked it out again, and NDA Act was going ahead without it, which, if I understood that correctly meant it would have to survive on its own 'merits' going forward, which most people think has a very much lower chance of success. I didn't realise that if House and Senate couldn't agree on something it just gets left out.

Last edited:
Reactions: msinger
And even if it does pass, it will not affect any existing DJI drones... they will still be legal to fly. It will affect new models. Which further puts the lie to this "security" justification.

Keep in mind that's the current status of this unpassed legislation. It could certainly change.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZDave and AeroJ
Bring your Mini 4 to America ! You will have no problems at all. Just Take the TRUST exam and print out or keep a photo of the card. (simple) and follow any restrictions (FAA and Airspace wise) for the area. Stay out of the National Parks!!!! with it!! and you will have a great time!!

Forgive me if that has already been discussed but i am trying to understand if as a Canadian travelling to the US, i can fly my DJI mini4 Pro (less than 250g) in the US? I have passed the TRUST test. The FAA has a FRIA map that I looked at to see where I can fly but I don’t see anything indicating restrictions for a given town, like Colton, NY for example. Am I missing something ?
Here is the link to that map.
Thanks in advance for your help.
As everyone has mentioned, no ban for now. Bring your drone and it doesn't matter your drone size, all rules (except registration) apply to all drones. Bring your TRUST and you are not forced into FRIAs, you can fly anywhere not prohibited. You should try to use an app like Air Control while visiting.

-
And while in the state of NY, make sure you get the governor's permission before you do anything*. *sarcasm

Bring your Mini 4 to America ! You will have no problems at all. Just Take the TRUST exam and print out or keep a photo of the card. (simple) and follow any restrictions (FAA and Airspace wise) for the area. Stay out of the National Parks!!!! with it!! and you will have a great time!!
Thanks! I already have my TRUST “certification”. So i guess i am good to go? Its just that the FAA website says that unregistered drones from foreign countries are limited to FRIA sites, which I was trying to identify but couldn’t.

As everyone has mentioned, no ban for now. Bring your drone and it doesn't matter your drone size, all rules (except registration) apply to all drones. Bring your TRUST and you are not forced into FRIAs, you can fly anywhere not prohibited. You should try to use an app like Air Control while visiting.

-
And while in the state of NY, make sure you get the governor's permission before you do anything*. *sarcasm
Thanks Mavic3usa. :) will do !

Funny thing about this Drone Ban is the fact that Skydio has been lobbying for it but they have exited the Consumer Drone business! I’ve got a Skydio 2 but I don’t trust it past 100 feet! Go figure?

I wish Canada would allow us to fly drones over 250g with something like the Trust Certificate. I am currently traveling through Ontario, and there are many places I would like to fly the Mavic 2 Pro.

Thanks! I already have my TRUST “certification”. So i guess i am good to go? Its just that the FAA website says that unregistered drones from foreign countries are limited to FRIA sites, which I was trying to identify but couldn’t.
If you registered your drone with the FAA you're good to go. You only get one reg number for all your drones but they do each have to be registered (for non Part 107).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr