DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Consumables Post-Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

singram

Reactions
Hello all! let me preface this by saying that I've gone through all the ban related threads and I dont believe this has come up, so forgive me if I over looked it.

So it appears this ban only has a couple more hurdles to overcome, but its pretty much a sure thing. Making the assumption that DJI equipment purchased prior to the ban will be grandfathered in, what's you guy's thoughts on the availability of batteries or props? Given the language used in this ban I wonder if they would still be available to purchase legally in the US. I'd imagine there'll be non-OEM options out there, but I wonder what the legal ramifications are with selling consumables for banned products. Thoughts?

Personally, even if they grandfather in my fairly new DJI drones, but I have no options for battery or parts replacements, I'll probably just sell them and put the money into building an custom FPV with a nice camera so I still have an aerial photography option. Since the ban has been appearing more and more a certainty, I rarely fly them anymore anyway. Hard to look at them the same knowing they may very likely become expensive paper weights. MAN, this friggin blows!! LOL

Anyways any and all hypothetical, educated, best guess thoughts appreciated! I understand at the moment that's all we have.

contrary to two or three posters here who kept saying, over and over, that a ban wouldn't happen, and that people worrying about it were being hysterical, I agree that a ban seems only a couple of steps from being reality rather than a hypothetical

as for the actual language of the provisions that will become law as part of the NDAA, as far as I know, there was no provision for 'grandfathering' in existing drones. The other side of that is it would probably have to specifically contain language provisions for revoking the FCC licenses of existing drones

the 'best case scenario', assuming the ban actually becomes law, is that current DJI drone models would retain their FCC licenses. But that's just one of the things about this nightmare that doesn't make sense: if DJI drones are a actual security threat, why would existing DJI drones be allowed to retain their FCC licenses? For instance, the Mavic 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro, still had FCC approval, what would stop DJI from continuing sales of those drones in the USA? Would that be anywhere close to logical?

in other words, while a ban seems likely, we don't know yet how broad the ban will be. But a few months ago it seemed unlikely the first shoe would drop. Now that it almost has, I have no confidence that other shoes won't drop too

Last edited:
Reactions: franklinskite
This might be a bit like someone in1999 during the millennium fret-fest and pondering what was to be done with all the stockpiled dried beans and MREs after the world didn't plunge into disarray.

What actions might someone take, other than stockpiling batteries and propellers? All the speculation isn't productive.

Reactions: okw and Meta4
Ironically, I was thinking about this, as well as people with Care Refresh. What happens if it all goes through, etc, and something happens to a grandfathered unit?

Ironically, I was thinking about this, as well as people with Care Refresh. What happens if it all goes through, etc, and something happens to a grandfathered unit?
again though, there is no specific provision for grandfathering existing drones the last I read. But there is also no provision for revoking the FCC licenses of existing drones.

So far, according to Vic Moss and others, the ban deals with not issuing FCC approval for any future DJI drones. To me that seems like a giant hole in the ban. Would that mean that DJI can still sell Mavic 3 Pro's because the FCC license for that model is still in effect?

Reactions: KBF
Also a valid point. The fact that there are so many unknowns is just completely infuriating. And that aside, I feel so depressed thinking that my new investment may be ruled "illegal" with the stroke of a pen. No recourse, no reimbursement... such a load of crap.

Already feel wildly defeated and it sucks...

Reactions: jephoto and KBF
Also a valid point. The fact that there are so many unknowns is just completely infuriating. And that aside, I feel so depressed thinking that my new investment may be ruled "illegal" with the stroke of a pen. No recourse, no reimbursement... such a load of crap.

Yeah, this is about where I'm at. Not only are they a very expensive investment for me, but they also got me HUGE into photography. A year into drones, I bought a used Sony A7, then a few lenses. Backed off from drones quite abit and really got into handheld photography and editing. Came back to drones with a photography mindview and actually started selling framed aerial cityscapes.

I kind of figured this thread was pointless, maybe just a way to vent. There's no viable alternative to a DJI drone at this point that I'm aware of, so a big portion of my creative output will simply go away.

Just remember to vote out the representatives that were pushing this ban and boycott the companies that were helping to finance the lobbying efforts.

Reactions: Starz and JoelP
Just remember to vote out the representatives that were pushing this ban and boycott the companies that were helping to finance the lobbying efforts.
You aren't wrong per-se, but it seems like EVERYONE has supported this. And while i won't argue that all of Congress needs a refresh (and term limits, and better controls with lobbying, etc..), that obviously isn't happening....

You aren't wrong per-se, but it seems like EVERYONE has supported this. And while i won't argue that all of Congress needs a refresh (and term limits, and better controls with lobbying, etc..), that obviously isn't happening....
I agree entirely. He's not wrong, but that ship has unanimously sailed, it seems.

I suppose the bitter sweet part of it is that the resale value of these drones are expected to blow the hell up. Some of us will at least leave the hobby with a few bucks, lol

One thing to keep in mind...

If common sense doesn't prevail in D.C. (the usual tack), DJI could still import all of its current drones. And they could still import accessories and parts for those drones. So batteries and spare parts would not be affected. There is no provision that revokes the FCC licenses for current DJI gear. And remember, it's not just drones. It also includes mics and gimbals.

And in theory, they could even update those drones and import them if they can use the current FCC licenses to keep importing them. I'm not sure exactly how much they could modify their drones and still be allowed to use their current FCC licenses.

Also, if the CCCPDA language is added to the NDAA, we are working on Plan B. We'll share that when (if?) necessary and complete.

In the meantime, keep up the pressure on Congress. Go to our Take Action page and contact your elected officials and let them know your thoughts (nicely) about what these bills will do to our hobby and industry.

If common sense doesn't prevail in D.C. (the usual tack), DJI could still import all of its current drones. And they could still import accessories and parts for those drones. So batteries and spare parts would not be affected. There is no provision that revokes the FCC licenses for current DJI gear. And remember, it's not just drones. It also includes mics and gimbals.

And in theory, they could even update those drones and import them if they can use the current FCC licenses to keep importing them. I'm not sure exactly how much they could modify their drones and still be allowed to use their current FCC licenses.

Also, if the CCCPDA language is added to the NDAA, we are working on Plan B. We'll share that when (if?) necessary and complete.

In the meantime, keep up the pressure on Congress. Go to our Take Action page and contact your elected officials and let them know your thoughts (nicely) about what these bills will do to our hobby and industry.

Thanks for those details, Vic.

Thanks for those details, Vic.
Something I find a little curious. This DJI ban Is a BIG DEAL for our industry and no small part of the national economy. Why am I not seeing anything from the national media on either side of the political spectrum on this story??

Reactions: jephoto
‘HR 2864 requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to add DJI to its “Covered List.” If DJI is added to this list, the FCC would no longer be able to approve new equipment authorizations for DJI products or software in the US. The agency could also create a process to revoke existing authorizations.

This means no new DJI products would be approved in the US going forward, cutting you off all the latest innovations by the company. And the DJI drones currently approved for the US may also be grounded in the future. The bill could also add any software capable of operating on DJI products to the Covered List, including software produced by US software developers, subjecting them to the same restrictions.

This type of action by the FCC would mean the federal government could decide at any point that you are no longer allowed to fly the DJI drones or software that runs on DJI drones you have already purchased, no matter if you are flying for business, public safety, or even recreationally. The drone maker estimates that the financial impact of such a ban could be as high as $116 billion.‘

this has been the glimmer of hope I've been clinging to because it sure does look like Countering CCP Drones act is going to become law, either as stand-alone law or as a rider attached to the NDAA

now logically, if DJI drones are an actual security threat, it doesn't make any sense to just ban future DJI drones and products. But little about this process has been logical and rational. It seems to be mostly performance art, and in Stefanik's case, it's performance art for an audience of one. So then, my hope has been just getting the DJI future drone ban passed into law would be enough blood in the water for the legislators pushing this legislation in an election year

but as the article that franklinskite posted points out, the passage of the act could also authorize the FCC to start a process for revoking FCC licenses for current drones:

"HR 2864 requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to add DJI to its “Covered List.” If DJI is added to this list, the FCC would no longer be able to approve new equipment authorizations for DJI products or software in the US. The agency could also create a process to revoke existing authorizations.

This means no new DJI products would be approved in the US going forward, cutting you off all the latest innovations by the company. And the DJI drones currently approved for the US may also be grounded in the future. The bill could also add any software capable of operating on DJI products to the Covered List, including software produced by US software developers, subjecting them to the same restrictions.
"

DJI ban: What happens to the drone I already own?

now, even if it does happen, it wouldn't be immediate. And there may or may not be enough momentum for the FCC to go after current drones. One big problem is I can't imagine Skydio will stop pushing against DJI until all DJI drones are useless, And they certainly seem to have lots of leverage in D.C.

it sure sounds like if the head of the FCC is so inclined, the passage of the law won't be the end of action against DJI and the drones we all currently own

Here's part of what happened to my Sennheiser wireless mic when the fcc sold the bandwidth to a cell phone provider:
Sale of 600 MHz band Wireless Microphones.

The manufacture, import, sale, lease, offer for sale or lease, or shipment of wireless microphones or similar devices intended for use in the United States that operate on the 600 MHz service band frequencies (617-652 MHz and 663-698 MHz) is now prohibited. See FCC 15-100, FCC 15-99, FCC 17-95, DA 17-709.

Transition out of the 700 MHz Band​

In 2010, the FCC prohibited the operation of wireless microphones and similar devices (e.g., wireless intercoms, wireless in-ear monitors, wireless audio instrument links, and wireless cueing equipment) in the 700 MHz Band (i.e., 698 - 806 MHz). This 700 MHz band formerly had been allocated for TV broadcast services and has been repurposed for wireless broadband and public safety services. As a result, the use, manufacture, import, sale, lease, offer for sale or lease, or shipment of wireless microphones that are used in the 700 MHz Band was banned by the FCC. See FCC 10-16.

I instinctively know that DJI will address this. Just like when my Air 2 magically became legal the very day the ADS-B out became a requirement. That certainly didn’t happen with my personal aircraft.

If not, of course, I’ve lived without drones for a very long time. I’ll just have to put my Pocket 2 on a long pole… oh no🙄that could be next

And I just bought my M3Pro a few weeks ago. Spent nearly $3k between the drone, filters, 2yr DJI Care & tax.
I am seriously bummed…

I agree entirely. He's not wrong, but that ship has unanimously sailed, it seems.

I suppose the bitter sweet part of it is that the resale value of these drones are expected to blow the hell up. Some of us will at least leave the hobby with a few bucks, lol
How do you figure resale value will go UP? I would think if use of DJI products is banned in the US, value would plummet. But maybe there’s an aspect to this I am not seeing…

Reactions: gleavitt513
Something I find a little curious. This DJI ban Is a BIG DEAL for our industry and no small part of the national economy. Why am I not seeing anything from the national media on either side of the political spectrum on this story??
Drones are not important to a large segment of our society, not even a bit. Transgenderism dominates the news these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erintse