DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.7.8 - adjustable sharpness / noise reduction!

I think it's a 5 speed synchromesh.
With overdrive :D

The general feeling is this "enhanced transmission" is basically the rollout of remote ID. Unlikely to be some amazing boost in signal robustness or range.

dji fly app showed info during update that drones not updated will not be able to fly in us(rc n1 remote not dji rc,ipad pro)
Thats a DJI thing not a US law thing for the Mini as far as im aware.
Ultimately, don't update you can fly (software wont stop you).
Update and you can fly buy stuck with RID forever, even if its not required. Disable RID and it won't fly.

If they fly *now* they'll fly in a few months time if not updated (fly or drone).

i have the Mini 3 pro with the DJI RC with the built in screen ,i did the App update ,to 1.7.8,on my I pad for my MM and then , did the new firmware update plus the App update for the controller ,for the Mini 3,during the firmware update it did not appear to do a battery update,but before i fly again, i will try another battery to see if it asks for a battery update ,normally if the battery is being included in the update ,it will at some point start the battery lights flashing ,as the update is taking place ,i did not see this happening ,but could have missed it

Mine did the 2nd battery from the front screen of the fly app when i hit "check firmware".

3rd battery it did nothing when i checked, entered the camera fly screen, checked from inside that part of the app and then it decided it needed one.

Not been able to take off yet but the new Fly App loads certainly into the camera and all the settings on both my Android 13 phone (Pixel 7 Pro) and Lineage running Samsung Android 12 tablet.

Reactions: old man mavic
Been seeing a few reports of sensors not working after update here in Australia will wait a while to update.

Mine did the 2nd battery from the front screen of the fly app when i hit "check firmware".

3rd battery it did nothing when i checked, entered the camera fly screen, checked from inside that part of the app and then it decided it needed one.

Not been able to take off yet but the new Fly App loads certainly into the camera and all the settings on both my Android 13 phone (Pixel 7 Pro) and Lineage running Samsung Android 12 tablet.
i checked this morning and the batteries do indeed need to be updated if you have more than one,i did not get any message on the screen but when i went into the menu and about ,then check firmware gave me the update message and i did each battery ,

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Up here in Alaska I'm not too concerned about Remote ID because I am usually pretty darned remote...but sheesh...if I was flying in a big town Outside.... I think it's going to get really nasty for folks here and there but I hope my concern is unwarranted.

The addition of shutter and ISO priority is the main thing that caught my attention too. Sharpness and noise reduction adjustability is nice to have, but we've had basically exactly that, and much more, through shooting in RAW.

Is the "enhanced transmission" anything about improvements to the signal robustness, or just another way of saying "remote ID added"?
About sharpness and noise reduction, even in D-Cinelike the drone adds artificial noise reduction that in low light and medium ISO, sometimes it makes the video extremely mushy, so I hope this new option helps reduce the in-drone denoising, making the D-Cinelike mode a bit more raw than before.
I didn't buy the drone yet, so I hope someone else will test this.
Here you can see that problem, starting at 17:05

With overdrive :D

The general feeling is this "enhanced transmission" is basically the rollout of remote ID. Unlikely to be some amazing boost in signal robustness or range.
It could be a feature only usable in China where you can extend the range using 4G or 5G network

Reactions: mobilehomer
Today's DJI Fly update change log:

View attachment 156342
Hello. Do any of you think that the sharpness bit of the update will to some extent overcome the lack of sharpness due to the fact of very low or none of Depth of field because to me there is nothing more off putting than seeing the background of a nice seascape or landscape blurred, thats why I cancelled my order when the mini 3 pro came out. Thanks

Hello. Do any of you think that the sharpness bit of the update will to some extent overcome the lack of sharpness due to the fact of very low or none of Depth of field because to me there is nothing more off putting than seeing the background of a nice seascape or landscape blurred, thats why I cancelled my order when the mini 3 pro came out. Thanks
I am not sure what you mean by very low or no depth of field. The single wide angle lens of the Mini 3 has a very wide depth of field. If you saw blurring of background in a landscape image it had to be either a bad camera or you manually focusing close or the camera seeing something close up that it focused on. Landscapes after all are all background.... If your drone is at 150ft virtually everything will be in focus. Somebody here will toss in the depth of field for that lens but it's substantial as is any wide angle lens. The new settings will, I assume, let you dial in your preferences a bit but it will take a lot of testing to learn how they act and I've not heard any specifics. Do the settings affect dlog and normal? How much do each settings change the output.

I am not sure what you mean by very low or no depth of field. The single wide angle lens of the Mini 3 has a very wide depth of field. If you saw blurring of background in a landscape image it had to be either a bad camera or you manually focusing close or the camera seeing something close up that it focused on. Landscapes after all are all background.... If your drone is at 150ft virtually everything will be in focus. Somebody here will toss in the depth of field for that lens but it's substantial as is any wide angle lens. The new settings will, I assume, let you dial in your preferences a bit but it will take a lot of testing to learn how they act and I've not heard any specifics. Do the settings affect dlog and normal? How much do each settings change the output.
Yeah i don't get that either.

The mini 3 has a tiny sensor and a very fast, fixed aperture lens.
Looking on calculators just about everything 1.5m or further is at infinity focus.

The drone has vast depth of field and its impossible to change that due to the fixed aperture.

i noticed the outer glass of the camera module misting up for the first time two weeks ago when i was flying on a particularly cold overcast day ,it started after i had been flying for a few minutes ,and cleared when for a short time the sun came out and the temperature increased by a few degrees
the cover over the front of the camera module ,serves no purpose other than cosmetic and is removed to fit an ND filter of choice it has no glass in it
i very carefully removed the two screws either side of the module and the whole front panel of the camera module came off, where it fts round the camera lens itself there is an o ring seal ,i removed it to look for damage ie , pinched on assembly ,but it all seemed fine ,so after cleaning the inside of the glass and the cover ,i reassembled the module
the problem is that the cover with the glass in it is not hermetically sealed
so over time it could be possible for moisture to get inside which could cause the misting to the glass ,not the camera lens itself
so i decided to purchase one ND filter ,in my case an ND 8, and have now fitted it to the drone but am still waiting for the right weather conditions to try it out
my thinking behind the filter is that it will provide another layer of glass over the module glass itself,and my hope is that it will help prevent the cold air from directly hitting the glass in the cover ,and hopefully prevent the misting from happening
should this be the case i will report back on my findings
Hello OLD MAN MAVIC..! It's clear to me what you did with the camera in terms of investigating if moisture had gotten inside it, it's very true that the camera lid doesn't make a good tight seal to prevent moisture from fogging the outside glass...what It is not clear to me why you chose to put an ND8 filter on the camera to prove that this filter will attenuate and stop moisture from entering the camera… ND 8 will not affect the ISO that you will have to adjust for when you take photos or frames per second when you record a video.?…Why not use a neutral or polarized ND filter…?…so that it does not affect you and you have to make adjustments in the camera…? Greetings 🖖🏿

@Jorge Vergara Latoja ,hello to you Jorge,i chose to fit an ND8 filter simply because i have used one ,on both my MPP and MM ,since they were new ,and have always been happy with the results they give me ,they are on permanently,so because of this i decided to try an ND8 filter on my mini 3, to see if it would indeed give a further level of air gap, between the outer glass cover ,and the camera lens itself

Reactions: Morrisey20
Ive just bought a UV filter (normally hate the things, they should never be used on any digital camera) purely to see if it solves the fogging issue.

Unfortunately as im in Wales, looking at the weather forecast, i may get to fly in 8 days to test it.

I'll update here if or when it ever stops raining or winds go below 25kts!

I think you are talking about the mushiness/blurriness of some footage, especially in low light and high ISO, in that case, that is produced by the automatic noise reduction, with the new options you can reduce the effect of the noise reduction, you will have more noise, but also slightly more detail, then you can adjust the noise by yourself in some video editing program.
Here there is some comparison with the noise reduction, I hope he will do some video about the sharpness in low light soon.

Sharpness isnt about low light. The default Mini 3 video comes out oversharpened with halos and other harsh artefacts.
Being able to reduce that to apply to taste in post is a huge help.

Sharpness does not equal detail.

The default NR is severe even in good light at low ISOs, foliage tends to go mushy and other issues. Again once this is applied in drone it cannot be fixed in post so its a great setting to be able to change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_