DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App Aircraft orientation display problem

Johnno53

Reactions
The DJI Fly App has an aircraft orientation display that displays an arrow showing the direction of which way the controller is pointing, for best transmission the idea is that you can point the controller to face the drone. I am experiencing a real problem with this tool, when the drone is in the air and directly in front of me the arrow points anywhere but towards the drone, in fact if I turn with my back to the drone the arrow is then almost pointing towards the drone!
I am using a Samsung S10+. Any ideas on how I can correct this issue?

Regards
John

What drone/controller are you using? Many people have had issues with magnetic interference from the controller affecting the phone compass. The app uses your phone's compass to show which way you're facing and if there's a magnet (ie the magnetic field from your controller) near your phone it can put the compass reading way off. The mini 1 controller is particularly bad for this.

Some options that give varying degrees of success for people:
  • Put the phone as far away from the controller as possible while still latching it into the holders on the controller.
  • Recalibrate the phone compass after clipping it into the controller (wave your phone and the controller round in figure of eights a few times).
  • Get a longer cable and flip your phone 180 deg in the controller
  • Just ignore the indicator and accept it will be wrong!
I have an S10 and a mini 1. I've just gone for the last of the options above and use the pop out map for orientation when needed.

Reactions: R.Cowan
There are two arrows, the big one in the center which is the drone and a small one with the blue circle that represents the RC. Which one are the one you are talking about?

What drone/controller are you using? Many people have had issues with magnetic interference from the controller affecting the phone compass. The app uses your phone's compass to show which way you're facing and if there's a magnet (ie the magnetic field from your controller) near your phone it can put the compass reading way off. The mini 1 controller is particularly bad for this.

Some options that give varying degrees of success for people:
  • Put the phone as far away from the controller as possible while still latching it into the holders on the controller.
  • Recalibrate the phone compass after clipping it into the controller (wave your phone and the controller round in figure of eights a few times).
  • Get a longer cable and flip your phone 180 deg in the controller
  • Just ignore the indicator and accept it will be wrong!
I have an S10 and a mini 1. I've just gone for the last of the options above and use the pop out map for orientation when needed.
Hi, thanks for the info. I have a Mini 2 withe the grey controller. I'll try what you have suggested in points 2 and 3 when I next fly. Thanks again.

Reactions: scro
I have this same issue with Litchi. It points where it wants. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes it's way off, whether compass is calibrated or not.

The DJI Fly App has an aircraft orientation display that displays an arrow showing the direction of which way the controller is pointing, for best transmission the idea is that you can point the controller to face the drone. I am experiencing a real problem with this tool, when the drone is in the air and directly in front of me the arrow points anywhere but towards the drone, in fact if I turn with my back to the drone the arrow is then almost pointing towards the drone!

Regards
John
Calibrate the compass of your phone (not your drone). There are apps for that on play store and app store

Reactions: R.Cowan
There are two arrows, the big one in the center which is the drone and a small one with the blue circle that represents the RC. Which one are the one you are talking about?
The small one representing the RC.

Regards
John
Your remote is interfering with your phone's compass. Calibrating your phone's compass (not the drone's) WITH the phone attached to your remote should fix your issue. Make sure the remote is powered on. I have to do this every time prior take off if I want my directional arrow to properly align.

Your remote is interfering with your phone's compass. Calibrating your phone's compass (not the drone's) WITH the phone attached to your remote should fix your issue. Make sure the remote is powered on. I have to do this every time prior take off if I want my directional arrow to properly align.
Thank you, this makes sense, will try next time I fly

DJI design flaw then for whatever is causing it, surely this shouldn't happen?
Could it be the speaker?
Does this happen with all DJI remotes?

Regards
John
Thank you for all that offered assistance, I calibrated the phone with controller attached and problem seems to have been fixed.
Thanks again
John

What did you use, Google maps?
Android will recalibrate the phone's compass automatically if you wave it round in figure of eights. You don't need to invoke a special "calibrate" mode or app for this to happen.

@Johnno53 you may find your phone's compass is a bit off when it's not clipped into the controller and, for example, you're using maps or something. A simple recalibrate figure of eight again without the controller near should fix it again, but will "unfix" the fly app direction indicator.

Reactions: Johnno53
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31