DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly app different

A.O.

Reactions
So I'm trying to figure out whats up. I have a month old MA2 with standard RC. When I started this adventure I read the online manual and watched a bunch of "teaching" videos trying to learn this thing as best I could. BUT... So much of the stuff on my app/controller do not match up, for instance here are some of the differences I can come up with off the top of my head right now....
My controller says Tripod mode, the app says Cinesmooth. There is no APAS anywhere to be found on my app. Dang, there's a couple more things that are evading me right now, but why the differences?? I look at one of those videos and try to do what they are telling me but the stuff cannot be found..... Hmmmm

Yeah, as DJI makes updates available for their flight apps, they often make changes with little to no documentation. Typically, they just say something like, "Improves the flight experience", in the release notes, and we are left to figure it out. You know what they say, and it applies in these cases. One of the primary elements of intelligence is the ability to adapt...

Yes, here is the message from the software update which rebranded APAS to "Safety Assistance".

APAS-SafetyAssist-02.jpg

And here's a visual I made to explain where APAS went to.

APAS-SafetyAssist-03.jpg

SafetyAssistanceIndicator.jpg
As a bonus I'm including the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator with an explanation for the different conditions. Unfortunately (or fortunate depending on your view) the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator will be replaced with a compass style tracker and attitude indicator in a future release of the Fly app.

AircraftOrientationIndicatorWarnings.png

"Read the manual" advice doesn't always work..especially with the Mavic Air 2. Waiting to see whats on the new app..and how long it's going to take me to forget it. I like the Fly App better than the Go4 but on the Go4 things seem to stay put.
love Pappy's graphic description above!

Reactions: Pappy
"Read the manual" advice doesn't always work..especially with the Mavic Air 2. Waiting to see whats on the new app..and how long it's going to take me to forget it. I like the Fly App better than the Go4 but on the Go4 things seem to stay put.
love Pappy's graphic description above!
I think I've read the manual 3 times now.

Unfortunately (or fortunate depending on your view) the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator will be replaced with a compass style tracker and attitude indicator in a future release of the Fly app.
The attitude indicator will be a welcome addition IMO. For those who have never used GO4, it will take some figuring out, but I often deal with winds, and it's nice to be able to see real time how much the copter is banked over into the wind while at a distance.

The attitude indicator will be a welcome addition IMO. For those who have never used GO4, it will take some figuring out, but I often deal with winds, and it's nice to be able to see real time how much the copter is banked over into the wind while at a distance.
I used to live in Missouri... show me.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I used to live in Missouri... show me.

This is a fairly good tutorial on the attitude indicator. The only thing I usually keep an eye on is the pitch and bank of the copter. This can give you a good idea of wind direction aloft.

Reactions: Leckhart

This is a fairly good tutorial on the attitude indicator. The only thing I usually keep an eye on is the pitch and bank of the copter. This can give you a good idea of wind direction aloft.

Except, it's really confusing that in pitch it properly displays the motion of the horizon, but in roll it's showing the motion of the copter.

In pitch, aircraft nose-down flying forward the horizon comes up, or aircraft nose-up the horizon drops down. That works properly.

But in roll, as the aircraft banks to the left this attitude indicator is also shown rolling left. Shouldn't the horizon go the other way? In roll, this indicator is now showing the aircraft rolling left, instead of showing the horizon rolling right.

So, in pitch the line moves properly with respect to the horizon, but in roll it's instead moving with the aircraft.

Does anyone have a video showing how the new indicator moves with this latest Fly app?

So I'm trying to figure out whats up. I have a month old MA2 with standard RC. When I started this adventure I read the online manual and watched a bunch of "teaching" videos trying to learn this thing as best I could. BUT... So much of the stuff on my app/controller do not match up, for instance here are some of the differences I can come up with off the top of my head right now....
My controller says Tripod mode, the app says Cinesmooth. There is no APAS anywhere to be found on my app. Dang, there's a couple more things that are evading me right now, but why the differences?? I look at one of those videos and try to do what they are telling me but the stuff cannot be found..... Hmmmm
There is no Tripod mode anymore, regardless of the switch label. I sorely miss it, and am quite disappointed in this change for the worse. Nearly wrecked my drone on first flight because of this. DJI chat verified this with me, but no words on what they were thinking.

There is no Tripod mode anymore, regardless of the switch label. I sorely miss it, and am quite disappointed in this change for the worse. Nearly wrecked my drone on first flight because of this. DJI chat verified this with me, but no words on what they were thinking.
I'm new enough that I've never really used tripod yet, so it doesn't really effect me.. nothing to compare too.

How is Cinesmooth different from tripod?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705