DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly "RC Calibration Required" error

maggior

Reactions
I have a smart controller I use with my MA2, so I use DJI Fly on it. I have been having an issue where I can't take off because of a "RC Calibration Required" error message. No amount of compass calibrations on the SC would make the error go away. It seemed like random starting/stopping the controller and app would get past it but I think I may have figured something out. Along the way DJI Support had me reset my SC and reload everything.

I noticed that when I start DJI Fly, it flashes a notification on the screen indicating "Network Connection Required to use DJI Fly". I usually ignore this. Yesterday when I came home from a location where I couldn't fly, I powered everything up at home and the "RC Calibration" error was persisting. Out of curiosity, I enabled WiFi and let it connect to the internet, thinking perhaps I should pay attention to that error. I brought DJI Fly up and wouldn't you know the RC Calibration error went away.

I'll have to experiment with this more to see if this is really the issue, but I'm curious if anybody else has run into this. I see threads about the "RC Calibration Required" error message but no definitive resolution.

RC calibration required means you must calibrate the RC's sticks and dials, there's an option for it in the RC section of the apps.

Reactions: maggior
RC calibration required means you must calibrate the RC's sticks and dials, there's an option for it in the RC section of the apps.

Next time it happens I'll check that out. The only reason I focused on the compass is when I tapped on the red error message, it said something about calibrating the RC's compass. For grins I have even calibrated the drone's compass and it had no effect.

Thanks for your suggestion!

UPDATE
Googling I don't see these calibration options for the Smart Controller and/or the DJI Fly app. Looking in the app and controller settings myself, I only see an option to set the Stick Mode, no calibration options.

Last edited:
I'm going to continue to update this thread for anybody else that may run into this issue.

I had another theory about the cause of this issue when I found that the timezone was set for someplace in China and my time was off by 12 hours! Well all of my theories went out the window when I ran into the problem the following day and connecting to the internet and verifying the timezone didn't help. Came home and nothing would make the error go away, except for refreshing the drone firmware.

None of this makes sense and it is all very random and the problem keeps coming back, seemingly more frequently at this point.

So the controller and the drone are on their way to DJI. With it being an intermittent problem, I'm fearful of the dreaded "no trouble found" conclusion. I screen recorded the problem so they can see the issue in action.

So we shall see...

To close this out, I got my drone back from DJI with a new Smart Controller. In the repair case they said they replaced the stick control modules, but I was sent a new controller. I though that was odd, but I am happy about that so I don't have to worry about this mysterious error coming back.

After flying 4 batteries this weekend all seems to be OK.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Have exactly the same issue, you get to a good location get setup and RC CALIBRATION REQUIRED, no matter what you do it does not go away. One thing I have noticed is when you start up you know you have the problem if the left hand blue led comes on. FRUSTRATING/

Have exactly the same issue, you get to a good location get setup and RC CALIBRATION REQUIRED, no matter what you do it does not go away. One thing I have noticed is when you start up you know you have the problem if the left hand blue led comes on. FRUSTRATING/

There is an option in the pull down menu on the SC to calibrate the sticks. It takes you to DJI GO, but the procedure works even if you are using DJI Fly. I wish I had known this back when I had the problem since it probably would have saved me a ton of grief. The problem is that when you research the error message, it directs you elsewhere which doesn't help.

You should give that a try and see if it helps. It is REALLY frustrating, that's for sure.

There is an option in the pull down menu on the SC to calibrate the sticks. It takes you to DJI GO, but the procedure works even if you are using DJI Fly. I wish I had known this back when I had the problem since it probably would have saved me a ton of grief. The problem is that when you research the error message, it directs you elsewhere which doesn't help.

You should give that a try and see if it helps. It is REALLY frustrating, that's for sure.
Thanks for your reply to my message, I have already used the RC calibration, but that doesn't fix the problem no matter how long you move the sticks around. I have contacted DJI and hopefully will hear something back soon.

Reactions: maggior
Thanks for your reply to my message, I have already used the RC calibration, but that doesn't fix the problem no matter how long you move the sticks around. I have contacted DJI and hopefully will hear something back soon.

Good luck. Hopefully DJI gets you fixed up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots