DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV batteries loose change when idle.

jwahaus

Reactions
I've noticed my 3 DJI FPV batteries (Li-Po) loose a significant amount of charge when they're not being used. I've never seen this happen with lithium batteries before. The FPV batteries will loose 25-30% capacity in a week unless they are sitting on the charger. My air 2S batteries don't have this problem.

The batteries are only a few weeks old so they're not going bad.

@jwahaus there is a FPV drone pilots forum ,go to the bottom of the page and click on that and you will probably get a lot more help and advice

That's a feature, not a bug. And, yes, your Air 2S batteries will also dump charge if you let them sit. DJI's "Intelligent" batteries deliberately discharge down to 60% to avoid maintaining full charge on a LiPo.

Direct from DJI: "...an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days."

I've noticed my 3 DJI FPV batteries (Li-Po) loose a significant amount of charge when they're not being used. I've never seen this happen with lithium batteries before. The FPV batteries will loose 25-30% capacity in a week unless they are sitting on the charger. My air 2S batteries don't have this problem.

The batteries are only a few weeks old so they're not going bad.
There is a circuit board inside the battery which discharges the battery to about 60% after it has been fully charged and not used within a few days. This is because the battery chemistry will degrade faster if the battery is left in a fully charged state. Virtually all DJI drone batteries do this.

That's a feature, not a bug. And, yes, your Air 2S batteries will also dump charge if you let them sit. DJI's "Intelligent" batteries deliberately discharge down to 60% to avoid maintaining full charge on a LiPo.

Direct from DJI: "...an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days."
Okay, that's good to know. I've always heard that storing lithium batteries was best done at a nominal charge but I've never encountered a battery system that discharges the battery automatically.

I think maybe they're a little too aggressive on their battery discharge schedule, but I suppose they've done the math on it. I'll have to start planning my flights and top off the batteries the day before. I can always head out with 3 60% charged batteries I suppose.

I've never encountered a battery system that discharges the battery automatically
DJI batteries have been auto discharging for some years now. It's an important thing to take note of since that can destroy batteries when left unattended for many months on end. They'll auto discharge and the remaining charge will slowly deplete over time.

Okay, that's good to know. I've always heard that storing lithium batteries was best done at a nominal charge but I've never encountered a battery system that discharges the battery automatically.

I think maybe they're a little too aggressive on their battery discharge schedule, but I suppose they've done the math on it. I'll have to start planning my flights and top off the batteries the day before. I can always head out with 3 60% charged batteries I suppose.
not a good idea to set out with 60% charge in your batteries ,apart from your flights not lasting very long you also run the risk of damaging the batteries if you let the charge get very low and also the drone if it decides to auto land because of low battery

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

That is a very bad idea! You always want batteries at full charge when you launch. As a test for you to see why, charge a battery to 100% then go to an open field and fly with the fully charged battery and record your flight time. Now fly with a battery that is at the 60% storage level and record your flight time. My guess is that your flight time on the fully charged battery will be 3X or more than you get with the one at storage voltage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven