DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Geo System not updating: DJI's Reply

Limey

Reactions
For several weeks I have been patiently waiting for the local TFRs to clear following the wildfires that have been happening in our area. I have been checking on B4UFLY and AIRMAP because the DJI GO4 app has Geo fenced the entire area with multiple overlapping sectors. Every time I want to fly I have to go to my computer and request an unlock for multiple zones before I can get off the ground. It lasts a couple of days before having to re-request. I have been in touch with DJI and the technician has forwarded the information I obtained from the FAA that there was no active TFR in my area and that the Geo Fencing that was stopping me flying was due to FlySafe not updating. Below is the Email I received from the technician that assisted me. He had me on the phone for 30 minutes while he attempted to reach the DJI FlySafe team without success. The public is not allowed to speak directly to that team.

The reply states that "the GEO system is advisory only". If the app is supposed to be advisory only it should not be preventing safe operation of our aircraft.
It says the functionality of the app is "not to match any particular set of regulations that apply to a certain user". That's exactly what it does and even requests an individual controller ID in order to unlock the restrictions. I was initially informed by the technician that the FlySafe database was constantly updating. When I asked, "then why is it not clearing the outdated TFRs?". He didn't know. He just said, "The FAA had initially set the time span from August 13th to October 1st, 2020. I told the tech, "that's an initial window but it has since been deactivated and no longer on the FAA's list of TFRs."

If DJI can't be responsible to maintain the FlySafe functionality through updating it's database, it should disable it and allow pilots to take the responsibility. At a minimum, they could truly make it advisory and allow the pilots to decide whether they wish to fly.

Sectional for my area

DJI Support (DJI Support)

2020年9月3日 GMT+8 下午11:04

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

I'm getting back to you to let you know that I've just received an answer from our Flysafe Team in regards with your concern yesterday and what they told me is the GEO system is advisory only, and it is designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, not to match any particular set of regulations that apply to a certain user, and it has no specific update time. This might not be a good news for you but please keep checking and it should just be updated. For the meantime, please visit this link, DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and submit an Custom Unlocking request for the designated area.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via the following channels:

DJI Technical Support
Mon-Fri 09:00AM - 5:00PM (PST)
Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]

B4UFLY shows clear to fly with no active TFR
b4ufly.jpg

Are you certain the TFRs expired? B4UFly and Airmap aren't always forthcoming on TFRs.

Yes, I even called the FAA drone division and gave them the NOTAM numbers. They confirmed that the TFRs that had been active were no longer so. I have checked for the numbers on the FAA's TFR list and they do not appear as active.
0/1891 and 0/2198
Am I the only one that has experienced this issue with DJI not updating their database and clearing deactivated TFRs?

Last edited:
Yes, I even called the FAA drone division and gave them the NOTAM numbers. They confirmed that the TFRs that had been active were no longer so. I have checked for the numbers on the FAA's TFR list and they do not appear as active.
0/1891 and 0/2198
Am I the only one that has experienced this issue with DJI not updating their database and clearing deactivated TFRs?
No. I had the exact same problem with the Lightning fire up here in Northern California. Two days had passed since the FAA removed the TFR, yet my Mavic Pro would not allow me to take off on a nearby mountaintop where the TFR used to be. Very frustrating. I understand them wanted to not get sued. But they need to step up to the plate and remove the NFZ on the drone when the FAA removes the TFR!

I've been seriously thinking about trying this software that removes all of these lockouts: nolimitdronez.com

I guess the point here is that if DJI are not keeping their data up to date real time then they should not be implementing it in the first instance. If we are using a 3rd party to verify safe / unrestricted flight zones then why have DJI Geo-fencing and why if it is "Advisory ONLY" does it restrict flight operations. The clear answer to this is that DJI want to be acknowledged as the pseudo standard for drones by governments so they can increase their market share by having regulations drafted to make the technologies they have already developed and implemented a requirement. This then forces their competitors to bring their products in line with DJI which takes time to develop and makes them slower to market. It's all about the money and always will be. I have the opposite problem where I live (Taiwan). Here the FAA equivalent controls the airspace, but local authorities are also able to create adhoc no fly zones as, where and when they wish. This differs from the USA where I believe local authorities can only control where you take off and land but have no authority over the actual airspace. The problem in Taiwan is that DJI only loads the Aviation Authorities restricted areas and not the ones dictated by the local authorities. What this leads to is that again I have to use a 3rd party app to be able to see ALL restricted flying zones because if I went solely by the DJI app I could find myself liable to a hefty fine. Poorly implemented technology is not an aid to safe flight, it is just a frustration. If DJI cannot keep their database up to date and real time then it should ONLY be advisory and should not restrict flight operations, just my 50 cents worth.

Even some of FAA's sites don't update early cancellations of TFRs. It occured during the last batch of fires in the west where FAA issues a TFR lasting over a month for fire battles, then cancelled it before it's expiration. Their TFR site didn't show it as cancelled.

DJI seems to add TFRs based on the original addition to the TFR database. They are added as authorization zones so one can always unlock the zone, and can notify DJI of the early cancellation by notifying them.

They're just pretecting them and us from ignorance or nievity. Even we who know the rules can overlook an unexpected TFR. At least it says in the map why it was made as a blue Authorization zone.

They are added as authorization zones so one can always unlock the zone, and can notify DJI of the early cancellation by notifying them.
I had other pilots asking me how I was able to fly when they couldn't unlock their drones. I told them that I needed to do it on my computer before I left home and then apply the unlock in the field each time I restarted the aircraft. Its such a pain and if you didn't have internet connection where you flew could you even unlock at all? It might be a long wasted trip if you were unprepared.

I have provided lots of evidence to DJI to show them that the TFRs had been canceled. It makes no difference. They still have the zones locked weeks after restrictions were lifted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3