DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Go 4 App closes every 20 seconds

Raydee

Reactions
Today was a bad day at the flying field I was at taking pics and vids of a funfly event. Needless to say I didn't get much flying it because every time I tried to take a pic or record video the Dji Go4 app crashed on my Smart Controller. I tried reloading the firmware today and within 30 seconds the app crashed again. I have heard that you can clear the Cache but I am wondering if I will lose anything doing that? Maybe I have a setting that is off or on causing this but I am completely lost.

Attachments

• go4 app crash.jpg
    go4 app crash.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Gindra
I would recommend only keep 2Gb of cache on the device. It only has around 11gb of ram and necessary stuff takes about 4.5Gb.

Cache is low res video. Pull it off then see if DJIGO4 still closes down.

You should also check and see how much ram you have available currently.

Paul C

Paul is there a setting for how much cashe to keep? Where do I find all this info in the SC?

From main screen on DJIGO4 hit the three white dots upper right corner. This will open a settings screen.
About 1/2 way down the screen there is a entry for video cache. If you have it toggled to "on", the toggle is green and you have right below that a entry where you can set the limit for cache and clear cache.

On the main settings tab of the SC, where you can set time, wifi etc. you can see how much ram is available currently. If you are shutting down constantly it really sounds like a processing problem due to lack of ram.

But if you have plenty of ram available, the app is constantly stopping/crashing might need to to a total firmware reset of the SC. Using the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic. Read up on this process as it will take a few steps.

The only other reason I can think of is heat? I am flying a lot in Arkansas in 105 heat index and 100% humidity, and finding that my SC screen is getting quite warm to the touch, upper half. Fan is running.

Paul C

Reactions: RogerMav
Paul thanks for the info, it def wasn't heat because it was only 72 degees this morning when I was flying it. I will def check the ram and see where its at. I did reload the firmware today, is that the same as what you are talking about?

I believe on the SC, the firmware update process also updates the DJIGO4 app, but I might have this wrong. I do remember reading on the last big firmware update DJI was making a point of using the Assistant 2 for Mavic software from a PC or Mac since the update was large, however some folks reported that they were able to get the update done over a wifi connection.

If it keeps up, you will need to consider sending it back to DJI.

When you received the message about the crash, how did you just power cycle the SC? One big disadvantage to the SC is single point of failure, where as the separate controller allows you to at least get basic info as to where the drone is (distance and GPS) and connection while you reboot the iPhone or Android phone or tablet.

If you get this again, you might consider uploading a flight record from the drone from a flight where a crash occurred, it may shed light on what is going on.

Paul C

I just clicked on the close app now and then touched the fly now button again and in about 5 seconds the screen comes back on.

Thanks, good to know you don't have to power off the SC, thus connect stays in place.

Paul C

Let me know what your solution is, my Smart Controller disconnected about 3 times in 20 minutes of flying on Sunday but it reconnected when I restarted the app, I wasn't sure why but all my settings are as delivered and the software is up-to-date. I am not near any interference when I flew, I was out on some farm land not near any electronics. I am flying again this coming weekend and I will use my Osmo Action to record my smart controller when I fly.

Last edited:
My smart controller has been doing the exact same thing. I thought maybe it was my DJI goggles that was causing it to crash but then I realize that wasn’t it so I thought it was heat and then I realize that wasn’t either. I’m so glad I found A thread of you guys talking about this. When I get a chance all will turn the catch down because I had it up to 16 GB and then clear the catch to if that works. Thanks

Thanks, good to know you don't have to power off the SC, thus connect stays in place.

Paul C
Well I got home today and cleared the Video Cache, it was at 1590mb. I also tuned the limit down to 2gb and did some static tests without flying the Mavic and so far so good. I did 4 or 5 video recordings and not a single crash so far. Wednesday I will get out to the field and see what happens. I am thinking about completely disabling any video cache but wonder if it would come in useful at times?

I leave mine off. The files are low resolution but you can create quick videos via DJIGO4.

Paul C

Reactions: PAW
What about doing panoramic's and stuff like that. If I turn off the video cache will that be a problem? Besides some video editing on the remote what is the point of saving the low res video in the SC anyway?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS