DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles and Cataracts

BerndM

Reactions
I have had cataracts removed from both my eyes and as a result I no longer have any focus ability. I wear progressive lens glasses that are basically clear on the top half and then transition to reading glasses on the bottom half.
Has anyone figured out how to get the DJI goggles to work with such a situation?
I went to the local DJI store last week to try out the goggles and I was dumbfounded by the news that the designers at DJI would have omitted something as critical as individual focus adjustment capability.
Talk about an oversight.
:(

Can you get a cheap set of reader glasses for this?

Not entirely how you would consider it critical omission. Most tech focus first on most use case scenario. I don't think DJI designer would've consider how many of their users might fit this scenario.
At least the DJI googles allow you to wear prescription glasses while using it.

You find the correct strength that makes the screen clear . That’s why they make them

Is that not why eye glasses are made . To make things clear where bad eyes can’t . ??

I understand that BUT it would be an expensive experiment to buy the goggles, then buy various inserts to find the right ones hoping to find the right combination that works with my eyes. If such a solution is not possible, I am out about $500.
This entire scenario would be moot if DJI had simply included a focus option so that their goggles were usable by everyone without having to Mickey Mouse around with add-ons.
DJI went to the effort to make the interpupilary distance adjustable, so why not go the extra bit to allow focusing?
A goodly percentage of DJI quad owners are either getting close to or already (like me) at the point of having had cataract surgery. It is an almost inevitable condition of aging.
Now that their standard white goggles have been discontinued, I can only hope the next generation will fix this issue.
:)

Last edited:
I understand that BUT it would be an expensive experiment to buy the goggles, then buy various inserts to find the right ones hoping to find the right combination that works with my eyes. If such a solution is not possible, I am out about $500.
This entire scenario would be moot if DJI had simply included a focus option so that their goggles were usable by everyone without having to Mickey Mouse around with add-ons.
DJI went to the effort to make the interpupilary distance adjustable, so why not go the extra bit to allow focusing?
A goodly percentage of DJI quad owners are either getting close to or already (like me) at the point of having had cataract surgery. It is an almost inevitable condition of aging.
Now that their standard white goggles have been discontinued, I can only hope the next generation will fix this issue.
:)

Hi BerndM,

I'm the designer of Focus-Fixers. What I would suggest is to simply take the goggles to the store and try on different "reader" glasses to see if any of them clear up the goggles for you. If they do then Focus-Fixers will work for you. Simply select (Focus-Fixers) the closest diopter value (equal to or greater than) to the clearest readers. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

WARNING:
If you search google for Focus-Fixers you will get ads from overseas companies impersonating them. The real and original Focus-Fixers are at www.focus-fixers.com .

Chris
[email protected]

Reactions: SteelFlyer
Might I suggest you do as Chris suggested. I just ordered a pair from him. If you buy goggles from Amazon, you have 30 days to send it back if you don't like it, so you're not out anything. I took my goggles to Walmart and put them on like a dufus and tried different prescription readers till I could see clearly. I wear 1.5 reading glasses, but because the screens are so close to your eyes I had to get 3.5 reading glasses, and I ordered 4x from Chris. The goggles with head tracking are amazing, and you will see SOOO much more than looking at a paltry phone/tablet screen. If fact, if you buy the goggles and don't like them, I will gladly buy you a cup of coffee the next time you are in Cincinnati !

One thing to note, if you buy goggles, get the newer version with the slightly darker top piece. The original older goggles had a lighter top. You can usually spot the difference in the pics, but the ones from amazon should be new versions. Probably not an issue, but the older ones are sure to have an older battery pack, and they don't last forever.

Regards,

Kevin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke