DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles or Smart Controller.. What route would owners take now?

Reactions
Ive been mulling over deciding between the smart controller or the goggles (not a fan of using litchi and a hacked headset, burrowed through the side of my Samsung gear vr with a Dremel just to try it). The head tracking was cool but would like to have something actually made for them I mean I dont think brands like fat shark or whatever bring extras to the table do they?
Now I sold my MPP and bought a MP2 so was using the rest to get one or the other. I hate setting up sunshields and controller mounts so the brightest screen out there is tempting but I heard there was issues with mapping I use DroneDeploy and Pix4D for my work so Im not sure if that's an issue still. So the the owners any advice to sway my decision, not into the racing aspect or or race drones so the new FPV from DJI look cool even though its, like the sand people from star wars but I believe that's pretty much the focus of that set.
I mainly do aerial real estate work so being able to better see my camera options and framing without hiding in the shade or spinning circles trying to get a view is a PLUS. Are the goggles a good alternative, Ill have a spotter but how is it trying to get to your ISO and other camera features with those things on? I dont want to degress my skillset and use auto on my shots.. LOL. I hop a lot to panos and AEB\Hyperlapse so is that an issue too?

Just wanted some seasoned advice.. 3-450 doesn't sound like a whole lot of dough but Id rather get the best and not waste time or moola. Thanks guys.

Racing edition is just a better with broadcasting back at 1080 correct over the white version, any other perks besides looking cool as heck in black.?

Reactions: Bill combs
Smart controller isn't worth it IMO, you can't load a lot of 3rd party apps that work with DJI products on a phone/tablet. Go with the Goggles, I have and use them on every flight. They disassemble easy enough and I can fit my UAS, 4 batteries, remote, and goggles all in a small backpack; you wouldn't know what I was packing. Once you get very comfortable with the goggles you get to a point where you don't even use the phone; you can fly the UAS w/out any phone screen needed. Bonus to the goggles, I typically load djigo/litchi and do a quick flight check, launch, and then disconnect the cable between the phone/RC. I've noticed my RC battery lasts almost twice as long (20-25% loss per AC battery w/phone plugged in vs 10-12% loss per AC battery w/phone unplugged) since it's not charging the phone. If something weird happens, just plug it back in quickly for any needed corrections.

That HUGE amount of screen you're putting up to your eyes when using the goggles just can't be matched, you really notice and see more when you use them. I wish they were smaller but when the battery/screen are taken a part it fits in almost any space.

I am usually flying only with the goggles. They give a so much better feeling and awareness compare to any handheld device. But if it's not a matter of cost I would also get the smart controller as you don't have the trouble with an extra smart phone which has to be put into the radio clamps, ensured that the USB connector goes in right, ensuring DJI GO4 will start correctlyx and so on. You will be more quickly in air then.

Reactions: Bill combs
Ive been mulling over deciding between the smart controller or the goggles (not a fan of using litchi and a hacked headset, burrowed through the side of my Samsung gear vr with a Dremel just to try it). The head tracking was cool but would like to have something actually made for them I mean I dont think brands like fat shark or whatever bring extras to the table do they?
Now I sold my MPP and bought a MP2 so was using the rest to get one or the other. I hate setting up sunshields and controller mounts so the brightest screen out there is tempting but I heard there was issues with mapping I use DroneDeploy and Pix4D for my work so Im not sure if that's an issue still. So the the owners any advice to sway my decision, not into the racing aspect or or race drones so the new FPV from DJI look cool even though its, like the sand people from star wars but I believe that's pretty much the focus of that set.
I mainly do aerial real estate work so being able to better see my camera options and framing without hiding in the shade or spinning circles trying to get a view is a PLUS. Are the goggles a good alternative, Ill have a spotter but how is it trying to get to your ISO and other camera features with those things on? I dont want to degress my skillset and use auto on my shots.. LOL. I hop a lot to panos and AEB\Hyperlapse so is that an issue too?

Just wanted some seasoned advice.. 3-450 doesn't sound like a whole lot of dough but Id rather get the best and not waste time or moola. Thanks guys.

Racing edition is just a better with broadcasting back at 1080 correct over the white version, any other perks besides looking cool as heck in black.?
you might want to look at the epson moverio glasses

Reactions: Thomas B
Something RE: use of goggles. Technically, when using them, you are not keeping your drone in visual sight w/the naked eye, a FAA requirement. Is there some exception for their use?

Reactions: awsan5
1. Using goggles requires that you have a VO next to you. With the increase in Ramp Checks, you don't want to get caught by the FAA using goggles without a VO.

2. If your using it to shoot real estate, unless its a large property, you should be able to do it without 3rd party apps. Then a SC would work fine. If you need better visibility, a Feelworld FW279 Monitor above your SC works great, it is 2200 nits (brighter than the Ultra Bright CrystalSky) and much cheaper. Works great. The SC is quick and easy to get up an in the air in less than a minute, (unless you do your required pre-flights).

1570115033541.jpeg

you might want to look at the epson moverio glasses

i would personally not recommend the epson moverio glasses, based upon my experience with them.

the concept is great...but in actual application, they are tedious to implement before each flight, the interface is extremely awkward and imprecise, and the display is disappointing, at best.

i’m using the smart controller and am completely satisfied. no fuss, no muss setting it up, the display is sharp and detailed even in full sunlight, and it simply works well. if you have a driving need for FPV, however, i’d opt for goggles.

Reactions: awsan5
I my self own the white goggles and the smart controller love them both I been 4.5 miles with both and had no prob with single drop if I had to choose one I'd go with the goggles I love to FPV it's a hole different point of view and on the other had the smart controller is awsome to so I don't have to lug around a tablet or use my phone nore a tablet holder so there's the plus for the smart controller it's all on your perspective and what u like but me goggles .HAPPY FLYING

Smart controller isn't worth it IMO, you can't load a lot of 3rd party apps that work with DJI products on a phone/tablet. Go with the Goggles, I have and use them on every flight. They disassemble easy enough and I can fit my UAS, 4 batteries, remote, and goggles all in a small backpack; you wouldn't know what I was packing. Once you get very comfortable with the goggles you get to a point where you don't even use the phone; you can fly the UAS w/out any phone screen needed. Bonus to the goggles, I typically load djigo/litchi and do a quick flight check, launch, and then disconnect the cable between the phone/RC. I've noticed my RC battery lasts almost twice as long (20-25% loss per AC battery w/phone plugged in vs 10-12% loss per AC battery w/phone unplugged) since it's not charging the phone. If something weird happens, just plug it back in quickly for any needed corrections.

That HUGE amount of screen you're putting up to your eyes when using the goggles just can't be matched, you really notice and see more when you use them. I wish they were smaller but when the battery/screen are taken a part it fits in almost any space.
Pretty interesting. Good input ...

1. Using goggles requires that you have a VO next to you. With the increase in Ramp Checks, you don't want to get caught by the FAA using goggles without a VO.

2. If your using it to shoot real estate, unless its a large property, you should be able to do it without 3rd party apps. Then a SC would work fine. If you need better visibility, a Feelworld FW279 Monitor above your SC works great, it is 2200 nits (brighter than the Ultra Bright CrystalSky) and much cheaper. Works great. The SC is quick and easy to get up an in the air in less than a minute, (unless you do your required pre-flights).

View attachment 82867
I agree. With the quick-release adapter, the FW tablet just takes moments to attach/remove. No need to remove the mount as the SC stores in my bag without needing removal. Flew 6 batteries last weekend and found the balance and weight to be of little concern. Nice to have a super bright monitor that shows only the camera view without the flight information intruding. Very happy with this setup.
20190921_103549.jpg 20190921_101506.jpg

I agree. With the quick-release adapter, the FW tablet just takes moments to attach/remove. No need to remove the mount as the SC stores in my bag without needing removal. Flew 6 batteries last weekend and found the balance and weight to be of little concern. Nice to have a super bright monitor that shows only the camera view without the flight information intruding. Very happy with this setup.
View attachment 82965 View attachment 82966
Thx for the pics. Too bad those darn mounts are always out of stock...

someone, please let me where to get those?

They seem to be outve stock often, but not right now it seems... Better hurry though, it is christmas time.

I have both the Smart Controller and the DJI RE goggles. IMHO, if you have to choose one or the other...choose the RE goggles every time. Taking maximum advantage of Occusync 2 makes for an outstanding flight experience, much more so that the slightly larger and slightly brighter screen on the SC. I also use the goggles with race quads on 5.8 analog.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez