DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Lens Swap Service?

Haven't seen any more news about it...

DJI would want to offer a credit to go from the pro to the zoom, the actual job takes less than 10 minutes.

EDIT: If you're not worried too much about warranty issues, and can source the other gimbal assembly from somewhere, you can have both.

The drone automatically detects which camera is installed, and offers either aperture or zoom control in the Go app.

Last edited:
Im curious to know how many M2 owners who want to do a swap want to hold on to their old gimbal? If it's a tradeup program by DJI, they will give you 30% of what the gimbal is worth anywhere else.

Haven't seen any more news about it...

DJI would want to offer a credit to go from the pro to the zoom, the actual job takes less than 10 minutes.

EDIT: If you're not worried too much about warranty issues, and can source the other gimbal assembly from somewhere, you can have both.

The drone automatically detects which camera is installed, and offers either aperture or zoom control in the Go app.

Sounds good in theory. However, if an owner breaks that connector (easy to break), or tears that delicate ribbon, the gimbal is trash. Parts are not currently available.

Sounds good in theory. However, if an owner breaks that connector (easy to break), or tears that delicate ribbon, the gimbal is trash. Parts are not currently available.
Technically not covered by warranty right? Then it is not worth it.

Technically not covered by warranty right? Then it is not worth it.

Probably not. Thats why DJI is offering the service, or is supposed to be offering the service, so that owners dont break anything in the swap.

My Youtube story... I watched a Youtube video of a guy sanding, and finishing his deck in 2 hours. Wow, I can do that! 2 months later, and countless man hours, and it was still not done. Finally got it finished, but now when I tell my wife I can do something because I saw it on Youtube, she just points outside or just says "deck" and I focus my energies on a different project.

One mans truth is another mans folly. Had to learn that one the hard way.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
My understanding with the gimbal swap service is you get your old one back regardless of whatever it was. So in theory you can get them to swap it out and then swap them yourself once you got both gimbals. Unsure what DJI will charge but no doubt they will charge like a wounded bull. Vaseline is extra.

It would have to at least the difference in cost between M2P & M2Z, plus more for the cost of the shared components in the two gimbal assemblies (assuming you get the old one back). Plus more for DJI's repair rates. If it's done as a 'trade in' though it should be much cheaper.

Would presumably be cheaper again to go the other way though (Pro to Zoom). They were so very close to a non - warranty voiding, consumer friendly gimbal swap with this bird, whether they stopped short due to management wishes or technical limitations is anyone's guess.

The only real "gotchas" are, like Thunderdrones said, the fragile SMD plug / ribbon cable, and the rear plastic cover. It's still much less risky to do than a phantom gimbal though, on those you have to pry the gimbal away. If it falls away from the aircraft you risk damaging the 3in1 board...

This whole Mavic 2 "gimbal swap" thing is an afterthought on DJIs part. They could have made it so easy for owners by designing the gimbal as a bayonet style mount, like on the Inspire, which has been around for years, so they already have the technology. On Inspires, you can change the gimbal in less than a minute without voiding your warranty.

Another thing that DJI missed the boat on for the Mavic 2 was the Karma type of removable gimbal that fits on a stick (in this case, the Osmo). The Osmo has been around for years, and is as solid as any of DJIs drones. However, it's only compatible with the Inspire gimbal in terms of being interchangeable. Most aerial real estate photographers would kill for a stable land mount for interior stills and videography using the M2's Hasselblad gimbal, but for $1449, you dont get that. You can always buy a hand mount for the M2, but thats not as portable.

Guess we have to wait for the Mavic 3 in 2020 or whenever DJI releases it. Maybe it will have a truly interchangeable gimbal.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inou