DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic 3 vs Air 2S Video Quality

vicvideopic

Reactions
A comparison of the two models in terms of video quality in different light conditions and different color modes.
I also show all the different extra features offered by the new drone

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Quite the rave review. I'm vacillating back and forth on the 3. His discussion of the 3's d-log option is very intriguing. The dynamic range on the scene's with sun present are quite impressive.

A comparison of the two models in terms of video quality in different light conditions and different color modes.
I also show all the different extra features offered by the new drone
My dear friend Vittorio:

Every time I see Mt. Etna I am reminded of my glorious time spent there.

As usual, another excellent video. But what else what anyone ever expect of you?

I do have a question. Watching this video was very frustrating to me because my dilemma was not addressed. I am in the deciding stage of exchanging my Mavic 2 Pro for the M3. Money is not a question. I shoot scenery in DLOG H.265 and process with Premiere Pro. I have even purchased the Film Poet package of LUTs (and I find them helpful). Of course I have a nice set of ND filters for the M 2 P. I do occasionally use the intelligent flight modes and really enjoy them!

So now I am facing the dilemma of buying the Mavic 3 and selling the Mavic 2 Pro. I would be doing this because of the better colors, High Dynamic Range, the variable aperture (which I love in my M2P), and hyperlapse mode, which is a total failure for me in the M2P. My first love is timelapse and hyperlapse, followed by regular DSLR photography with my two Nikon D750's and timelapses. So my third leg for productions has become the drone. I am considering the M3 with the Fly More kit ( I certainly do not need the case but want the filters and the batteries). I'd rather not buy another set of ND filters if the DJI ND filters are not good.

What should I do?

For anyone else watching this on the forum I would welcome your thoughts on this dilemma.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: SmilingOgre
My dear friend Vittorio:

Every time I see Mt. Etna I am reminded of my glorious time spent there.

As usual, another excellent video. But what else what anyone ever expect of you?

I do have a question. Watching this video was very frustrating to me because my dilemma was not addressed. I am in the deciding stage of exchanging my Mavic 2 Pro for the M3. Money is not a question. I shoot scenery in DLOG H.265 and process with Premiere Pro. I have even purchased the Film Poet package of LUTs (and I find them helpful). Of course I have a nice set of ND filters for the M 2 P. I do occasionally use the intelligent flight modes and really enjoy them!

So now I am facing the dilemma of buying the Mavic 3 and selling the Mavic 2 Pro. I would be doing this because of the better colors, High Dynamic Range, the variable aperture (which I love in my M2P), and hyperlapse mode, which is a total failure for me in the M2P. My first love is timelapse and hyperlapse, followed by regular DSLR photography with my two Nikon D750's and timelapses. So my third leg for productions has become the drone. I am considering the M3 with the Fly More kit ( I certainly do not need the case but want the filters and the batteries). I'd rather not buy another set of ND filters if the DJI ND filters are not good.

What should I do?

For anyone else watching this on the forum I would welcome your thoughts on this dilemma.

Dale
Miami
I'm right there with you Dale. I've got a little longer to sit and ponder being below freezing in Michigan for awhile.

I am also trying to decide between the M3 and the A2S but in my case I do use my drones in sub zero (Celsius) weather frequently. I am also interested in low light and timelapse/hyperlapse so that is a consideration as well.

My drones are kind of an extension of my interests with my DSLRs (mainly a D750 that I use with my Nikon 14-24, 200-500, or 28-300 for astrophotography, landscape or nature photography) so for me this drone purchase would be a big upgrade from what I currently have.

If I had a M2P I probably would not be as motivated to upgrade at this time.

Chris

Last edited:
I am also trying to decide between the M3 and the A2S but in my case I do use my drones in sub zero (Celsius) weather frequently. I am also interested in low light and timelapse/hyperlapse so that is a consideration as well.

My drones are kind of an extension of my interests with my DSLRs (mainly a D750 that I use with my Nikon 14-24, 200-500, or 18-300 for astrophotography, landscape or nature photography) so for me this drone purchase would be a big upgrade from what I currently have.

If I had a M2P I probably would not be as motivated to upgrade at this time.

Chris
I can say this much. I have an Air 2 and an M2P and while the air 2 gets good clean video, anytime I'm doing anything I'm serious about I launch the M2P. I like the images I can produce better. It has to do with color and dynamic range control. Having said that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe someday I'll find some files I can download right off the M3 and play with them in Resolve. I think that would be the acid test for me.

I'm right there with you Dale. I've got a little longer to sit and ponder being below freezing in Michigan for awhile.
Ogre- I don't have weather as an excuse for not acting. I could walk outside right now and fly in the 60-70 degree temps we have been enjoying in our glorious winter. The benefits of the M3 frankly do not overwhelm me compared to my trusty M2P. Aside from the better colors, better sensors for details in the shadows and increased dynamic range, and the variable aperture (which I already enjoy with the M2P), what are the other benefits? And I am losing some of the intelligent flight modes and way point benefits I already have. I still need some convincing.

I am looking at each and every M3 submission on the forum, searching for the reasons to spend 3 grand, try to sell an M2P, go through a new learning curve, buy new ND filters and iPad holder and maybe ND filters,....for what? I need answers!!!

Dale

Ogre- I don't have weather as an excuse for not acting. I could walk outside right now and fly in the 60-70 degree temps we have been enjoying in our glorious winter. The benefits of the M3 frankly do not overwhelm me compared to my trusty M2P. Aside from the better colors, better sensors for details in the shadows and increased dynamic range, and the variable aperture (which I already enjoy with the M2P), what are the other benefits? And I am losing some of the intelligent flight modes and way point benefits I already have. I still need some convincing.

I am looking at each and every M3 submission on the forum, searching for the reasons to spend 3 grand, try to sell an M2P, go through a new learning curve, buy new ND filters and iPad holder and maybe ND filters,....for what? I need answers!!!

Dale
lol, again right there with you. Maybe over coming months there will be more modes added, who knows. I agree with you, my MP2 has never let me down and never disappointed with the exception of some exposures where I could not get sky and shadows in the exposure. If I do get the MP3, I will keep the MP2 as a viable back-up and give the Air 2 to my son-in-law. If I do make the purchase it will be the bird plus one battery and a charging hub. I feel that two batteries will be fine for my needs. That at least brings the tag down to 2,500. I haven't invested into nd filters yet although it's on the list. That will be on hold now until I make a final decision on the m3. I guess the draw for me is what the 4/3 sensor does in my BMCC 4k. Obviously that doesn't mean that the M3 will ever be able to perform like that camera, but the potential intrigues me. I have a lot of respect for that size of sensor. But until I can prove to myself that the M3 is a major upgrade in image quality I'll stay pat. 3G would also get me a new zero turn and I'm limping and old zero turn that could croak at any time. Decisions, decisions.

lol, again right there with you. Maybe over coming months there will be more modes added, who knows. I agree with you, my MP2 has never let me down and never disappointed with the exception of some exposures where I could not get sky and shadows in the exposure. If I do get the MP3, I will keep the MP2 as a viable back-up and give the Air 2 to my son-in-law. If I do make the purchase it will be the bird plus one battery and a charging hub. I feel that two batteries will be fine for my needs. That at least brings the tag down to 2,500. I haven't invested into nd filters yet although it's on the list. That will be on hold now until I make a final decision on the m3. I guess the draw for me is what the 4/3 sensor does in my BMCC 4k. Obviously that doesn't mean that the M3 will ever be able to perform like that camera, but the potential intrigues me. I have a lot of respect for that size of sensor. But until I can prove to myself that the M3 is a major upgrade in image quality I'll stay pat. 3G would also get me a new zero turn and I'm limping and old zero turn that could croak at any time. Decisions, decisions.
I was following you well until the last two comments. What is your "BMCC 4k? What is a new zero turn?

I think I could get by with two batteries. I rarely use my 3rd battery. Rather, I tend to use each battery about 40-50% because I am am ****/compulsive worry wart and start a new flight with a new battery so I can be assured I will get my drone back. Even then, I rarely get to use the 3rd battery. I don't feel that that case is worth $300 in the fly more kit. I'd like to buy the drone and battery, then buy one more battery. How much would that be? (Oh, did I mention, money is not a problem?). Kind of two faced here I guess. Sometimes, I will use the first battery to set up the shot, like for the settings. That way, I don't waste valuable battery time during the actual shoot, especially with a time lapse.

I was following you well until the last two comments. What is your "BMCC 4k? What is a new zero turn?

I think I could get by with two batteries. I rarely use my 3rd battery. Rather, I tend to use each battery about 40-50% because I am am ****/compulsive worry wart and start a new flight with a new battery so I can be assured I will get my drone back. Even then, I rarely get to use the 3rd battery. I don't feel that that case is worth $300 in the fly more kit. I'd like to buy the drone and battery, then buy one more battery. How much would that be? (Oh, did I mention, money is not a problem?). Kind of two faced here I guess. Sometimes, I will use the first battery to set up the shot, like for the settings. That way, I don't waste valuable battery time during the actual shoot, especially with a time lapse.
OooPs, sorry. A BMPCC 4k is a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Impressive unit. The zero turn is a lawn mower, lol. It's how my head works. A Cub Cadet Z1 Zero turn falls right in the 3K range. I think one battery for the M3 is just over $200, so you would be talking about 2.4K. I get the money no issue part. I have to equate it to something else of the same cost to wrap my head around it. Otherwise it's just a number.

I wouldn’t buy a M3 for the improvements in photo/video quality. I shoot BRAW with my BMD cameras and H.265 with my M2P, but I’d need very specific reasons for buying an M3 Cine primarily for the ProRes format. My issues with the M2P are that it’s sort of a clumsy flier without the updated flight modes and the lack of side sensors, which have resulted in a few crashes for me. From the comparison videos I’ve seen, the video straight off the MA2S looks nearly as good or better than graded H.265 from the M2P. I bought the MA2 as a backup before the S was released, but the lack of aperture control is a deal breaker for an aerial videographer and the video quality on the MA2 is decent, but doesn’t grade well.
The things you gotta ask yourself… is what you’re shooting on a regular basis worthy of the upgrade? Are you getting everything out of your current drone or do you feel its limiting progression of your flying/filming skills? That said, if you’re a professional or money is not an issue, the M3 is cheap by any measure. The same $$ doesn’t buy you jack sh# in the pro video universe. Personally, the M3 has so many improvements, any one or two features (battery life, side sensors) would be enough.
One last thing… Dale, you should definitely buy the M3, which you know you’re gonna do eventually anyway. Don’t torture yourself… next big trip, pull that trigger!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy a M3 for the improvements in photo/video quality. I shoot BRAW with my BMD cameras and H.265 with my M2P, but I’d need very specific reasons for buying an M3 Cine primarily for the ProRes format. My issues with the M2P are that it’s sort of a clumsy flier without the updated flight modes and the lack of side sensors, which have resulted in a few crashes for me. From the comparison videos I’ve seen, the video straight off the MA2S looks as good or better than graded H.265 from the M2P.
The things you gotta ask yourself… is what you’re shooting on a regular basis worthy of the upgrade? Are you getting everything out of your current drone or do you feel its limiting progression of your flying/filming skills? That said, if you’re a professional or money is not an issue, the M3 is cheap by any measure. The same $$ doesn’t buy you jack sh# in the pro video universe.
One last thing… Dale, you should definitely buy the M3, which you know you’re gonna do eventually anyway. Don’t torture yourself… next big trip, pull that trigger!
I've cut the cine version of the M3 from my list. I don't work in a video factory and prores doesn't buy me anything. and so goes the onboard ssd as well. I'm not confined to prores optimized tools or production timelines. I don't own final cut. Still on the fence about the M3 non cine.

Maybe someday I'll find some files I can download right off the M3 and play with them in Resolve. I think that would be the acid test for me.
I thinking along the same lines. I wish I could get an original (ungraded) clip shot with the M3 at 5.1K in D-log and one in ProRes 422 HQ. That would be my acid test too. I might even go for the Cine version.

I thinking along the same lines. I wish I could get an original (ungraded) clip shot with the M3 at 5.1K in D-log and one in ProRes 422 HQ. That would be my acid test too. I might even go for the Cine version.
I totally agree. I don't and obviously can't know this without a comparison but I doubt there is a big difference between the D-log h.265 and the prores. I think the prores is more desirable or maybe necessary if you work in a video factory and are tooled for prores.

I totally agree. I don't and obviously can't know this without a comparison but I doubt there is a big difference between the D-log h.265 and the prores. I think the prores is more desirable or maybe necessary if you work in a video factory and are tooled for prores.
I don't use Final Cut so I can't produce ProRes deliverables but with Davinci Resolve Studio, I can certainly input/edit/grade the footage. For me, the only usable output is what I can play on my LG OLED TV. I process all 10-bit source in the HDR workflow. Results are great. I took Billy Kyle's 5.1K PRORES footage an played with it. The results are very nice. However, there are a number of hurdles for me to overcome before I buy it and frankly I probably would buy the Cine version. My main hurdles are: 1) M3 is not yet a finished product. Much has to be done on the firmware level. 2) DJI created a really good and "finished" drone when they released the Air2s. THAT makes it very hard indeed! I sure do like the Air2s size/weight in comparison. Finally, I very much like the 5.4K/30 either HLG or DLog video performance on the Air2s allowing a lot of post production freedom when produced into 4K (UHD). DJI made a big mistake releasing the Air2s as simply too good a drone before releasing a half finished M3.

I don't use Final Cut so I can't produce ProRes deliverables but with Davinci Resolve Studio, I can certainly input/edit/grade the footage. For me, the only usable output is what I can play on my LG OLED TV. I process all 10-bit source in the HDR workflow. Results are great. I took Billy Kyle's 5.1K PRORES footage an played with it. The results are very nice. However, there are a number of hurdles for me to overcome before I buy it and frankly I probably would buy the Cine version. My main hurdles are: 1) M3 is not yet a finished product. Much has to be done on the firmware level. 2) DJI created a really good and "finished" drone when they released the Air2s. THAT makes it very hard indeed! I sure do like the Air2s size/weight in comparison. Finally, I very much like the 5.4K/30 either HLG or DLog video performance on the Air2s allowing a lot of post production freedom when produced into 4K (UHD). DJI made a big mistake releasing the Air2s as simply too good a drone before releasing a half finished M3.
They should have just released a totally finished, awesome M3...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc