DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro vs. Mavic 3 Pro photo image quality comparison. (not video)

Reactions
Site
www.wilsonphotography.com
I currently use a Mavic 2 Pro 90% of the time for still photography professionally. Can anyone give me their opinion on the photo quality of the Mavic 3 Pro vs. the Mavic 2 Pro for photographs only. I know about the longer flight time, telephoto lenses, etc. on 3 pro. I am looking for experiences and opinions regarding photo quality only (not video) in daylight and low light conditions. Thank you!

Reactions: CadrePilot
I currently use a Mavic 2 Pro 90% of the time for still photography professionally. Can anyone give me their opinion on the photo quality of the Mavic 3 Pro vs. the Mavic 2 Pro for photographs only. I know about the longer flight time, telephoto lenses, etc. on 3 pro. I am looking for experiences and opinions regarding photo quality only (not video) in daylight and low light conditions. Thank you!
@moderators or Administrators, Can you delete this or move it to the Mavic 3 Pro thread since that is what I am asking about. Thanks.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 3 (not Pro). The Mavic 3 is better, though incrementally. It's easier to work the raw files and get more out of them than the M2P. There's more detail but still even at low ISO in low light there's a good amount of noise. On both drone files, I usually run them through Topaz DeNoise anyhow. And even the M3 needs some contrast boost. My comments on the M3 are for the main camera, not the tele. I am pretty much a pixel peeper and typically over critical, even with my Canon bodies. I bought the M3 as a DJI factory refurb and consider it a reasonable deal and a decent upgrade over the M2P. It flies better too. Still keeping my M2P as backup and for more...shall we say...challenging...missions.

There's more detail but still even at low ISO in low light there's a good amount of noise. On both drone files, I usually run them through Topaz DeNoise anyhow. And even the M3 needs some contrast boost.
I definitely don't agree with the noise bit. If you are trying to pull out some extreme shadows, then sure, but I find the M3 (the 3 Pro, in my case) images to be very clean. It's a 20MP 4/3 sensor, so very well-configured for low noise. I've also never noticed that raw files need any more of a contrast boost than any other camera.

My point of reference is the Air2s. The M3 images aren't like, mind-blowingly better, but they are better and you can pull more out of the raw files before things get messy.

I definitely don't agree with the noise bit. If you are trying to pull out some extreme shadows, then sure, but I find the M3 (the 3 Pro, in my case) images to be very clean. It's a 20MP 4/3 sensor, so very well-configured for low noise. I've also never noticed that raw files need any more of a contrast boost than any other camera.

My point of reference is the Air2s. The M3 images aren't like, mind-blowingly better, but they are better and you can pull more out of the raw files before things get messy.
Yes, I am primarily referring to high dynamic range scenes where I intentionally underexpose to protect the highlights and pull the shadows. I often use AEB for that which helps.

Yes, I am primarily referring to high dynamic range scenes where I intentionally underexpose to protect the highlights and pull the shadows. I often use AEB for that which helps.
Thanks for your reply!

I almost always will shoot AEB and layer afterwards so as not to have to pull shadows up too much, but still find it necessary to some extent. I also end up using Denoise software at times, but would prefer not to.

Thanks you for this. Is there much of a sharpness difference from the Mavic 2 Pro to the 3 Pro?

I have the Mavic 2 Pro as I mentioned and images seem pretty sharp. I also have an Air 2s and the images at the edges are terrible and I find I have to usually shoot wider than I would like and crop them. 🙁

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
Thanks you for this. Is there much of a sharpness difference from the Mavic 2 Pro to the 3 Pro?

I have the Mavic 2 Pro as I mentioned and images seem pretty sharp. I also have an Air 2s and the images at the edges are terrible and I find I have to usually shoot wider than I would like and crop them. 🙁
I think the 3 is sharper, the details are better.

Reactions: Wilson Photography
This video is interesting, comparing the M2P to the M3C.

New drone has better battery but performs worse in some torture tests of resolution charts?

OTOH, video from M3C looks sharper after LUTs applied and zoomed in 400%.

Not a good endorsement to upgrade?

While I have no experience with M2P I can share my experience with M3P. I only shoot DNG and process in DxO PureRaw3, LR and PS.

The main 24mm camera
Good dynamic range, stopped down to f5.6 the photos are sharp with plenty of detail from edge to edge and corner to corner. Processed in DxO PureRaw I can confidently shoot up to ISO 1600 with good results

The 70mm camera
Surprizingly useful despite smallish sensor. The lens is sharp from corner to corner. The 12MP mode is my preferred one over 48MP. Not much benefit, CA artifacts more apparent even in central area of the frame. For landscape panoramas multiple shots can be easily stitched in post resulting in huge MP files allowing for printing large. The poster size photos can look really good.
Processed in DxOPureRaw I can confidently shoot up to ISO 800 with good results. Feel free to pixel peep in this example of 3 shots stitched together. Not much of a photo but hopefully good demo showing the detail and sharpness you can expect

The 166mm camera
Basically the same applies as to the 70mm
Processed in DxO PureRaw I can confidently shoot up to ISO 800 with good results

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne