DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dji mini 2 Class D warning

dazzer111

Reactions
I want to start off by first saying i am in the UK and i am new to drones and I got myself a mini 2 and I have been flying it in my local area for the last few weeks and noticed a class d warning , I didn't pay to much attention to it at first until i noticed my area has lots of planes in and i think its used as a flight path to the air port, well i decided to look online to find out more about this warning and it has something to do with an area around the local air port, My closest airport is john lennon airport and i have tried looking at the maps and i think i am outside the Circle by about a mile does that mean its ok to fly?

@dazzer111 there are not just circles around air ports any more the restrictions apply to the glide paths as well and these can change depending on which runways are being used ,and its also dependant on the height of aircraft as they approach or leave the airport along those glide paths

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hi dazer111, welcome to the forum, if you haven't already may I suggest an invaluable resource here in the UK regarding airspace for flying drones. It is the official NATS app called "Drone Assist UK". You can find it in the "Play Store" or alternatively in the "App Store" for IOS. Hope this helps.

Regards Chris.

Class D Airspace doesn't apply to your drone. It is for manned aviation. We have a huge one which pretty much covers London.

From NATS site (1st FAQ down the page):

Do I need air traffic control permission to fly my drone in class D airspace?

If your drone weighs less than 20 kilograms and you’re flying within visual line of sight outside restricted airspace (avoiding Flight Restriction Zones), you do not need permission or air traffic control authorisation.

Class D Airspace doesn't apply to your drone. It is for manned aviation. We have a huge one which pretty much covers London.

From NATS site (1st FAQ down the page):

Do I need air traffic control permission to fly my drone in class D airspace?

If your drone weighs less than 20 kilograms and you’re flying within visual line of sight outside restricted airspace (avoiding Flight Restriction Zones), you do not need permission or air traffic control authorisation.

Thanks for all the help regarding the laws it can be quite hard to know if your fully flying within the laws,
The dji mini weighs 248g , I have been looking at the site Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI that a fellow member posted above , I can confirm i am not in the Blue circle around the air port and i think i am about a mile or maybe 2 miles out from the blue circle area, but i am in the Altitude Zones when i click on this area a message comes up Max. Altitude (m): 150 , so dose this mean i can fly in this area but only as long as i don't exceed the 150 m ?

you can only fly to a max height of 400ft AGL or around 120m anyway so you would be safely under the 150m in the area you refer to unless you took off from the top of a very tall building them it would be possible for you to go higher than the 150m restriction

Reactions: SpitFire

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada