DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini DJI Mini 2 is a real beast nothing to do with its predecessor...

With the MM1 FMC being $100 less than the MM2 FMC, many would opt to get the MM1 as their first drone. Besides the highly sought after basics such as GPS/VPS stability, 3 axis gimbal, high quality video/photos stored on an on-board SD card (as opposed to video/photo only obtained by the app from FPV transmission), you have a travel size remote and travel case.

Reactions: AeroFlix 4D
With the MM1 FMC being $100 less than the MM2 FMC, many would opt to get the MM1 as their first drone. Besides the highly sought after basics such as GPS/VPS stability, 3 axis gimbal, high quality video/photos stored on an on-board SD card (as opposed to video/photo only obtained by the app from FPV transmission), you have a travel size remote and travel case.
It will be interesting to see what will happen on the market in the next few weeks.

The point being in the video of the 12th, post #4, you nearly lost the drone because of extreme distance 5km? (well outside VLOS) considerable height 250m? when the ceiling I can find is 90m, and in strong wind, then you land by a main road on its paved surface.
3days later you post a video which from your own text says ", I am flying over hills at high altitude while being very far from my position".
You're judging by US standards. I think you need to just back away from the judgement thang.
I found the vid entertaining - I would not have landed in a such an exposed location but that's me.

You're judging by US standards. I think you need to just back away from the judgement thang.
I found the vid entertaining - I would not have landed in a such an exposed location but that's me.
If this were to ever happen again, I would indeed try to land in a better place, that's the lesson I take from this incident. I would also reduce my altitude and I would switch to normal mode to save some battery.

Same for me, I was eyeing up that gravel walking path thinking that's where I'd put it down. Would be my luck some passing vehicle would spot it, and poof...gone.
I hesitated to land on this small gravel passage but I was afraid of damaging the engines and propellers with the projection of the gravel. I think I should have landed on the golf course.

I don't get you guys... do you really see that much of a difference?!?
I have seen such nonsense said over you tube and even here, that I didn't resist to point the similarities between the mini and the mini2...
- The camera is not better nor worse: it is ths same! Same sensor and same lens aperture, meaning the same raw result. Only difference is in the processor and minor software improvements. That leads to being able to unlock 4k (it's always been there) and digital zoom (everyone should know what digital zoom means...).
- speed and stability: as far as I can see, the propellers and the motors are the same. All there was, was a software tweak. You can do it to the original mini with apps like dronehacks, for example.
- battery: only time will tell. The major difference between lipo and lion is endurance (meaning more durability).
- ocusync: that is the only acknowledged improvement, mainly for those who never tried some good yagis and specially in highly polluted wifi areas (where most of the times you aren't allowed to fly anyway). As for the rest, I made plenty flights of more than 4km without losing signal, so it's not that great improvement.
Actually it is better, cause unlike the mini2 or even the air2, it doesn't have hardcoded walls...
- pretty led in the front... no comments

I think most people is so eager to buy more and buy new, that they didn't even bother to optimize what they have...
The original mini is already a little beast, mostly limited by software, which, little by little, has been improoving either by dji or 3rd part apps.
Those who still didn't go for this "chewing-gum, buy new, through the old" folks, hold on to your minis and check it properly before following into this "bling" stuff...
Don't mean to offend anyone, and sorry if I did, but I'm so tired of watching this dumb comments of people who have no idea what this is all about, that I didn't resist to "wake you up" and post my thoughts here.
Take care.

I don't get you guys... do you really see that much of a difference?!?
I have seen such nonsense said over you tube and even here, that I didn't resist to point the similarities between the mini and the mini2...
- The camera is not better nor worse: it is ths same! Same sensor and same lens aperture, meaning the same raw result. Only difference is in the processor and minor software improvements. That leads to being able to unlock 4k (it's always been there) and digital zoom (everyone should know what digital zoom means...).
- speed and stability: as far as I can see, the propellers and the motors are the same. All there was, was a software tweak. You can do it to the original mini with apps like dronehacks, for example.
- battery: only time will tell. The major difference between lipo and lion is endurance (meaning more durability).
- ocusync: that is the only acknowledged improvement, mainly for those who never tried some good yagis and specially in highly polluted wifi areas (where most of the times you aren't allowed to fly anyway). As for the rest, I made plenty flights of more than 4km without losing signal, so it's not that great improvement.
Actually it is better, cause unlike the mini2 or even the air2, it doesn't have hardcoded walls...
- pretty led in the front... no comments

I think most people is so eager to buy more and buy new, that they didn't even bother to optimize what they have...
The original mini is already a little beast, mostly limited by software, which, little by little, has been improoving either by dji or 3rd part apps.
Those who still didn't go for this "chewing-gum, buy new, through the old" folks, hold on to your minis and check it properly before following into this "bling" stuff...
Don't mean to offend anyone, and sorry if I did, but I'm so tired of watching this dumb comments of people who have no idea what this is all about, that I didn't resist to "wake you up" and post my thoughts here.
Take care.
Improving MM also comes at a cost in time and money. Personally, I prefer to fly than to do research to improve my drone. Not everyone likes to tinker with their drone, I prefer to pay more and have something original. As far as I am concerned, with the MM, in an environment with interference I hardly reached the 500 m distance while in an open environment without interference the limit was on average 1500 m. Whatever I do or wherever I am, there are incessant loss of connection, it is what tired me the most.

First huge improvement is the RC: the position of the cable, the phone at the top, the ease of installing your phone, the function button, the switch between the different flight modes, the ability to charge your phone in flight, the power of battery, ...

Second huge improvement is ocusync 2.0: no more loss of connection, I fly over hill tops one after the other while with the MM, being at the bottom of a hill, I could never fly over it.

Third huge improvement is wind resistance, top speed is 10km / h higher, which is huge for a small 249g drone. No more constant strong wind alerts.

These 3 improvements alone tell me that the Mini 2 has gone from being a toy to that of a real drone.

And last but not least is the future of the Mini 2, from reliable sources, in the coming weeks the Mini 2 will be compatible with the smart controller and it will have its own goggles.

Improving MM also comes at a cost in time and money. Personally, I prefer to fly than to do research to improve my drone. Not everyone likes to tinker with their drone, I prefer to pay more and have something original. As far as I am concerned, with the MM, in an environment with interference I hardly reached the 500 m distance while in an open environment without interference the limit was on average 1500 m. Whatever I do or wherever I am, there are incessant loss of connection, it is what tired me the most.

First huge improvement is the RC: the position of the cable, the phone at the top, the ease of installing your phone, the function button, the switch between the different flight modes, the ability to charge your phone in flight, the power of battery, ...

Second huge improvement is ocusync 2.0: no more loss of connection, I fly over hill tops one after the other while with the MM, being at the bottom of a hill, I could never fly over it.

Third huge improvement is wind resistance, top speed is 10km / h higher, which is huge for a small 249g drone. No more constant strong wind alerts.

These 3 improvements alone tell me that the Mini 2 has gone from being a toy to that of a real drone.

And last but not least is the future of the Mini 2, from reliable sources, in the coming weeks the Mini 2 will be compatible with the smart controller and it will have its own goggles.
Those improvements are not that big are they? You can use litchi and any set of goggles for a while now, with the mini1.
You say the range is limited unless you mess with the remote, but yagis are the most dumb proof thing to install... it's simply put over the antenna... not exactly rocket science, right?!? I just saw a fellow losing signal at little over 200mts from the HP... with a mini2! I acknowledge it may be better in certain situations, but it wont do any miracles... and if you really want to go that way, why not the air2? That is an improvement! It has more power, bigger camera and collision sensors...
The wind resistance is not that much more and if you simply optimize your drone with dronehacks, you'll get the same results. Ok it's not out of the box, but is it really worth 100-200eur plus???
I rather give 400eur and go for the bigger air2 if I was you. That easy!

You say those 3 improvements alone tell you that the Mini 2 has gone from being a toy to that of a real drone... are you sure you've had a mini1 in the 1st place?!? It may be a toy, but hell, what a toy! And I'm sure all that had it for a while will say that it beats many pro drones they had in the past...

These aren't real improvements... just blings...

By the way, the mini1 already charged the phone and most of us think it would be nice if it didn't have to charge it whenever you use it with the drone.
The dedicated rc may be compatible, but is not ideal at all for a small, light, traveling drone... again it's all bling, in my opinion.
I tell you all this, because, as many of you, I too would like to have a new and better drone and didn't want to spend the extra 400eur for the air 2 or even worse pay it all (I won't surrender my mini that easy), but selling a mini to buy a beetle is not what I'd call the best move...

Those improvements are not that big are they? You can use litchi and any set of goggles for a while now, with the mini1.
You say the range is limited unless you mess with the remote, but yagis are the most dumb proof thing to install... it's simply put over the antenna... not exactly rocket science, right?!? I just saw a fellow losing signal at little over 200mts from the HP... with a mini2! I acknowledge it may be better in certain situations, but it wont do any miracles... and if you really want to go that way, why not the air2? That is an improvement! It has more power, bigger camera and collision sensors...
The wind resistance is not that much more and if you simply optimize your drone with dronehacks, you'll get the same results. Ok it's not out of the box, but is it really worth 100-200eur plus???
I rather give 400eur and go for the bigger air2 if I was you. That easy!

You say those 3 improvements alone tell you that the Mini 2 has gone from being a toy to that of a real drone... are you sure you've had a mini1 in the 1st place?!? It may be a toy, but hell, what a toy! And I'm sure all that had it for a while will say that it beats many pro drones they had in the past...

These aren't real improvements... just blings...

By the way, the mini1 already charged the phone and most of us think it would be nice if it didn't have to charge it whenever you use it with the drone.
The dedicated rc may be compatible, but is not ideal at all for a small, light, traveling drone... again it's all bling, in my opinion.
I tell you all this, because, as many of you, I too would like to have a new and better drone and didn't want to spend the extra 400eur for the air 2 or even worse pay it all (I won't surrender my mini that easy), but selling a mini to buy a beetle is not what I'd call the best move...
I think we are getting the point- you are happy to stick with what you have rather than take a loss to move to the latest model.

I don’t see how this is different to looking at the later model car, camera, phone or pretty much anything else and comparing the features to the last one your stuck with for a while.

That’s how this works. To say there aren’t improvements is a foolish endeavour.

I'm actually considering moving to the next one. Just don't think the mini2 is a good enough improvement. On the other hand, the air2 is... that is my point of view, anyway.
The thing that annoyed me is that many are saying this is a fantastic improvement, when it isn't more than a minor "facelift"... it's the same car with 5hp +...
I'm sorry if I was unpleasant by pushing my opinion here, but I couldn't keep silently watching so many people following the foolish idea of a Beast vs a Lamb... neither is a beast or a lamb.They are more like fake twins...
Now if you compare it to the air2, that's another story!

I'm actually considering moving to the next one. Just don't think the mini2 is a good enough improvement. On the other hand, the air2 is... that is my point of view, anyway.
The thing that annoyed me is that many are saying this is a fantastic improvement, when it isn't more than a minor "facelift"... it's the same car with 5hp +...
I'm sorry if I was unpleasant by pushing my opinion here, but I couldn't keep silently watching so many people following the foolish idea of a Beast vs a Lamb... neither is a beast or a lamb.They are more like fake twins...
Now if you compare it to the air2, that's another story!
I’m not sure about the 5hp+ analogy- at least not with respect to occusync being added to the mini2. It would be more like comparing 4wd to 2wd. A wasted investment if you have no need to go off sealed roads, worth every cent otherwise. If you don’t need to fly outside the limited range if the mini1 fair enough.

The comparison here is like a phantom standard vs advanced. The addition of light bridge on the advance made it a great upgrade for most users.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine