DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MINI 3 PRO FILTERS HARD STOP VARIABLE ND

This is the first I've heard of them, but they might be worth a shot. B&H has them for $49. If you have a "Payboo" card there is no sales tax.

B and H Freeweel variable filters

No drone "needs" ND-filters... it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. ND-filters is the main tool to use if you want to mod the motion blur.
Some folks reported about problem with foggy lens so i thought filters might help to prevent from this situation.

Some folks reported about problem with foggy lens so i thought filters might help to prevent from this situation.
A ND-filter is mainly sun glasses for your lens, depending on strength (how dark), it will slow down the shutter speed more or less in order to achieve a correct exposure... as the shutter will be slower than without a filter, the motion blur will increase.

If the above is inline with what you want, a ND is applicable... not for preventing fog internally in the camera. That's either a warranty case or that you need to learn how to equal the camera temperature with the ambient if it's large differences, for instance put the drone in an air tight plastic bag when carrying it from an outside below freezing temp, to inside room temp...& don't take the drone out from the bag until the drone have warmed up.

Reactions: MGVision
If you want smooth video, you need ND filters.

Freewell puts out some good one, as does DJI themselves. Variable ND tend to introduce color shift, so I'm not a fan of them. I do use one on my Panasonics for ground video. But it's a very nice (& expensive) B+W VND.

Just use the fixed ones from DJI or Freewell. PolarPro puts out nice filters too.

Filters are one of those things where you get what you pay for!

A common misconception.

A better statement would be "if you want motion blur from fast-moving subject matter, ND filters are one way to achieve it."
Definitely not a common misperception. Just a different way to say it.

Does mini 3 pro need ND filters? If so which one should i buy?
I was thinking about
Someone tried those variable filters from freewell?
Do you have any opinions or are they worth to buy?
I simply us a UV filter made by Pgytech. Freewill makes them too. It really cuts down on sun glare over water or off objects.

I simply us a UV filter made by Pgytech. Freewill makes them too. It really cuts down on sun glare over water or off objects.
The only filter that will cut down a glare over water (& reflections on windows) is a polarizing filter. All the UV filter does is slightly warm up the overall image.

Anyone who thinks you don't need ND's doesn't know.
My question:
I usually either go with DJI's kits or Polar Pros, but the only kit I've found from DJI is a 16, 64, and 256 which is odd. I normally use a 4 for sunsets or sunrises, and 8 for over cast days and a 16/32 for bright days. So why is the DJI kits range so wide? I wondered if it's something to do with the tiny sensor'd camera? I'm not planning on shooting solar eclipses.

Anyone who thinks you don't need ND's doesn't know.
My question:
I usually either go with DJI's kits or Polar Pros, but the only kit I've found from DJI is a 16, 64, and 256 which is odd. I normally use a 4 for sunsets or sunrises, and 8 for over cast days and a 16/32 for bright days. So why is the DJI kits range so wide? I wondered if it's something to do with the tiny sensor'd camera? I'm not planning on shooting solar eclipses.
The 256 works well in the blazing sun. (trust me) The fixed aperture on the M3p/mini3 is the reason I guess.

Reactions: serfy
The 256 works well in the blazing sun. (trust me) The fixed aperture on the M3p/mini3 is the reason I guess.
Do you ever shoot sunsets/sunrises? Golden hour is more of a thing than shooting on dry lake beds at noon. For me this is more of a toy, (I have a M3 Pro, inspire, etc) a drone for social programs or something to fly legally over concerts that I can provide a feed for live streams.

Do you ever shoot sunsets/sunrises? Golden hour is more of a thing than shooting on dry lake beds at noon. For me this is more of a toy, (I have a M3 Pro, inspire, etc) a drone for social programs or something to fly legally over concerts that I can provide a feed for live streams.
Sunrises mainly but I tried out the 256ND just for curiosity and it provided good results in the heatwave last year when it was 90F plus midday ish.
Anything else it's just too dark for!

Last edited:
Guys, it's because of the f1.7 aperture. It's almost 2x the light from most other drone models with fixed aperture. So double the ND filter in most cases.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580