DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Pro Fly More Kit Plus Now!

Addition: in the US with the FAA ... (like Ken's video though to see what is going across the ocean). ;)

Fortunately not applicable to the rest of the world like EASA airspace (recreationally):

View attachment 151474
Source: Open Category - Civil Drones | EASA
So looking at that chart, if I have a Mini 3 with the extended battery (so about 270 g) that is still an A1 drone. I'd need training, but I'd need that anyway as the Mini 3 has a camera and isn't a toy. And after the cutover in 2023, <500 becomes <900 g (according to the website).

Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Unfortunately my trusty Mavic 2 is 907 g, so will probably have to remain at home for next year's hoped-for trip.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
So looking at that chart, if I have a Mini 3 with the extended battery (so about 270 g) that is still an A1 drone. I'd need training, but I'd need that anyway as the Mini 3 has a camera and isn't a toy. And after the cutover in 2023, <500 becomes <900 g (according to the website).

Unfortunately my trusty Mavic 2 is 907 g, so will probably have to remain at home for next year's hoped-for trip.

It depends where you live - the chart isn't correct for sub-250g camera drones in the UK.

CAP-722: "Apart from subcategory A1 operations involving unmanned aircraft that have a mass of less than 250g, all remote pilots operating in the Open category are required to complete an online training course and successfully complete an online theory test"

CAP-722: "Less than 250g or class C0 - competency requirements: Read the user manual"

CAP-722: "Class C0 and UA less than 250g flying weight: • No flight over assemblies of people.", "Class C1 and ‘A1 Transitional: No intentional flight over uninvolved persons."

You are spot on for EASA. 👏
For now, you are safe even with < 500 g but when legacy runs out, you are pretty much done. So that's why < 250 g get way more attention I guess from both suppliers and buyers.

CAA already had some minor facilitations concerning age and competency, you are right, but the operation area is exactly the same (as is the framwork which UK took part in developing before Brexit):

View attachment 151491
Source: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2012_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 7.pdf

In the UK version of the chart you can find "Fly over uninvolved people, but not over crowds" which isn't listed in the EASA chart which says "No flight expected over uninvolved people (if it happens, overflight should be minimised)" - to me they mean different things.

@cah
I think, the table is a bit misleading for EASA.
It always speaks of possible but should be avoided, ie not be aimed to fly constantly over uninvolved people:

c0.PNG

So you are allowed but it should not be your main focues as far as I understand, which leads to more or less to the same thing for CAA, just without the word "avoid" but "you must never put people in danger" or instead of "expected".

caa_c0.PNG

Last edited:
Whatever the UK regulations say, it's seems completely sensible to avoid flying over the top of uninvolved people, something I try hard not to do. I'm not sure how much a 249g drone would hurt falling from 120m, but I'm not keen to find out!

It depends where you live - the chart isn't correct for sub-250g camera drones in the UK.
I live in Canada, where 250g is the critical limit. I hope to visit Europe next year (or the year after) for a photography trip and want to bring a drone with me

I live in Canada, where 250g is the critical limit. I hope to visit Europe next year (or the year after) for a photography trip and want to bring a drone with me
Be sure to check out before:

It's easy and straightforward, you can do everything online and enjoy flying later on your trip with the ease of mind being totally within the legal obligations.

Reactions: Robert Prior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42