DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Pro: RAW/DNG Lightroom Develop Profiles and Image Quality

CJG

Reactions
Morning all!

I wonder if anyone can help me with this puzzle.

With my Mini 2, when processing RAW/DNG images in the Lightroom Classic Develop Module, I had the choice of "Adobe Color", "Adobe Landscape" develop profiles etc.

But with the more advanced Mini 3 Pro I have bought, I don't have this option: when I process RAW/DNG files from this model, I just get "Colour" and "Monochrome" (& browse for artistic profiles).

I did have this problem back-in-the-day with my Mavic Pro, but I thought things had moved on since then!

Another interesting thought is that images from the Mini 3 Pro are really good: too good for a a RAW/DNG file which I thought should always require some post-processing to get the best out of them. Could this observation and the above be linked. And yes, I have checked that I have not imported only JPGs by mistake!

Any thoughts/solutions would be appreciated!

CG

Last edited:
Although I use Lightroom Classic, I have noticed this. @Dale D might be able to help

Reactions: CJG
I've noticed the exact same issue. It also causes my Presets to throw up an error as they appear to be based on the Adobe Standard profile, which doesn't exist for these files.Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 22.26.09.pngScreenshot 2023-04-13 at 22.26.24.png

Last edited:
Lightroom doesn't appear to have built in profiles for the Mini 3 Pro. I've noticed the same thing. I couldn't find anything on DJI's site to download profiles for it.

Lightroom doesn't appear to have built in profiles for the Mini 3 Pro. I've noticed the same thing. I couldn't find anything on DJI's site to download profiles for it.
Even without camera matching profiles, the standard Adobe profiles should still be there though. It’s very odd.

Even without camera matching profiles, the standard Adobe profiles should still be there though. It’s very odd.
I’ve chased this with a Lightroom Expert I can contact who says:

”The Mini Pro 3 isn’t fully supported by Adobe as yet, hence the basic profiles. However, as it produces DNG files, Lightroom is able to read them.”

I guess the Mini 3 Pro isn’t as high up the food chain as Canon, Nikon etc!

Hmmm….

Not convinced Adobe will do anything soon: after all, the Mini 3P has been out for quite a long time now
Took them a while to add camera matching profiles to the Canon 90D and R models, but they did stick to their word when it was looking unlikely.

Morning all!

I wonder if anyone can help me with this puzzle.

With my Mini 2, when processing RAW/DNG images in the Lightroom Classic Develop Module, I had the choice of "Adobe Color", "Adobe Landscape" develop profiles etc.

But with the more advanced Mini 3 Pro I have bought, I don't have this option: when I process RAW/DNG files from this model, I just get "Colour" and "Monochrome" (& browse for artistic profiles).

I did have this problem back-in-the-day with my Mavic Pro, but I thought things had moved on since then!

Another interesting thought is that images from the Mini 3 Pro are really good: too good for a a RAW/DNG file which I thought should always require some post-processing to get the best out of them. Could this observation and the above be linked. And yes, I have checked that I have not imported only JPGs by mistake!

Any thoughts/solutions would be appreciated!

CG
Why not just use LUTS and find a profile that you like? The default profiles in Adobe are just that, Adobe has not been provided with additional profiles by DJI. If you have a raw file, you can do anything you want.

Reactions: CJG
Why not just use LUTS and find a profile that you like? The default profiles in Adobe are just that, Adobe has not been provided with additional profiles by DJI. If you have a raw file, you can do anything you want.
Thanks for this @whitecaps: I thought LUTs were only for video editing rather than still photography.

I guess I have some learning to do! Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks for this @whitecaps: I thought LUTs were only for video editing rather than still photography.

I guess I have some learning to do! Any guidance would be appreciated!
I use a combination of presets and LUTS. Presets show up on your left side in LR, but LUTS show up on the right side in your profile browser. There is lots of documentation out there on installing and using them.

I googled the difference...

What is the difference between LUTs and presets in Photoshop?

In the realm of photo editing, LUTs are different from presets and the terms are not interchangeable. Presets are more established and can target parameters that LUTs cannot, such as sharpening. LUTs are useful in photo retouching, but only tweak hue chroma and luma values.

I use a combination of presets and LUTS. Presets show up on your left side in LR, but LUTS show up on the right side in your profile browser. There is lots of documentation out there on installing and using them.

I googled the difference...

What is the difference between LUTs and presets in Photoshop?

In the realm of photo editing, LUTs are different from presets and the terms are not interchangeable. Presets are more established and can target parameters that LUTs cannot, such as sharpening. LUTs are useful in photo retouching, but only tweak hue chroma and luma values.
Thanks for this @whitecaps: much appreciated

I still use Lightroom v5.71 - the last before the subscription pricing model came out. I use Adobe DNG converter to convert to Adobe .dng and import the files. I wonder if DNG converter would make those options available for you all?

I created a workflow preset based on this YouTube video and rarely have to tweak any more settings: Learn Lightroom 5 - Part 3: The Develop Workflow (Training Tutorial)

An engineer-not-expert-photographer thought: Would an exif editor allow modifying the image file to spoof the Mini2, and if that worked, would those presets even work with the very different sensor from the mini 3?

I have Affinity Photo, can you describe your workflow using LUTS for stills?
Import the photo and do your preliminary adjustments (white balance etc). Add an adjustment layer selecting LUT. I use the panel on the side so when I click on LUT it expands and shows me all the LUTs I have loaded.

Once I’ve added the LUT I play with the opacity of the adjustment layer until I like the look. For landscapes somewhere between 70% and 80% feels right.

How to import LUTs so they're always available from the Adjustment panel:

Some online tutorials:

I mostly use the Arran and Braemar LUTs from the Drone Film Grade pack by Stewart & Alina, which I picked up on sale.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato