DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Newbie here

RonRob61

Reactions
HI All! Obviously I'm new to the forum but far from new from flying RC. Actually my job is Chief test pilot for a developing VTOL aircraft. I work directly with the programmers of the auto pilot system and my job for the past 4 years consists of flying everyday, (sweet gig) ;)
I've been flying RC Helis and Planes for over 15 years and over the past few years started flying FPV race drones as well. I own a few racers and have had my eye on DJI for as long as I can remember. I finally pulled the trigger. Recent Purchase:
Mavic 2 Zoom bundled with Smart Controller and Fly More Kit
Accessories: 1 more battery for a total of 4
Replaced fly more DJI charger with one that charges all 4 batteries simultaneously
PGYTECH foldable landing gear extensions
PGYTECH prop retainers for when its folded
PGYTECH Landing Pad
Glass screen protector for the Smart Controller
Silicone case for Smart Controller
Neck strap for Smart Controller
Semi Hard case that fits everything perfectly and is as small as possible
I had ordered everything on Amazon and everything came within a few days, It was like X-mas in March around here! I have to say Im very happy with my choices so far, especially the charger...........its sweet and fast! All 4 batteries in under 90 mins.
I bought this If anyone is interested:

I've been out 5 or 6 times so far, flew all 4 batteries every time and so far dont feel as if Im missing anything essential from my bag. But then again, that's why I'm here. Tp pick up tips from all of you folks and hopefully as I become more familiar with my toy be able to contribute as well.

Attachments

• 20200413_020243.jpg
    20200413_020243.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 17
Hi RonRob61 welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Nice setup, you may want to add some ND filters or a variable ND filter when you get into filming / photography side of things.
Thank you Cyborg. The bundle i bought came with some filters as well, 6 of them of which 3 are ND. Sunny AZ here and in general i leave ND4 on the quad for now. Im very comfortable with flying the thing, i mean, i handed it over to my 85 year old mom, its pretty easy. So Im just starting to see it as the flying camera that it is. Got some beautiful shots today. Im really looking forward to the desert blooming.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. Nice setup. You will find all sorts of support and comments. Wish you well on your flights. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Welcome to the forum RonRob.

Do you find yourself trying to work the sticks more than is needed though ? ?
After flying FPV you must find the M2Z pretty effortless.

Hard to beat them for good cinematic video and photos though.
Enjoy the new machine.

No over control issues at all but a lot of past experience is to thank. My very first flight consisted of launch and hover. 5 feet or so off the ground left/right/forward /backward and yaw, tested all through out the input ranges and saw how the tiniest inputs resulted in really nice, steady reactions. Played with Tripod/Normal/Sport modes all within 100 feet of myself so I could see how the Mavic behaves in each. Went in and adjusted Braking gain as well before venturing off the first time. As a drone test pilot its pretty much ingrained in me to understand as much as I can of the flight characteristics and controls before getting more adventurous.
It s great question and by far the most prevalent problem for new pilots. When I purchased my Zoom I showed it to a friend and the next day he bought an Air. He has never flown anything but of course took to flying the Air easily. But its not pretty, no way hes crashing but man talk about over controlling. He keeps bumping the sticks, trying to "NUDGE" the quad rather then flying smoothly in slow flight.
He and I have been flying together, its alot of fun and great match. I have piloting experience and Im constantly working with him on his flight control, but im no photographer and the camera is more of a challenge for me. On the other hand he is a great photographer, even has a published coffee table book of his work so hes been helping me out with the camera.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have piloting experience and Im constantly working with him on his flight control, but im no photographer and the camera is more of a challenge for me. On the other hand he is a great photographer, even has a published coffee table book of his work so hes been helping me out with the camera.

Sounds like you two will benefit from each others strengths.
Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder