DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Newbie's rambling thoughts on the Mini 2

nathankw

Reactions
I'm not a completely new drone flyer. I've had some little toy ones and did have a Parrot Bebop 1 a few years back (but never really got on with it.)

Now I'm back into drones with a new Mini 2.
And... I absolutely love it.

It's an incredible machine, a beauty to fly and great footage.

Thought it might be useful to put in a few things I've discovered / not discovered.

Impressions:
Easy to set up, simple to fly. Amazingly steady - even in a bit of wind.
I expected a drone of this size would be for calm days only but seems like it'll cope with the winds on most days.
I've yet to have it struggle though obviously I wouldn't take it out in a gale.

Battery life great - easily 20 mins and I've not been pushing it.
With 3 batteries I get cold and tired before the drone runs out.
Range is also brilliant. It'll be out of sight long before the connection gets weak.

Things I've discovered: (A few things that weren't obvious to me but I discovered thanks to forums and videos. )

- The function key can be used to zoom (hold down and operate the tilt control)
- How to change the resolution of quickshots to 4k (you need to go into quickshots mode then into settings/camera - not obvious)
- Despite reviews saying it has no tracking - the quickshots will actually track the marked target even if it moves - as long as it doesn't move too much
- Why the radar display kept disappearing (the map has to be shrunk down completely - you can't have both which is a slight shame)

Things which don't work:
- Quick Tranfer mode - I just can't get my phone to connect. Sometimes the connection button appears but it fails to connect.
- Sometimes I get an odd green screen effect. It goes if I close down and restart the app.
These are probably related to my phone (android Xiaomi Note 9). It's not on the official list so fair enough that some things don't work 100%.
The main app is fine and I've had no trouble in flight.

Things I'm not sure of:
- How to change the framerate in quickshots - it always seems to be 30fps. Not a big deal but odd when you can change the regular video mode to 25.
- Where I'm allowed to fly it, but that's for another thread.

You won't have many options with Quickshots. The point of QS is to be quick in getting a particular video maneuver.

> Incoming drone police

I hope no one takes me to mean that one should fly it beyond line of sight - I certainly have no intention of doing so (I'd be worried about losing it as well as the legal aspect).
My point was that the occu-sync is so good that connection range should never be a problem since the VLOS will be the limiting factor.

> You won't have many options with Quickshots.

I'm sure the options on the bigger mavics are much greater - but I was still impressed by the quickshots on the Mini 2. They seem to be quick but also quite versatile.

Quick Tranfer mode - I just can't get my phone to connect. Sometimes the connection button appears but it fails to connect.
That’s a shame. It’s a good feature. First time I tried it, the speeds weren’t great, around 2/3MBps. Next couple of times it shot up to 19/21MBps ?

@nathankw Is the zoom smooth and stepless, or does it jump to 2x zoom?
It’s smooth. You control the speed. If you use the wheel on the controller to zoom it’s actually very good.

Reactions: hiflyer201 and scro

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11