DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC 2 worth it over the regular controller?

Yaros

Reactions
I currently own a Mavic Air 2 with the standard controller, but looking to upgrade the drone, which means I'll have to update controller as well.
For context, I own a Pixel 6 phone which I use for flying and it works fairly well, no issues.

Looking at the smart controllers from DJI, they seem a bit expensive for me, but are they worth it?

The set up time to get flying is not really an issue for me as I also fly FPV and setting that up is much more a hustle than is setting up a Mavic for flight 😅.

Anyone could recommend to get/avoid the new generation of smart controllers?

ONLY the Air 3 can use the RC 2. It is a great drone and good controller. It's not a RC Pro, but much better than the RC.
My bad, I didn't know the Mini 4 Pro is also O4.

Last edited:
ONLY the Air 3 can use the RC 2...
And the Mini 4 Pro.

And @Yaros ... if you have a need for other apps besides those included in the RC or RC2, bear in mind these controllers aren't powerhouses & that it's mainly not possible to sideload more apps to those controllers or have Google Play installed by default... maybe by finding & fiddle around with modded version of G. Play (think I've read that somewhere at least).

Reactions: mobilehomer
I currently own a Mavic Air 2 with the standard controller, but looking to upgrade the drone, which means I'll have to update controller as well.
For context, I own a Pixel 6 phone which I use for flying and it works fairly well, no issues.

Looking at the smart controllers from DJI, they seem a bit expensive for me, but are they worth it?

The set up time to get flying is not really an issue for me as I also fly FPV and setting that up is much more a hustle than is setting up a Mavic for flight 😅.

Anyone could recommend to get/avoid the new generation of smart controllers?
The phone I have is an iPhone 14 max and the RC two is way better than that for me. Anyway, the screen is just brighter and stays that way longer than my phone and just more convenient.

Reactions: NoBozos
I love my controller also because of the screen brightness. On a sunny day a phone just don’t cut it.

Reactions: EricJT
I will follow this post with interest. Setting up the I phone is no problem but that dark screen on bright days is a bummer. When I finish with my Mini 2 I will be looking at the controller on a replacement drone.

If you fly mostly FPV then why are you considering anything new? If you intend to fly and look at a controller, then it's hands down a smart controller. If you hardly ever fly using a controller and phone then you don't need a Smart Controller. It's your choice, however, if you want to know the difference between a phone and a SC, then it's a no brainer, go with the SC.

Reactions: EricJT
And the Mini 4 Pro.

And @Yaros ... if you have a need for other apps besides those included in the RC or RC2, bear in mind these controllers aren't powerhouses & that it's mainly not possible to sideload more apps to those controllers or have Google Play installed by default... maybe by finding & fiddle around with modded version of G. Play (think I've read that somewhere at least).
Fixed, I didn't know the Mini 4 Pro is also O4.

I would wait for the new RC3 controller. DJI brings out new smart controllers every so often without any backward compatibility…

Reactions: Yaros
I would wait for the new RC3 controller. DJI brings out new smart controllers every so often without any backward compatibility…
Welp, I already bought the Air 3 fly More combo with RC2, it's pretty new. I like it very much, better than flying with a phone.

Completely agree. Flying with a phone gets old very quickly. Even with a small tablet (like an Apple IPad mini). I have the RC Pro w my Mavic 3. It's a dream.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne