DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC 3D printed sun shade (clipon)

mroek

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I have designed a simple sun shade for the new DJI RC. It slides over the controller, and the wings on the shade follows the curvature of the grips of the RC very closely. I really struggled getting this right, as it is a complex curvature to recreate when you have to do it manually.

To really shade the sun you'd probably need a much larger sun shade, but this one also helps a little. However, it does make the sticks less comfortable to use, but that's a compromise I can live with in order to better see the screen.

When mounted, it looks like this:

mounted_to_rc.jpg

Here's a really short video clip:

And finally, here's the link to the file, should you want to purchase it to print yourself:

I have added a taller version (70 mm vs 50 mm for the original) now, and there's also a version with cutouts for the fingers. The cutouts makes it more comfortable when using the sticks, but they also make youhave to angle the controller a bit differently to see the uppermost corners of the screen properly.

I'm keeping the local "printer" busy with your stuff! Keep it coming. :D Can you post a photo of the one with the cutout, not quite sure I understand what you did and why it would be an issue.

Edit: OK, I think I see it on your Cults listing. Looked like a reflection until I looked closer. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mroek
Just want to say that I finally got my Mini 3 and used your sunshade (had it printed by a local guy) and it was absolutely perfect. Worked and fit like it was made for the controller by DJI. Sitting in the hot sun here in Central Florida with a flying club (unfortunately no one else had a mini-3) everyone asked if the controller came with the shade and wanted one for their devices. Nice job. And to add, the "cutout" presented no problem at all.

Edit: your little uSD ejector worked great too. I totally forgot I also had your landing legs, gonna try them next time. :) :)

Last edited:
There's an alternate design here if you have a 3D printer (not my design):

I might give this one a go, even though I'm not so keen on it using the bottom mounts to fasten on (I prefer the clip-on design). For both I'm concerned it impedes the control sticks too heavily (even with the cutouts).

The ultimate answer might be a large fabric hood that covers and shades the whole controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo
Anyone know where I can go to get this printed near Coconut Grove in Miami, FL? Or just want to put a printed one (with the cutouts) on Etsy?

Anyone know where I can go to get this printed near Coconut Grove in Miami, FL? Or just want to put a printed one (with the cutouts) on Etsy?
Your best bet is probably to find someone with a printer that could help you out. People would not be allowed to sell these on Etsy without making a deal with me. Purchasing the files does not give people a commercial license, it is stricly for personal use.

No, sorry. I don't have access to the RC Pro, which would be a necessity to design accessories for it.
I hear you. Could you work with a 3D scan with a few caliper measurements? I could provide those from my RC Pro. It could be a lot of work, so no worries if that's not an interest.

I hear you. Could you work with a 3D scan with a few caliper measurements? I could provide those from my RC Pro. It could be a lot of work, so no worries if that's not an interest.

Potentially, but getting good 3D-scans are often a challenge, and not being able to test the actual fit of the item is a big disadvantage, which I am not really comfortable with. If I could get my hands on a RC Pro to borrow, that would have been better. However, it is still quite a bit of work to design this to make it a near perfect fit (which is what I always strive for), and given that I don't need it myself, it is somewhat hard to justify the time spent.

Reactions: Debaser_AZ
Your best bet is probably to find someone with a printer that could help you out. People would not be allowed to sell these on Etsy without making a deal with me. Purchasing the files does not give people a commercial license, it is stricly for personal use.
I am old and none of my friends have 3D printers )-:

I paid the $2.60 to download and tried a few online printers. Domestic prices for print/ship were like $60 for one unit.

Maybe off topic for this thread a bit... anyone have suggestions for online print/ship? Or anyone with a printer willing to help out? (-;

EDIT: I did find that my son's friend has an Ender 3 Pro. Will this print on that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Potentially, but getting good 3D-scans are often a challenge, and not being able to test the actual fit of the item is a big disadvantage, which I am not really comfortable with. If I could get my hands on a RC Pro to borrow, that would have been better. However, it is still quite a bit of work to design this to make it a near perfect fit (which is what I always strive for), and given that I don't need it myself, it is somewhat hard to justify the time spent.
True about the scans and the work just to fix those. I completely understand and thanks for considering!

I think the 3-D printing thing is a great idea if you have access to someone who would print it for you at a reasonable cost. As a sidenote, if someone doesn’t like the amount of shade it provides, something like that is easily extended with nothing more than cardboard, gaffers tape and Velcro. While I didn’t use it very much, I created a shade extension to attach to one of those seven dollar screen shades that one would hook onto the phone with large rubber ears.

Granted, the screen shade offered by STARTRC looks very weird, sort of like the flying nun (if you’re old enough to remember that program) the wings on the side seem to offer shade from the reflections coming from the sides. And yes, it needed some slight modification to be able to access the pulldown menu. It’s a pity that they didn’t think of that in the design. But the thing folds relatively flat, which I think is a good feature. I think I would have to be super creative to figure out how to transport a 3-D printed shade that has no ability to fold flat or flatter. How are you guys packing the 3-D printed screenshade?

What I think I like about the commercial one is that my thumbs don’t have to work around the design. I can see how the thumb screws to mount the shade might be cumbersome for some. But for me the thumbscrews are a separate feature which I’ve illustrated in my earlier reply. I

1658440860591.png

Last edited:
I think the 3-D printing thing is a great idea if you have access to someone who would print it for you at a reasonable cost. As a sidenote, if someone doesn’t like the amount of shade it provides, something like that is easily extended with nothing more than cardboard, gaffers tape and Velcro. While I didn’t use it very much, I created a shade extension to attach to one of those seven dollar screen shades that one would hook onto the phone with large rubber ears.

If you look around, there are people who will print them for $6 + shipping as long as long as you purchase and supply the file first. Also post on social media for a local person who has a printer. I found there are a lot more than you would imagine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J